15 Minutes

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
It's said that everyone gets 15 minutes of fame. I'm still waiting...I think. At least I hope I didn't have it and missed it. Has anyone here had their 15 minutes yet? :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I'm on my 37th year

(in my mind anyway....fame is what you make of it)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • I had 5 seconds of my 15 minutes when I was broadcast internationally (ESPN here at home) on tv during the US National Anthem of the US-Poland Game 3 of the group matches from Korea during the 2002 World Cup.

It was at like 4 AM stateside, but my brother in law still woke up my wife (his sister) with a call telling her he saw me on tv. I have it on VHS. Gotta dig that out and relive it waiting for my remaining 14:55 I still have left.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    I had 5 seconds of my 15 minutes when I was broadcast internationally (ESPN here at home) on tv during the US National Anthem of the US-Poland Game 3 of the group matches from Korea during the 2002 World Cup.

It was at like 4 AM stateside, but my brother in law still woke up my wife (his sister) with a call telling her he saw me on tv. I have it on VHS. Gotta dig that out and relive it waiting for my remaining 14:55 I still have left.

wishing you better luck on the score for the remaining 14:55 of your stardom ;)
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • Bigda wrote:
    I had 5 seconds of my 15 minutes when I was broadcast internationally (ESPN here at home) on tv during the US National Anthem of the US-Poland Game 3 of the group matches from Korea during the 2002 World Cup.

:lol: Still made the final 8 that year. So, I guess you can always say you beat a team that made the final 8 in a World Cup.

But, to that point - it was sort of a surreal couple hours. While the US vs. Potugal and Korea games were packed, they gave tickets to local Korean military to fill the stadium. US lets up 2 quick ones (the EXACT opposite of the opening upset of Portugal that is one of the top sporting experiences of my life), Portugal is sure to beat Korea who has already gone through with the US impending loss and it seems the tournament's over for them. Poland scores another goal midway through the 2nd half, it's awful. Then, a few minutes later, Korea scores their goal!!!!! - the military personnel is going crazy, the US fans are going crazy (as this would put us through). Donovan scores a late, meaningless goal, but we're all paying attention to what's going on in the Portugal game. Then, after the game, we're partying with our bus in the parking lot watching fire works.... A 1-3 drubbing never felt so good. :lol:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    Bigda wrote:

:lol: Still made the final 8 that year. So, I guess you can always say you beat a team that made the final 8 in a World Cup.

But, to that point - it was sort of a surreal couple hours. While the US vs. Potugal and Korea games were packed, they gave tickets to local Korean military to fill the stadium. US lets up 2 quick ones (the EXACT opposite of the opening upset of Portugal that is one of the top sporting experiences of my life), Portugal is sure to beat Korea who has already gone through with the US impending loss and it seems the tournament's over for them. Poland scores another goal midway through the 2nd half, it's awful. Then, a few minutes later, Korea scores their goal!!!!! - the military personnel is going crazy, the US fans are going crazy (as this would put us through). Donovan scores a late, meaningless goal, but we're all paying attention to what's going on in the Portugal game. Then, after the game, we're partying with our bus in the parking lot watching fire works.... A 1-3 drubbing never felt so good. :lol:
    fantastic memories, Mate! i am jealous. BUT...:)
    no buts. you made it to final 8, we beat your team. everybody happy. long gone and forgotten;) awful tournament for Polish team. just like every other after Korea.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    In the 6th grade, we had something called "News Quiz" ... a bit of a current events based weekly game all the elemnetary schools in my town did.

There was a town wide competition at the local Elks lodge late in the school year, each school picking their best players.

It was broadcast on local cable access, LIVE ... and then reshown many times in the next few months.

I was my schools ringer in sports and science ... and we won.

Yup ... 6th grade ... I was a TV child star!

Sadly, I went all Dana Plato and was holding up liquor stores and strung out on meth by 8th grade.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,707
    So far, I've only had a few minutes of infamy here and there. :oops:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    brianlux wrote:

Infamy counts..I think. :? :D
    jimed14 wrote:
    In the 6th grade, we had something called "News Quiz" ... a bit of a current events based weekly game all the elemnetary schools in my town did.

There was a town wide competition at the local Elks lodge late in the school year, each school picking their best players.

It was broadcast on local cable access, LIVE ... and then reshown many times in the next few months.

I was my schools ringer in sports and science ... and we won.

Yup ... 6th grade ... I was a TV child star!

Sadly, I went all Dana Plato and was holding up liquor stores and strung out on meth by 8th grade.

At least you kicked it before you had the same ending as her though. :lol:
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Yep...

Was on Wonderama as a kid (won the dance contest and a 3 speed schwinn bike :mrgreen: )
    Was in a group that were guests on the Phil Donohoe show
    Was filmed in a commercial for a local news station
    Was a guest on a NY radio show numerous times
    Have been on PJ Radio a couple of times :lol:
    And was in PJ20, the fans are alright :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,918
    DS1119 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Infamy counts..I think. :? :D
    then what are worried about?

I'm sure there are stories all over the US starting out like ..." remember that guy who....."
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Yep...

Was on Wonderama as a kid (won the dance contest and a 3 speed schwinn bike :mrgreen: )

I totally remember Wonderama.....wasn't there a part of the show where they showed the studio audience all waving their arms from side to side?
    Yep...

You lucky dog!!!! 8-)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I did a 'spot' for Rob...apparently I have been heard several times on PJ Radio.

What's PJ's videographer's name? Keith? He had the camera on me in Edmonton when Mike played his 'Alive' solo in front of me...I may/may not be in a PJ video/DVD in the future. (fuck that was freaking amazing)

There were pics of me on the website from a place I used to work at.

Other than that, there was a pic of me in a community newspaper...I was in 3rd grade.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I got to DJ on Indie 103.1 a few years ago.....was also a guest on their morning show on the day of the tax deadline..."Joe The Accountant"
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Yep...

I totally remember Wonderama.....wasn't there a part of the show where they showed the studio audience all waving their arms from side to side?
    Kids are people too... Wacka Doo... Wacka Doo... Wacka Doo... :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Yep...

Kids are people too... Wacka Doo... Wacka Doo... Wacka Doo... :D

I remember when Tracy Austin was on the show!