Running mentor

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I posted a message to my company intranet asking for a running mentor. Running with friends, signing up for marathons etc hasn't worked. I'm giving myself until end of August to get into a running groove before I concede that I'm not a runner. I thought of myself as a runner for over 20 years, but I hardly run anymore. Within me I think I can I think I can I know I can etc.

What would I ask of a running mentor? Sometimes I just want words of inspiration/wisdom/or empathy. If you were a running mentor, which is not a coach, what would you expect to do for your mentee?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I love running. LOVE IT!! Something very exhilarating about it.

Me personally, I would keep your mind focused. It's more of a mind over matter thing when it comes to running. At least I think so anyway. I'd give you a weekly challenge to push yourself a little bit more each day. I'd even go running with you. But this is just me.

Now that there is snow on the ground here....I'm back to the eliptical and I'll occassionally go to the indoor track to run.
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    Run outside and run until you enjoy it. By this I mean that I always find two or three miles drag and then my body gets in a groove. I turn off the exercise portion of my body and tune into myself. I don't think anyone can coach a runner. There can be support groups but we have to push through and find the place that makes us happy. For some people it's five miles others twenty. For me it's between 8-13. I can't get into a groove inside so this winter I'm running outside a lot and I feel stronger and happier. I'm not sure this stuff helps you, every body and every person is different. But don't give up, all you need is one great run you'll be able to run like you never thought possible.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Thank you!

Yep, it's those first 2 miles that are make-or-break me. Oi! I just need to get past those first 2 . . .
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird