Is 10 days enough to break an alcohol habit?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm not a big drinker, but I drink daily, perhaps a drink or two over what is considered moderation.

It's a habit I developed years ago, mostly because of fears of insomnia. 3 to 4 drinks a night helps put me to sleep. And while alcohol interrupts your sleeping patterns, I figure crappy sleep is better than no sleep.

I'm taking next week off of work just to use vacation days and relax at home. I figure it will be 10 nights I don't have to worry about being well rested for the next day. 10 days to see if I can kick my nightly ritual I started years ago.

Anyone ever try to kick a "small" alcohol habit?

I tried this last year and didn't make it a day. I think I got bored, threw on a Live PJ DVD and made excuses for myself while watching Ed down a bottle. :?

I figure there will be a lot of restless nights next week..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    keep yourself occupied, excersize, stay busy... you'll sleep like a baby
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i start drinking earlier when i take vacation. :lol:

good luck
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    conman wrote:
    I've read, sleep patterns may never go back to normal from alcohol.. I hope this isn't the case with me. Is 3 to 4 drinks that much?

I'd like to think I can make it through a night again without peeing at 3 am and troubles falling back asleep. :?

I used to sleep the the dead when I was a kid. My parents had troubles waking me.
    81 wrote:
    i start drinking earlier when i take vacation. :lol:

good luck
    We had this conversation last year.. I didn't make it one night. :lol:

Must be strong this time. 8-)
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    You said you have insomnia....how many hours would you sleep when you didn't drink?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    You said you have insomnia....how many hours would you sleep when you didn't drink?
    Before I drank, the insomnia was on and off.. I'd go a few months sleeping 7 to 8 hrs, and then I'd sleep 1 to 4 hrs a night on and off for a month or two.. but that was like 10 years ago. I'm 33 now. :?
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,869
    do you exersize?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    do you exersize?
    Yes.

30 minutes or so, 5 days a week.
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:
    I've read, sleep patterns may never go back to normal from alcohol.. I hope this isn't the case with me. Is 3 to 4 drinks that much?

I'd like to think I can make it through a night again without peeing at 3 am and troubles falling back asleep. :?

I used to sleep the the dead when I was a kid. My parents had troubles waking me.
    3 or 4 drinks is nothing, you shouldn't have a problem.... but since you will be vacation you need to stay busy.. don't just sit around all day, you'll never sleep that way
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Insomnia sucks. I went four days without sleep about ten years ago. I got sent home from work for being so out of it. I tried melatonin and that helped for a bit, but seemed to lose it's potency. Maybe seeing a doctor may help.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,869
    Gob wrote:
    do you exersize?
    Yes.

Tripple that, or make it extra strenuous. Give your body a reason to crave sleep.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    conman wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:

3 or 4 drinks is nothing, you shouldn't have a problem.... but since you will be vacation you need to stay busy.. don't just sit around all day, you'll never sleep that way
    I know. Going to do more exersizing, chores around apartment, reading, Netflix, shopping.. trying to make a schedule for myself.. My mind likes to drift and a drifting mind is not a happy mind.
    If insomnia occurs again, what are you going to change this time so you get tired instead of alcohol?

I wouldn't be worrying if 10 days is enough etc. It's not enough for it to be EASY when you get home and sitting in the same position, watching the same television, doing the same shit but without a drink in your hand. I personally think you'll start craving alcohol again once your holiday is over....maybe not the "alcohol"....more the habit of having a drink in your hand.

I'd be worrying about what you're going to do to distract yourself when you get home and what you're going to do to get yourself sleepy (if insomnia is still a problem -- you may have changed).

When I used to drink heavily (daily), the hardest time of the day for my bf and I was between the end of work and dinner (5-8). If we could make it to 8 we were fine. So we exercised, went out, did stuff to take our mind off it. If we sat on the same couch or same spot outside at that time of day, we'd feel like something was missing and crave a drink.
    Gob wrote:
    do you exersize?
    Yes.

