When does a cat grow up?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I've got a 15 month old and he still acts like a kitten.

He chews through shoe laces in under 30 seconds. Anything with laces needs to be out of reach. Same with open drinks. I have to remind guest to keep all out of reach or he will destroy.

He does this thing around 9pm every night he's been doing since I got him as a 5 month old. He goes ape shit and runs around the apartment liked a crazed maniac.

He hasn't changed at all in since I got him. If anything, he's smarter and figures out things better now. He's 13 lbs now and just keeps growing!

When do they reach adulthood?!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412
    Prob right around when they listen to Yield and it becomes the cats fav album - J/K!

Not sure but good luck with the cat. As an FYI my neighbors cat is 3 and still acts the same. So I think it depends.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Sounds a lot like my cat. He's 12.
  • Grow up??

Its a fucking cat...
    It has the brain the size of a quarter.....

hehehehe

Now go buy a ball of yarn, and play with the little fucker!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    I have 2 cats. One is around 5 1/2 the other one is almost 4. And they still "play", chase stuff, bat stuff, run around and act young. I have some friends who have older cats (8-10 years old) and they act child like as well sometimes. So yeah you got a long ways still.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    our's is about 8. he's pretty calm...unless he see's something outside....if it's the roaming cat that stops by every once and a while he is all over it....trying to find a window that he can see it from
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    My cats are at least 5-6 years old, and they still act like kittens. Some cats never grow up.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    Mine is about 5. She's mostly calm, but at times she goes nuts and runs, jumps, and attacks (play attack). She often goes crazy for about 15 mins straight then wears herself out and takes a nap. :lol:
    Since she's been a kitten, the thing that pisses me off the most is how she won't allow something to be closed. Shell be hanging out, I'll leave for 5 minutes, come home and she's opened all my doors, closets, drawers to my dresser...pulls the socks out, and will get up on my counters and knock shit off. I recorded her once...
    The second the door closed, she went running...made her rounds, then in the video you can see she stopped (heard my car pull up), then ran back to the exact same spot she was in when I left. Like "oh, I didn't do it...I haven't moved...". What a little shit! :lol:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    It really depends on the cat..it has more to do with their personality. My cat that I had in college and after loved to knock shit of the table especially drinks..he never stopped playing fetch and carrying his toys around even when he was an adult. I have 2 cats now that are almost 8..Frank is more mellow, but Jonas (my avatar) still plays with his toys like a kitten..and gets into whatever he can. I got them together (they were cage mates at the SPCA) and they still play and wrestle each other after all these years...
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    15 months is still only a little over a year old, practically a baby. :D

My kitty will be four this year and she's still pretty much the same as when I got her (she was about 1 then). :) Loves to play, fetch and sleep. She gets that go-crazy-go-go moment almost every evening too, I don't really mind, she doesn't destroy stuff.

What would you want your cat to do when he "grows up"? :think: Cause some cats never do. :P
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,705
    Out store cat is about 11 but she's always been a cranky old girl. I keep telling the others, "You just have to know how to talk to her." Each has its own little quirks. Yours might always be a young soul so-to-speak.

But no matter what- remember this: Unlike dogs who think we are gods, cat's know who is god or goddess!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    My cats are 16...the one has always been a little old lady...sleeps a lot, grumpy, not very active. The other one still acts like a kitten. She's a maniac. Still always climbing stuff, getting into trouble. She acts like she's 6 months old, not 16 years. It could be a long road for you :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I love this thread! And I'm with the consensus on typically-once-a-kitten-always-a-kitten.

George is only 1-1/2, a HUGE motherfucker, active as all get-out, swats more (paper) balls than Babe Ruth...

...yet meows like a little girl.

We love him though.

(even when he hogs the covers)

Enjoy everything about yours! It's one of those kickass parts of life.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    My cat is 7 and still acts up alot. She'll still run around and chasing small things on the floor. If I want to play with her she still goes wild. If they have wild personalities I dont think they calm down at an age.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09