At what age...

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
...do men start carrying a handkerchief? I mean my grandfather always had one and so did my father. At what age should I start carrying one? :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Get one the day after you start wearing suspenders.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • when you have officially stopped caring whatsoever about getting laid.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I will never, EVER carry one.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • so people still do this? I know my wife's dad does, and he's in his late 70's. But does the new crop of seniors do this?

I was just talking about this with my mom the other day, how disgusting it is. Blow your nose, put it back in your pocket, then blow your nose again later with the same cloth. :sick:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    so people still do this? I know my wife's dad does, and he's in his late 70's. But does the new crop of seniors do this?

I was just talking about this with my mom the other day, how disgusting it is. Blow your nose, put it back in your pocket, then blow your nose again later with the same cloth. :sick:

ugh ugh UGH! I hate hankies! My old math teacher did that...would be teaching, and honk his nose, go digging for gold and put it in his back pocket.

reminds me of that new creepy 'cheapskate' show...one lady made her family use 're-useable TP' :sick:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    when you have officially stopped caring whatsoever about getting laid.

:lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    When I'm an old man I'll have a hanky. It's going to be the shirt of whoever happens to be standing next to me. What do I care? I'm an old man.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

:lol:
  • I have been waiting for all handkerchief sales to cease. Who thinks it is a good idea to blow your nose on something and stick in back in your pocket. Repeatedly.
    Just plain fucking nasty. And you want to put the snot rag into your laundry with all of the other whites? So my Analog shirt can be green? :lol:

I also agree with the above post's final conclusion -- if I do it when I am an old man, I wont care. I'll be an old man! (Clearly I will also be such a miser that I feel the need to save on kleenex costs.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    i only carry one when i'm really sick & can't stop blowing my nose.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,160
    mfc2006 wrote:

This is when I do the "Index Finger Single Nostril Press" and blow. Repeat on the other side. Commonly known as the "Farmer Blow" in these parts.

Typically only done outside........typically.
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
    Shorty wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

This is when I do the "Index Finger Single Nostril Press" and blow. Repeat on the other side. Commonly known as the "Farmer Blow" in these parts.

that works as well. ;) usually when i'm that sick, i stay home & fill the trashcan with kleenex.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Shorty wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: we call that a 'snot rocket' usually a construction worker thing...I could never master that. :(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: we call that a 'snot rocket' usually a construction worker thing...I could never master that. :(

just keep practicing, Lisa. i believe in you! :thumbup:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,935
    or the day after you start wearing your trousers above your navel.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,160

Typically only done outside........typically.[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol: we call that a 'snot rocket' usually a construction worker thing...I could never master that. :([/quote]

A thing of beauty when mastered - keep trying!
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    imalive wrote:
    or the day after you start wearing your trousers above your navel.

I think I will go for the one piece leisure suit. or shorts with black socks and loafers
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,935
    mfc2006 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

please don't. this is a guy thing (like hawking loogies).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Shorty wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: we call that a 'snot rocket' usually a construction worker thing...I could never master that. :([/quote]

A thing of beauty when mastered - keep trying![/quote]

We called it 'hockey snot' when I was growing up. Out on the ice you are always cold and nose would run....and for whatever reason it was perfectly acceptable to blow snot out onto the ice.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Shorty wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

back in the 80's and watched wrestling, Jake the Snake Roberts did one of those at the referee during a match. it was disgusting, but funny as hell.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Shorty wrote:

A thing of beauty when mastered - keep trying![/quote]

We called it 'hockey snot' when I was growing up. Out on the ice you are always cold and nose would run....and for whatever reason it was perfectly acceptable to blow snot out onto the ice.[/quote]

:thumbup:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i always carried a hankerchief when i was working construction in the summer.. but i only used it to wipe sweat off my head and face

and yes, i am a master at the snot rocket :? :lol:
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I personally find it very endearing when men carry hankies. OK, so I know it's gross to use the same piece of square repeatedly.

I was going through a rough time a few years ago, was talking to a friend and just burst into tears. He handed me his hanky which I thought was the sweetest thing. Ever try to wipe tears with tissue? You just get tissue bits all over your face. The hanky was perfect and it smelled freshly laundered.

Of course I didn't stop to think if he'd used it to wipe his snot right before etc etc.

So maybe you should all carry hankies just in case you run into a damsel in distress in need of something soft to wipe away her tears. Just sayin :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    Suziemay wrote:
    I personally find it very endearing when men carry hankies. OK, so I know it's gross to use the same piece of square repeatedly.

I was going through a rough time a few years ago, was talking to a friend and just burst into tears. He handed me his hanky which I thought was the sweetest thing. Ever try to wipe tears with tissue? You just get tissue bits all over your face. The hanky was perfect and it smelled freshly laundered.

Of course I didn't stop to think if he'd used it to wipe his snot right before etc etc.

So maybe you should all carry hankies just in case you run into a damsel in distress in need of something soft to wipe away her tears. Just sayin :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    :D
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Suziemay wrote:

:D
    Meant to say *clean* hanky :mrgreen: Carry a clean one. Use tissues for your snot.
    imalive wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

please don't. this is a guy thing (like hawking loogies).

:oops: I spit when I smoke...I'm not very ladylike :oops:

- Christopher McCandless