Best season of The Sopranos?

The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I borrowed the complete boxset from a friend last year and watched the show for the first time. Obviously, I absolutely adored everything about it and I was a little annoyed that I hadn't watched it sooner.

Anyways, I got the boxset for Christmas so I've started again and I'm one or two episodes into season 2. I'm amazed at just how much better the second season is even thought the first season was fantastic.

So what's everybody's opinion on the very best season? Personally, the very last one takes the cake for me, and I absolutely LOVE the finale and the final scene. The whole season is a build up to the last scene, and David Chase gives us so many clues in those last 9 episodes as to what will ultimately happen to Tony in the end. All you need is a little concentration and you can figure it out. I've never seen such a well-thought out and perfectly realised build up to a finale.

I could go on and on about the brilliant editing, the cleverly placed decoys in the restaurant, the man in the members only jacket and the fact that the first episode of the final season is called "Members Only". Incidentally, if I remember correctly there's a very important conversation between Tony and Bobby in that first episode where Bobby talks about what he thinks getting killed would be like, how you'll never see it coming and everything will just END. Everything will cut to black.

Then it's further emphasised near the end of the season when that guy (can't remember who) sitting at the table next to Silvio in the restaurant gets shot and killed, and later on Silvio describes it and says he didn't know it had happened until AFTER it happened. It's all very telling.

I rambled, my apologies.
2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
2009: Manchester
2010: Belfast, Berlin
2012: Manchester I & II
2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I am with you 110%! I think that the last season was incredibly clever, and the last episode was BRILLIANT. A lot of people didn't like it because the season before is where most people were knocked off...which is why a lot of people watched that show. I can appreciate that. But I'm with you, I'm hooked to anything that'll give you a mindfuck...and the last season of the Sopranos definitely did that.

If you watch the last episode frame by frame it makes perfect sense...still gives me the chills thinking about it. I remember I was in Vegas when it aired, so I missed it but luckily didn't hear what happened until I was able to watch it at home a few days later. My heart was POUNDING the entire time. I've never had such an investment in a show before and to this day I don't think anything has come close.

I think this calls for a re-watch :mrgreen:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I am with you 110%! I think that the last season was incredibly clever, and the last episode was BRILLIANT. A lot of people didn't like it because the season before is where most people were knocked off...which is why a lot of people watched that show. I can appreciate that. But I'm with you, I'm hooked to anything that'll give you a mindfuck...and the last season of the Sopranos definitely did that.

If you watch the last episode frame by frame it makes perfect sense...still gives me the chills thinking about it. I remember I was in Vegas when it aired, so I missed it but luckily didn't hear what happened until I was able to watch it at home a few days later. My heart was POUNDING the entire time. I've never had such an investment in a show before and to this day I don't think anything has come close.

I think this calls for a re-watch :mrgreen:

My heart was pounding too. I'd read that the last episode caused a lot of controversy and discussion, so I knew some crazy shit was about to go down. But i wasn't expecting what I saw.

Like you said, even thinking about it now gives me chills. I was just reading another article and the author mentions something that he saw in the last episode that I'd never really thought about but is definitely valid....

...The beginning of the scene, when Tony enters the restaurant and there's a quick jump-cut to his POV and Tony is already sitting at the table. It's like he's looking at himself sitting there, it feels weird. But, I never paid attention to the positioning of everything around Tony as he's sat there in that quick flash....

The extreme horizontal framing, Tony the central figure bathed in light, the four framed rectangles in the background, with people all around...Tony's last scene is the Last Supper. David Chase was taking a page out of past religion-steeped directors like Coppola and Scorcese.

Sounds simple, but it blows my mind.
    The Rock wrote:
    My heart was pounding too. I'd read that the last episode caused a lot of controversy and discussion, so I knew some crazy shit was about to go down. But i wasn't expecting what I saw.

Like you said, even thinking about it now gives me chills. I was just reading another article and the author mentions something that he saw in the last episode that I'd never really thought about but is definitely valid....

...The beginning of the scene, when Tony enters the restaurant and there's a quick jump-cut to his POV and Tony is already sitting at the table. It's like he's looking at himself sitting there, it feels weird. But, I never paid attention to the positioning of everything around Tony as he's sat there in that quick flash....

The extreme horizontal framing, Tony the central figure bathed in light, the four framed rectangles in the background, with people all around...Tony's last scene is the Last Supper. David Chase was taking a page out of past religion-steeped directors like Coppola and Scorcese.

Yeah I read about that. So incredible! If you go frame by frame, it goes from Tony's POV to the viewer's POV throughout the whole episode. The final scene where it all goes black is Tony's POV turn. Ooh I just got the chills!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    The Rock wrote:

Yeah I read about that. So incredible! If you go frame by frame, it goes from Tony's POV to the viewer's POV throughout the whole episode. The final scene where it all goes black is Tony's POV turn. Ooh I just got the chills!

Like Bobby said, you'll probably never even hear/see it coming.

I'm actually surprised that so many people were angry just because they didn't get their satisying gun battle/bloodbath at the end with a grisly visual of Tony laying dead somewhere. I can't say enough how PERFECT that ending was.
    The Rock wrote:
    Like Bobby said, you'll probably never even hear/see it coming.

