Pissed off

Deep93Deep93 Posts: 86
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Why does everyone have this horrible tendency to mock what they don't understand? Deep, expressive and emotional pieces of art go right over the heads of mainstream Hollywood drunk people. When you see something that you might have to think about or change your point of view to appreciate, you lose interest and change the channel. Find someone that isn't like that and hold on to them.

Matt,
Toronto 9/11/2011
Ottawa 9/14/2011
Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• there are lots of people who love challenging, non traditional, unorthodox art in any medium. im one of them. just look at how people respond to honest, emotional, powerful art, it may not take first place at the box office or be a massive hit, but that art is heard, seen, and absorbed.

what specific movies are you referring to that people have neglected?

plus i think people mock and cringe and shy away from things that are different, or not "normal" or not what they are used to. Yet i'd argue most meaningful art is untraditional, unorthodox, challenging, thought provoking, messy
  • Deep93Deep93 Posts: 86
    This person was bashing the film "Where The Wild Things Are". Its not even my favourite movie but it was fantastic in my opinion. When i try'd explaining why i liked it i was bombarded with comments from people around the table about how it wasn't artistic, it made no sense and it was garbage, the worst movie they have ever seen.

If you haven't seen the movie, it had amazing symbolism and an extremely deep look into the mind of a child who learns to understand his family's situation and learns to see things from his mothers point of view. If you didn't get all of that then you just didn't understand the film.

It was strange movie and if it was a little too different for your taste then fine. But I for one am sick of seeing the same movies being produced by hollywood over and over again.
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Ottawa 9/14/2011
    Amsterdam 6/26/2012!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    it was a decent movie - loved the books when I was a kid.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Deep93 wrote:
    This person was bashing the film "Where The Wild Things Are". Its not even my favourite movie but it was fantastic in my opinion. When i try'd explaining why i liked it i was bombarded with comments from people around the table about how it wasn't artistic, it made no sense and it was garbage, the worst movie they have ever seen.

If you haven't seen the movie, it had amazing symbolism and an extremely deep look into the mind of a child who learns to understand his family's situation and learns to see things from his mothers point of view. If you didn't get all of that then you just didn't understand the film.

It was strange movie and if it was a little too different for your taste then fine. But I for one am sick of seeing the same movies being produced by hollywood over and over again.

Oh my lordy. i am a huge fan of where the wild things are. it is along with frankenstein, my favourite book. when i heard they were to make a movie from it i was sceptical and a little scared. then i heard spike jonze was attached and some of that fear was alleviated. when i saw the movie i was so very excited. it was much more than the book. i love the max/carol dichotomy and how it was used to help max understand some home truths. and i love that they used big furry(and feathery) wild things not that boring as batshit CGI.

i wonder why they thought it made no sense.. perhaps cause they didnt get it... nor does it seem they were open to get it. boo to them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Ok, the one thing that I have learned as a director is that there are a lot of people who just sit at home saying how much "this sucked" and "that blew."

Don't let it get to you, don't get down and don't let it distract you.

Nothing to see here... keep moving. If someone hated a movie you liked... oh well, I liked a lot of movies that other people hate. We don't all have to like the same thing. Don't let the people who really enjoy taking shots at movies or music or TV shows give you two thoughts.