Options

Ideas for non-profit organization fundraisers

photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello Forum friends! :D

Joey and I are involved in starting up a Fair Trade non-profit organization here in Springfield, MO. We have completed and submitted our application for Federal 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status (which we are currently waiting for a reply from the IRS), we have incorporated within the State of MO, we have partnered with a local foundation that allows people to make tax-deductible donations to us through them until our tax-exempt status is approved, we have gathered an interested group of individuals to start working on our first fundraising event, etc...

Now we are trying to come up with some creative fundraising ideas to help us get started and to carry out even after we have established ourselves a bit. That's where we hope you can help. We don't want to fall into the typical car wash and bake sale fundraising...we want to be a bit more creative and involved than that. Do any of you have any fundraising ideas or experience that could help us out? All ideas are welcome! Also, if you have any general advice about operating a non-profit, that is welcome as well :D Thank you in advance!
"I am myself...like you, somehow."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Wet T-shirt contests are always a crowd pleaser!

8-)
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Congrats!!!

Why don't you try to get a group of local bands together to play a show...have it at the local VFW hall...you can charge about $10 per person to get in. Usually local bands will play for free if it's a fundraiser and you may even get a great rental at a place like a Knights of Columbus hall. Then your only other costs are promotional.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    * find a local chef and have a dinner focusing on fair trade goods / foods ... if you can get the chef to do it for free and maybe a winery to donate wine to pair with the food ... you can charge easy $100 - $125 a head ...

* silent auctions (you'll need donations of course) ... get a band to play at the event ...

* 50/50 draws at whatever event

* otherwise go with jason P's suggestion ... :lol:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Wet T-shirt contests are always a crowd pleaser!

8-)
    :lol: We'll keep this in mind ;) . We have to find a way to get the college-age crowd interested, right?
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Congrats!!!

Why don't you try to get a group of local bands together to play a show...have it at the local VFW hall...you can charge about $10 per person to get in. Usually local bands will play for free if it's a fundraiser and you may even get a great rental at a place like a Knights of Columbus hall. Then your only other costs are promotional.
    We've actually thought about this. We have some friends who play in local bands and thought this would be a great way to get our message out, raise money, and listen to some good local music! Thanks!
    polaris_x wrote:
    * find a local chef and have a dinner focusing on fair trade goods / foods ... if you can get the chef to do it for free and maybe a winery to donate wine to pair with the food ... you can charge easy $100 - $125 a head ...

* silent auctions (you'll need donations of course) ... get a band to play at the event ...

* 50/50 draws at whatever event

* otherwise go with jason P's suggestion ... :lol:
    Thanks for the ideas polaris! What is a 50/50 draw?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    edited January 2012
    Hello Forum friends! :D

Joey and I are involved in starting up a Fair Trade non-profit organization here in Springfield, MO. We have completed and submitted our application for Federal 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status (which we are currently waiting for a reply from the IRS), we have incorporated within the State of MO, we have partnered with a local foundation that allows people to make tax-deductible donations to us through them until our tax-exempt status is approved, we have gathered an interested group of individuals to start working on our first fundraising event, etc...

Now we are trying to come up with some creative fundraising ideas to help us get started and to carry out even after we have established ourselves a bit. That's where we hope you can help. We don't want to fall into the typical car wash and bake sale fundraising...we want to be a bit more creative and involved than that. Do any of you have any fundraising ideas or experience that could help us out? All ideas are welcome! Also, if you have any general advice about operating a non-profit, that is welcome as well :D Thank you in advance!

A few thoughts:

Produce a small fundraising event based on your field of expertise and available resources. If you are a photographer with contacts in that scene, you can hold a photo show/silent auction at a small studio. The artists who donate their prints will hopefully get some exposure, as will the studio. If you know people in the food/drink industry, maybe you can get them to donate appetizers/wine/beer to serve at an event. "Hipster" brands are usually very eager to get their product out to potential customers, so if you can bring in an upscale/hipster crowd, the brands will get valuable exposure.

Another idea is holding a charity event at a bar/restaurant. Many places will let you use their space on an off night. They get to keep the bar, and you get free use of the place. You can usually find bands/DJs to play for free, and you can request silent auction items from local businesses such a gift certificates from restaurants, salons, spas, hotels...any place that can offer something of value in exchange for the exposure/goodwill the get. Most local sports teams are happy to donate tickets, and perhaps you can get passes from local movie theaters/comedy clubs/concert promoters to auction as well.

If you know any aspiring publicists, get them on the case!

There is a lot of brainstorming required!
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Congrats!!!

This is a really easy way to have a fundraiser, and the bands should be willing to do it for free (if they're decent people who just like to play music together, money won't be an issue to them). Sometimes I've seen Chinese or silent auctions, 50/50 raffles and door prizes going on at the same time. Good luck! Some day I'd like to start a non-profit.
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i wonder what speedy would think about this :think:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=179456&hilit=show+me+a+non+profit

:P
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Thanks for the ideas polaris! What is a 50/50 draw?

basically people buy raffle tickets where the winner gets 50% of the proceeds ... most people sell like 1 ticket for $2 or 3 for $5 ... take the total amount you collect and give half of it to the winner (random draw) ...
  • Options
    conman wrote:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... non+profit

I haven't read this...thanks!
  • Options
    conman wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=179456&hilit=show+me+a+non+profit

I haven't read this...thanks!
    He doesn't think much of them... I hope you didn't spend too much time reading that!
  • Options
    Any additional ideas? Anyone?
  • Options
    what exactly is your non-profit?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    slave auction
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    bake sale
    car wash
    stand in the middle of the street and solict donations
    sell 25 cent candy bars for 5 bucks at the grocery store.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    hand made scarfs/hats...beer can hats.

Those are really fast and easy to make...if any of the college kids these days know how to do handcrafts.

Cell phone covers can be had for very cheap on a certain auction site (a few bucks) as well as stick on crystals...get a bunch of girls together and make blinged out cell phone covers-i don't know if those are still cool or not? :think:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    slave auction

I love this idea. Hire some hot looking men for free (and/or women) and rent them out for a few hours to the lucky highest bidder.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    what exactly is your non-profit?
    We are a Fair Trade non-profit. Our mission is to educate and inspire members of the local community to make more informed and sensible decisions in regards to their purchasing power and how it directly relates to empowering and providing opportunities for economically marginalized artisans, farmers, and farm workers - both locally and worldwide. We aim to advance the Fair Trade mission of promoting socially-conscious consumerism throughout Springfield and the surrounding areas.

We also plan on opening a non-profit Fair Trade store, since there is currently not one in Springfield.
  • Options
    slave auction
    :lol: A decent idea...but we may have to cleverly call it something else since we advocate for an end to slave or forced labor ;)