I'm actually surprised that so many people were angry just because they didn't get their satisying gun battle/bloodbath at the end with a grisly visual of Tony laying dead somewhere. I can't say enough how PERFECT that ending was.

Exactly. Well some people just like a full explanation of what is going on. There's nothing wrong with that, just a different way of viewing things I guess. I like to have to figure out what's going on, so people that are like that are the ones that loved the Sopranos ending.

Has David Chase done anything since then? I keep meaning to check out his other stuff, just haven't had the time.
  • Season 3 for me, by far. (And I loved the whole show)
    Ralphie was spectacular and the whacky Buscemi directed episode about the hit going wrong in the woods? Damn, that season was great.
    I watch Sopranos for its full run in real time. Have not gone back to watch season by season; I am sure that gives you a great feel for the 'feel.' I remember in Season 3 really itching to see the next Sunday's episode.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The "Oh fuck! My cable went out!!!" moment took away from the ending for me.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Season 3 for me, by far. (And I loved the whole show)
    Ralphie was spectacular and the whacky Buscemi directed episode about the hit going wrong in the woods? Damn, that season was great.
    Pine Barrens? That was a great episode. And season 3 is probably my favorite, too.

The dialog at the end of this scene is hilarious and one of the funniest moments in the entire run of the show. Imperioli's deadpan is so perfect. I was cracking up just thinking about it when I was searching for the clip.

I really need to re-watch this entire series.
  • MD97728MD97728 Posts: 115
    totally agree. my husband and i watched when it was on tv and then got addicted to the reruns on A & E. i just gave him season one on dvd for xmas and next week is his birthday and best buy has season 2 on sale. slowly but surely we'll have the whole series. just can't do the whole box set at once. the whole series is just awesome. to pin down one season in particular - i just can't. i must say our favorite episode is the pine barrens. i really miss the series - wish it would return but i guess the dvd's will have to do.
  • JTH wrote:
    Season 3 for me, by far. (And I loved the whole show)
    Pine Barrens? That was a great episode. And season 3 is probably my favorite, too.

The dialog at the end of this scene is hilarious and one of the funniest moments in the entire run of the show. Imperioli's deadpan is so perfect. I was cracking up just thinking about it when I was searching for the clip.

I really need to re-watch this entire series.

:lol: great clip.
    Yes, that was the one!
  • i think the brilliance of the wire, the sopranos, breaking bad, mad men, all some of the best shows on television and best shows of all time, is all are a complete vision, that builds and builds and builds. whereas most tv is about episodes or seasons, these shows seem to be about the whole picture. they seem almost cinematic in nature
  • i think the brilliance of the wire, the sopranos, breaking bad, mad men, all some of the best shows on television and best shows of all time, is all are a complete vision, that builds and builds and builds. whereas most tv is about episodes or seasons, these shows seem to be about the whole picture. they seem almost cinematic in nature

Watch all of those you listed, although I just got into The Wire. My wife and I are both hooked and are mowing the discs down whenever we have time. Flights are *almost* fun now since we have 4-5-6 hours of uninterrupted Wire episodes.

Deadwood & Rome are other favorites.

Sopranos really set the bar for HBO to be able to make the shows that came after it - they went from Not Necessarily the News and a show like First & Ten...to the genius that was Sopranos.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    i think the brilliance of the wire, the sopranos, breaking bad, mad men, all some of the best shows on television and best shows of all time, is all are a complete vision, that builds and builds and builds. whereas most tv is about episodes or seasons, these shows seem to be about the whole picture. they seem almost cinematic in nature

Watch all of those you listed, although I just got into The Wire. My wife and I are both hooked and are mowing the discs down whenever we have time. Flights are *almost* fun now since we have 4-5-6 hours of uninterrupted Wire episodes.

Deadwood & Rome are other favorites.

Sopranos really set the bar for HBO to be able to make the shows that came after it - they went from Not Necessarily the News and a show like First & Ten...to the genius that was Sopranos.
    I loved Deadwood & Rome. I wish they'd have gone on for longer. Was it three seasons for Deadwood and two for Rome?

For that matter, I also loved NNTN and First & Ten when they were on, but I can't imagine that I'd enjoy them very much today.

Oh, and my favorite Sopranos insult: "motherless fuck" -- they used it a lot early on, but I can't remember it being said very often in the latter seasons.
  • Best show ever, it is a tough choice, they are all good.
    Jnr Soprano is funny, "he never had what it took to be a varsity athlete" :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Worst season???

"Vito is gay" season....

Damned near ruined the entire series for me......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Worst season???

"Vito is gay" season....

Damned near ruined the entire series for me......

lol a blimp mafia dude in bed with a guy.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    The Sopranos lost its balls after Season 2, which was the best. I believe it got worse as it went on after that. The only reason I stayed on (and many others) was to see how it was going to be wrapped up. I get that he died... but pretty disappointing anti-climactic ending.

