Super slo-mo captures massive surfing wave off Tahiti coast

foursymbolsfoursymbols Posts: 527
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://video.mpora.com/watch/5Pgs2slxu/

BIGGEST TEAHUPOO EVER, SHOT ON THE PHANTOM CAMERA.

'This day at Teahupoo- Aug 27th 2011 during the Billabong Pro waiting period is what many are calling the biggest and gnarliest Teahupoo ever ridden. Chris Bryan was fortunate enough to be there working for Billabong on a day that will go down in the history of big wave surfing. The French Navy labeled this day a double code red prohibiting and threatening to arrest anyone that entered the water.
Kelly Slater described the day by saying "witnessing this was a draining feeling being terrified for other people's lives all day long, it's life or death. Letting go of that rope one time can change your life and not many people will ever experience that in their life."

:o
'It's a sad and beautiful world' - Mark Linkous
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Wow....

Just wow........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    that's nuts... awesome and beatiful...... but nuts
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    :shock: Crazy bastards!! I know nothing about surfing....no surf where I live because of the reef....but that was mesmerising.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • PapPap Posts: 28,788
    That's marvelous!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    8-)

thanks! :D
  • WOW!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    That was cool.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    my favorite wave TEAHUPOO

had the pleasure of watching this live on august 27th

i tried to fly there for the weekend when i knew the swell was coming $30,000 for the weekend ,but their were no more boats to rent

one of the most epic swells ever

side note...bruce irons who was i n the red board shorts near the end...when he re-surfaced his board shorts were gone :lol: but ass naked on his board :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    oh and by the way..to make it even more sick...

this wave doesn't break in deep water .....it breaks onto a coral reef 3-4 ft below the surface ..which is insane

the amount of people who came out bleeding that day was mind blowing

not only do u have 30 ft + waves crashing on you....you have to deal with razor sharp coral .....so so sick
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    4062d299-6224-4b99-9f3b-8a27b697ec8f.jpg

many consider this the heaviest wave ever ridden....laird hamilton
    Keala-Kenelly-Teahupoo-injury-omg.jpg

this is from the coral i mentioned :shock: :shock:
    Teahupoo-Surfer-cover_Laird.jpg
  • cross7806cross7806 Posts: 222
    That's insane. Thanks for posting.
  • side note...bruce irons who was i n the red board shorts near the end...when he re-surfaced his board shorts were gone :lol: but ass naked on his board :mrgreen:

I'll bet he'e glad he lost his shorts, since he probably pooped in them.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)