Tripple that, or make it extra strenuous. Give your body a reason to crave sleep.
    It's less physical and more to do with my mind.. I need to tire my mind out. My mind doesn't like to shut down before bed. Alcohol relaxes it.
    Gob wrote:
    It's less physical and more to do with my mind.. I need to tire my mind out. My mind doesn't like to shut down before bed. Alcohol relaxes it.

How would you know? You haven't had a day off drinking in 10 years?
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Gob wrote:

How would you know? You haven't had a day off drinking in 10 years?
    Actually, I've had a few.. with the help of Xanax.

I went on vacation a few years ago and went 5 days without a drink or xanax.. I think by the 4th or 5th night I was sleeping ok, but not great. The first few nights were hell though.. lucky for me I just relaxed on a boat all day with family.
    if you're only having 3 or 4 drinks a night then i don't think it's a problem with alcohol, i think it's just a mental thing... have you talk to a doctor about it?
    conman wrote:
    if you're only having 3 or 4 drinks a night then i don't think it's a problem with alcohol, i think it's just a mental thing... have you talk to a doctor about it?
    Nope.. I really don't want to be put on anything. My mind just has a hard time focusing. I need to practice meditation and do more reading.. I suppose I can use my vacation for that as well.

My girlfriend gets worse insomnia than I do, but I think that has a lot to do with her caffeine addiction.. She won't admit it, but she drinks coffee and diet coke at all hours of the day.. She's been sleeping 1 to 2 hrs a night. I don't know how the fuck she does it. She has enough health issues, she really needs the sleep, but doesn't believe me when I tell her to cut the caffeine. :?
    Do you realise that a lot of people suffer short-term insomnia when they stop drinking? You may have had that when you were on the boat....then after a few days it went away???

Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and sleep really well when you return from your holiday? :thumbup:
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    I used to be a very heavy, daily drinker, I used to take sick weeks and fortnights off work to go on binges.
    I actually had seizures when I gave up, ended up in hospital 3 times before I finally copped on and stopped properly. My suggestion would be to cut down slowly, 3 drinks for two nights, then 2 for two then 1, then none. Also you need to talk to your GP, I found Beta blockers helped me calm down.
    I'm not a doctor but I would guess that 90% of your insomnia is because of your drinking, you'll find that 2 or 3 weeks after stopping you'll sleep like a baby.
    Get rid of all booze in the house, I'm not advocating replacing one thing with another but I used to eat chocolate chip bars when I felt the urge, still not good but a hell of a lot better than alcohol.
    I also used a wee bit of a smoke (maybe shouldn't mention that here) at bedtime, it took my mind off it and put me to sleep. You will have to endure a few nights of virtually no sleep though.

Talk to your doctor!!

Good Luck, I did it, and believe me if I can, anyone can.
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    Oh, and by the way, I gave up completely for two years, and now drink in moderation, once a week I have 3 or 4 beers and a musical appreciation night, something I really look forward to, again, maybe not the right way, but it works for me.

If you've any questions, just ask, I've been there.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,918
    Gob,

I feel qualified to comment and share my experience. What you've read about sleep patterns is WRONG!!!! The body is a wonderfully selfrestorative thing. It will take some time but it can happen. It will be different for everyone when they can expect a good nights sleep. In th emeantime, I would suggest going to your doctor and see what he/she can do to help you sleep.
    Your experience last year may be an indicator of more serious problems thna lack of good sleep.Just sayin.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 10 days? No. althought it doesn't sound like you have a terrible dependency, you probably do have a dependency.

go ahead and have a few drinks after 10 days to relieve a bit of stress, if needed. then set a bigger goal, like a month with no drinks. I think if you go 30 days without booze you will feel so much better and won't want to drink regularly.

the thing for me to remember is this: I am NOT addicted. I just like it a lot because it is fun, and I have to remember to drink in moderation. I have power over it. It is MY choice.

