The Music Never Stopped

cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I just saw the most wonderful movie about the power of music, called "The Music Never Stopped". I know I'm preaching to the choir here about the power of music because anyone who has listened to Pearl Jam and pays money to be here understands it. The movie is based on Oliver Sacks' essay "The Last Hippie" from a book called 'The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat' about a man who develops a brain tumor that takes away his ability to form new memories while being away from his family during the mid-late 60s, up to 1970. Their doctor has the young man meet with a music therapist (Julia Ormond) and she unlocks that rock music, not the music of the father, is the key to his sons' memory. The father who is admittedly square, (J.K. Simmons [Juno and The Closer]), immerses himself in his son's music and they end up at a Grateful Dead concert which the father wins tickets to. The movie takes place in 1986 right after Touch of Grey came out. I know there have been many comparisons to Pearl Jam concerts and the Grateful Dead and while having never been to a Grateful Dead concert myself, I can only listen to what others tell me. The movie is kinda of well "duh of course that's going to happen" but the performances are really excellent. Has anyone else seen this movie? If you have I'd like to know what you think. If you haven't, pick it up somewhere.
Boston 5/17/10
Tres Mts. 3/27/11
EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Havent seen the movie but I've read about this in Oliver Sacks' book Musicophelia
    Very interesting book, but I got bored and never finished it. Too scientific/text book for me.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I will put that movie on my list to see ;) thanks for sharing!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    Havent seen the movie but I've read about this in Oliver Sacks' book Musicophelia
    Very interesting book, but I got bored and never finished it. Too scientific/text book for me.

I forgot to mention that book. I was planning on it too. It's been in my "to read" pile for about 4 years, meaning I will probably never read it.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years