It had a lot going on, but nothing ever amounted to anything. Plot arcs just kind of fizzled out or died off.
  • Carmela makes me sick, acts all hardcore religious yet knows where the $$$$$ comes from.
    2 episodes left, and I've enjoyed it all so much more the second time around.

6A, with the whole story about Vito being gay was very well done so I have to disagree with you all saying it was horrible. It wasn't too preachy, and in typical Sopranos fashion Vito ended up croaking in the end even if it wasn't by Tony's hand.

The first 5 minutes of "Walk Like A Man" where Tony kills Christopher after the car crash, it shocked me the first time and I'd forgotten about it so it shocked me again when I watched it today. All their history, I suppose it was always inevitable that Tony would kill him. He obviously always resented deep down the fact that Chris wanted to go into the movie business. I guess it was his fate that he'd die somehow.

Can't wait to see the finale again.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,532
    The Rock wrote:
    I borrowed the complete boxset from a friend last year and watched the show for the first time. Obviously, I absolutely adored everything about it and I was a little annoyed that I hadn't watched it sooner.

Anyways, I got the boxset for Christmas so I've started again and I'm one or two episodes into season 2. I'm amazed at just how much better the second season is even thought the first season was fantastic.

So what's everybody's opinion on the very best season? Personally, the very last one takes the cake for me, and I absolutely LOVE the finale and the final scene. The whole season is a build up to the last scene, and David Chase gives us so many clues in those last 9 episodes as to what will ultimately happen to Tony in the end. All you need is a little concentration and you can figure it out. I've never seen such a well-thought out and perfectly realised build up to a finale.

I could go on and on about the brilliant editing, the cleverly placed decoys in the restaurant, the man in the members only jacket and the fact that the first episode of the final season is called "Members Only". Incidentally, if I remember correctly there's a very important conversation between Tony and Bobby in that first episode where Bobby talks about what he thinks getting killed would be like, how you'll never see it coming and everything will just END. Everything will cut to black.

Then it's further emphasised near the end of the season when that guy (can't remember who) sitting at the table next to Silvio in the restaurant gets shot and killed, and later on Silvio describes it and says he didn't know it had happened until AFTER it happened. It's all very telling.

I rambled, my apologies.
    you sound like someone who has read this before:
    http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/t ... f-the-end/

that is about as detailed as you can get regarding the brilliance of the finale.

sopranos is my favorite show of all time. absolute love it and really miss it.
    www.myspace.com
  • That season or two with Joey Pants as Ralph was great. He flew off the handle all the time...that made for some great tv.

Seeing his rug come off after Tony kills him was gold.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Oh man, I MISS this show!

I don't have a favorite season, per se, but so many favorite episodes and scenes...

Tony putting the pillow over Olivia's face while she's on the stretcher.

Christopher getting fucked up and subsequently sitting on/smothering Ade's dog (here at home, whenever one of us is getting ready to get comfy on the couch and the cats are nearby, the other yells "Christapha!")

Doc Kennedy fucking over Junior, and Tony and Furio confronting him on the golf course. "Stupida fucking game"

When the priest spent the night with Carmela and she called him on his passive-aggressive sexual shit afterward. "You know I'm not a fan of Renee Zellweiger"

The whole Pine Barrens episode!

Silvio doing Pacino.

Paulie's rant about shoelaces.

Artie (Vesuvio's chef? - I'm slightly high and his name escapes me at the moment but I think that's it) - cooking the rabbit he killed. From a beloved recipe...calmly. Proudly.

So many intense, beautifully written, beautifully acted, beautifully directed parts to this show.
  • Besides the first three seasons, which were really strong. Season five with Steve Buscemi and the escalation of the war with Johnny Sack and Phil Leotardo were really good. The show was really good when those characters had prominent roles. I always loved how Johnny Sack would say, I'm not here to stick my beak in.

Or how about the time when Johnny told Tony that he would rain a shitstorm like he had never seen if he didn't hand over Blundetto.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Besides the first three seasons, which were really strong. Season five with Steve Buscemi and the escalation of the war with Johnny Sack and Phil Leotardo were really good. The show was really good when those characters had prominent roles. I always loved how Johnny Sack would say, I'm not here to stick my beak in.

Or how about the time when Johnny told Tony that he would rain a shitstorm like he had never seen if he didn't hand over Blundetto.

johnny was a pragmatist. :mrgreen:

yeah i think 5 is underrated. feech la manna was a great character too, if for only a few episodes. pretty cool how they got him sent back to prison.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Vito stuff was horrible. A bunch of unnecessary stuff like that kind of brought it down a bit for me. Loved the show but I think The Wire blows it away.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Vito stuff was horrible. A bunch of unnecessary stuff like that kind of brought it down a bit for me. Loved the show but I think The Wire blows it away.

Yep. No weak seasons on The Wire.
    That season or two with Joey Pants as Ralph was great. He flew off the handle all the time...that made for some great tv.

Seeing his rug come off after Tony kills him was gold.

PBM

season 4 was when ralphy was killed. it was also the season where tony and carm finally split. the scenes with those two arguing where it looks ilke tony was about to rip her head off...wow...some of the best acting in tv history. about as intense as you can get.
    www.myspace.com