Twinkies in Trouble

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/Ken-Wa ... bankruptcy

Twinkies in Trouble: Hostess Filing for Bankruptcy

In a move that will undoubtedly be celebrated by health-food enthusiasts everywhere, Hostess, Inc.—producers of American favorites like Twinkies, CupCakes, Ding Dongs, Mini Muffins and a host of other sweet treats—is reportedly preparing to file for Chapter 11 protection. The privately-owned, Texas-based company currently holds the equivalent of 1.4-billion Twinkies ($860 million) in debt, and has struggled since emerging from bankruptcy in 2009.

High labor prices and growing costs for sugar and other key ingredients precipitated Hostess' dire financial situation, but could another force be at play in the decline of junk food sales—Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" program?

[Not So Sweet: Twinkies Maker Hostess Preparing for Bankruptcy Again.]

The program's website isn't coy about its anti-snack food message, encouraging people "to eat fewer calories, be more physically active, and make wiser food choices." That message is reportedly causing pain for Hostess's 19,000 employees and countless fans across the world since fewer parents are tossing Ho Hos in their kids' lunch boxes.

Mrs. Obama has frequently spoken out against the way marketing for sweets targets children. When her husband took office, one of her first major projects was to try to ban snack food vending machines in public schools—many of which likely sport Twinkies and Dong Dongs.

As Hostess reels, Obama's crusade against fattening foods appears to be bearing fruit (despite being accused of some grassy-bag hypocrisy.)

There is some reassuring news for those worried about the disappearance of their favorite food snacks, and reports say that there is no need to rush to your local grocery store to snag the last box of Ho Hos. The Wall Street Journal reports that Hostess has lined up $75 million in financing to keep production going while the company settles its problems in court.

The Twinkies, which rumor has it last 100 years in their packaging, are safe ... for now.
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    better stock up, right?
    i hear Twinkies can take you through the apocalypse and out the other side

oh wait....
    so,then, i guess you really don't need that many :roll:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Tallahassee isn't going to be happy to hear this.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I saw this on TWC of all places the other day

wondered if that was a sign of smarter healthier eating or if Little Debbie took 'em out ;)
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Wow, I kinda forgot they existed till I read this.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    81 wrote:
    Tallahassee isn't going to be happy to hear this.
    That was a funny movie.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That's a big Twinkie.

BigTwinkie.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    Jason P wrote:
    That's a big Twinkie.

BigTwinkie.jpg
    this is exactly what i thought of when i first saw this thread :lol:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    F twinkies
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    F twinkies

F Ho Hos
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    tinkie.jpg
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Hmm.
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    This is a result of some bad management combined with insane union contracts. Not so much a health food kick.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I never really liked Twinkies anyway.

But if Goo-goos are in trouble, then I'll be upset.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23