So, I drink once or twice per month and admittedly, it is to get drunk. But that only takes me about 5 or 6 drinks now not 20, so I'm functional the next day. Over Christmas I went on a 3 day bender and haven't drank since and I think I might keep that up for several months until vacation this summer. Then all bets are off. :D

my opinion anyway... it is different for everyone.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Gob wrote:
    I'm not a big drinker, but I drink daily, perhaps a drink or two over what is considered moderation.

It's a habit I developed years ago, mostly because of fears of insomnia. 3 to 4 drinks a night helps put me to sleep. And while alcohol interrupts your sleeping patterns, I figure crappy sleep is better than no sleep.

I'm taking next week off of work just to use vacation days and relax at home. I figure it will be 10 nights I don't have to worry about being well rested for the next day. 10 days to see if I can kick my nightly ritual I started years ago.

Anyone ever try to kick a "small" alcohol habit?

I tried this last year and didn't make it a day. I think I got bored, threw on a Live PJ DVD and made excuses for myself while watching Ed down a bottle. :?

I figure there will be a lot of restless nights next week..
    I just heard 21 days to form a habit so...

maybe similar

depends how much you need those drinks besides just for sleep
    there could be other reasons involved you are not as focused on

yes I've had to quit drinking (and smoking) with both my pregnancies
    and I did by choice after a couple of lampshade awards :lol: oh boy...

now I try not to drink much during the week and go for moderation on the weekends
    sometimes that works ;)
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I recently quit drinking all together. It's not difficult to do unless you have an alcohol problem(disease). You should start getting normal sleep after two weeks. If that doesn't work, smoke a bowl or two 15-30 minutes before bedtime ;)
  • crazypjfan wrote:
    I recently quit drinking all together. It's not difficult to do unless you have an alcohol problem(disease). You should start getting normal sleep after two weeks. If that doesn't work, smoke a bowl or two 15-30 minutes before bedtime ;)

+1

although I'd say do it about 2 hours before bedtime so you can enjoy it :D
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    conman wrote:
    3 or 4 drinks is nothing, you shouldn't have a problem

The Australian Government's healthy alcohol consumption advice for a man is 2 standard drinks per day....and I believe they recommend having 2 alcohol free days a week too.

He is double that....and has been for TEN years. That's not really "nothing". He's doing damage to his body....he may not be able to see it now but he is. People have to stop kidding themselves and thinking that their kidneys or liver or heart or whatever aren't going to be affected by the lifestyle they live. Look at Black Diamond. Heart attacks at 45. He's now been told no alcohol, no smoking and no red meat. I bet he thought his excess consumption was "nothing" at the time too. But it caught up with him. If you abuse shit for the long term, there will be effects. Everyone thinks it won't be them until it happens.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    I know the majority of 10c members are against organized religion..
    however...if you have trouble sleeping...and you had already stated that
    its your mind that need the rest...read the first book of Chronicles in the Bible...

Dude if you can stay awake reading that...go back to drinking! :lol:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    conman wrote:

The Australian Government's healthy alcohol consumption advice for a man is 2 standard drinks per day....and I believe they recommend having 2 alcohol free days a week too.

He is double that....and has been for TEN years. That's not really "nothing". He's doing damage to his body....he may not be able to see it now but he is. People have to stop kidding themselves and thinking that their kidneys or liver or heart or whatever aren't going to be affected by the lifestyle they live. Look at Black Diamond. Heart attacks at 45. He's now been told no alcohol, no smoking and no red meat. I bet he thought his excess consumption was "nothing" at the time too. But it caught up with him. If you abuse shit for the long term, there will be effects. Everyone thinks it won't be them until it happens.
    i was just saying that 3 or 4 drinks isn't THAT strong of a dependancy and that he shouldn't have a problem breaking it
    conman wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    conman wrote:

i was just saying that 3 or 4 drinks isn't THAT strong of a dependancy and that he shouldn't have a problem breaking it

Oh.....well you're lucky you weren't saying it the other way or I'd have to post a big spiel about how you're wrong!!! :x :x

;)