Anthony Bourdain tool...

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
...or cool. I used to think he was cool. Then I felt like he was a tool. Now I've flip flopped again and think he's pretty cool again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think he's great. He's straight forward, down to earth, drinks smokes and has a great job. So......cool.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Cool
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    If you get paid to travel to cool places and eat food...you're pretty awesome.
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    cool and badass 100%. I would love to chill with that guy and grab some food and beer. I heard he has a new show and its pretty good.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I don't watch No Reservations very often but Bourdain seems like a pretty cool cat.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    cool and badass 100%. I would love to chill with that guy and grab some food and beer. I heard he has a new show and its pretty good.

Yeah, his new show swayed me back. It's called The Layover and I'm pretty sure he's been drunk in every episode so far. :lol:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah, his new show swayed me back. It's called The Layover and I'm pretty sure he's been drunk in every episode so far. :lol:

I knew he was a cool cat the episode I saw him having a brew with breakfast.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    I'm middle of the road...sometimes I'll see him in something and it seems that he's pretty cool and then the next thing I see he's acting like a jackass to someone for no apparent reason.
  • COOL as shit.

he's real
    he's funny
    smart
    eats meat and makes no apologies
    drinks and smokes without apology

...shit it sounds like I want to date him :lol:
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    He digs pearl jam. He talked about it on one of his early episodes.

He hates Sandra Lee
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Definitely a cool guy. Read Kitchen Confidential.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I like that he doesn't put up with shit from nobody. Makes no excuses for himself (an example would be there was a 'questionable' photo of him with a male friend and he basically said 'I like chilling with my friends').

He also isn't afraid to make fun of the other 'chefs' that are on the Food Network...mainly the ones that are just 'puppets'. His shows are great. I'd like to have a drinks and smoke with him all night long.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • sometimes he can come across as kinda smug/arrogant on his show, but reading his books sort of puts his attitude in perspective. I would highly recommend 'Kitchen Confidential' and 'The Nasty Bits', both great books.

did anyone see 'the layover' when he was in SF? I thought it was pretty funny, especially when he went to the Tonga Room (a badass old tiki bar) and he was so excited it looked like he was going to cry or something! in his defense, it is a pretty badass bar...( hint hint Bay Area jammers...meetup at the Tonga Room sometime?) ;)
  • I found
    "A Cook's Tour: In Search of the Perfect Meal"
    at a used book shop in Golden, BC last summer.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it,
    + have an insatiable desire
    to track down the rest of his catalogue.
    I have never seen any of his TV shows or
    even appearances, so I'm not sure
    what he's like live + in colour!
    However,
    I reckon if I ever saw him in a bar,
    I would offer to buy him a drink,
    + then I'd shut up + listen.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,760
    never watched him until i heard him on WTF podcast. great interview. i think the shows are hit or miss but he travels the way i do and seems to enjoy a lot of the same things about traveling.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • eddiec wrote:

Yes, Kitchen Confidential is a great book! I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24
  • eddiec wrote:

Yes, Kitchen Confidential is a great book! I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dude eats in like the grungiest of dives ... gotta be cool!
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362

He hates Sandra Lee

He also digs Iggy Pop, hates ABBA and Rachel Ray. Lipitor is his best friend. Just had an AB marathon during the holidays and went through all the old No Reservations episodes that I hadn't seen. Love the Madrid, Sardinia and Uzbekistan shows. I don't know why...but there's something about him that makes me wanna do bad stuff. Hmm.
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    Suzi78 wrote:

He hates Sandra Lee

He also digs Iggy Pop, hates ABBA and Rachel Ray. Lipitor is his best friend. Just had an AB marathon during the holidays and went through all the old No Reservations episodes that I hadn't seen. Love the Madrid, Sardinia and Uzbekistan shows. I don't know why...but there's something about him that makes me wanna do bad stuff. Hmm.
    :lol:
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Layover San Francisco was great!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I don't watch him too often, but the episode with him and Josh Homme sure made him seem like a cool guy. I'm skeptical though, b/c he comes off sorta arrogant alot of times and I could see that being ratcheted up several notches without all the fancy editing.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I think he's pretty damn cool.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    RKCNDY wrote:

This whole situation boggles my mind, especially as a marketer who as a lot of experience in the diabetes space. Dude is 100% right and I can't begin to think why Novartis thought this was a good idea.

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/novos ... z1jknLOozL
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This whole situation boggles my mind, especially as a marketer who as a lot of experience in the diabetes space. Dude is 100% right and I can't begin to think why Novartis thought this was a good idea.

they are a drug company ... of course they think it's a good idea ...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Novartis wants money, PD is a 'celebrity' and 'likeable' so they use her status to promote their drug. I worked with all sorts of pharm reps...pharmaceutical companies are greedy, they only really care about how much product they can sell for the most money. Ever notice how there is always a 'new better improved' product after a similar one has been out for a while? It's because the patent on the original drug has expired, and it can be made generically, so they have to make money somewhere else.
    I think Anthony has every right to call her out, if she wants respect, she should have come out with her diagnosis years ago and adjusted her recipes to show 'yes, you can still enjoy southern cooking if you're diabetic'

- Christopher McCandless
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Novartis wants money, PD is a 'celebrity' and 'likeable' so they use her status to promote their drug. I worked with all sorts of pharm reps...pharmaceutical companies are greedy, they only really care about how much product they can sell for the most money. Ever notice how there is always a 'new better improved' product after a similar one has been out for a while? It's because the patent on the original drug has expired, and it can be made generically, so they have to make money somewhere else.
    I think Anthony has every right to call her out, if she wants respect, she should have come out with her diagnosis years ago and adjusted her recipes to show 'yes, you can still enjoy southern cooking if you're diabetic'

haha, I gotcha. All companies are greedy. I work on the agency side of marketing for some of the biggest pharma companies in the world. I just don't understand why they chose her. There are plenty of well known diabetics out there, including chefs, who don't have the baggage she has, so it makes little to no sense to me. I am very familiar with the patent process, I worked on the launch of a new drug this year as well as the expiration of a drug. Pipelines are important to pharma companies.

I agree with Bourdain, and think it was a terrible chose by Novartis and their agencies.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like AB he is probably a bit over the top with his criticism of Paula Deen but whatever.

Read an article recently where they asked him his fav hangover cure and i loved his response:
    "I have never found a better one, I regret to say, than Coca-Cola, a joint, and some really spicy food. I’m a big believer in spicy. It scares the evil out"
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • anthony rocks. he's an old punk who's into food.
    Into the Wild Things