What are your favourite travel destinations in the USA?

-Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
For those of you who live there or have travelled there, what are your favourite travel destinations in the USA?

I'm going to be planning a trip to the USA at some point this year. In 2004 I went to Arizona and New York City (10 days in each place) and i'm hoping to spend roughly around a month travelling this time around.

I definitely want to go to NYC again, but i'd also like to visit San Francisco, Seattle & Chicago, but i'm open to more suggestions. :)
PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Grand Canyon
    Sedona, AZ
    Death Valley California
    San Diego
    Florida Keys
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • San Fran
    Chicago
    Utah/arizona - Zion Nat Park, Canyonlands,Grand Canyon,Monument Valley
  • my top 5: San Franscisco, Chicago, Austin TX, Washington DC, Las Vegas
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Boston and San Fransisco are a must in my book. If your budget allows it, maybe go to Hawaii for a week or two too. My wife and I did New York - Hartford (visiting family) - Boston - Hawaii (Maui, Kauai, Oahu) - San Fransisco a few years back and had a fantastic time. We spent 3 - 4 days in each place.

Next time we are there I want to see Las Vegas and the grand canyon.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Washington DC without question

So much to do and see. Bring a good pair of walking shoes. A lot of free stuff.

Plus it's close to NYC if you want to hop up there for a couple days to visit the greatest city in the world again.

Good luck in your travels!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Yosemite National Park in California-we visited there after the Bridge School Benefit this year, and it was absolutely beautiful! Going there in October avoided a lot of crowds, and the scenery was just majestic!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    I agree that Washington DC is a must. If you continue heading south you can also head through the Blue Ridge Mountains for a beautiful drive. Then you could hit Nashville and Memphis (good for Graceland and Delta Blues history) and then end up in New Orleans. If you're going to be on the west coast, I recommend going to Seattle and then head down towards San Fran. If you have plenty of time and lots of money, go to Alaska, the most beautiful state IMO.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    I lived in DC for 11 years...I would say it is an absolute must. If you are definitely going to New York City (East Coast) and want to cut down on lengthy travel around the U.S. - I say do:

1) Washington, DC
    2) Philadelphia
    3) New York City
    4) Boston
    -You can take a train from each of these easily. All four are very good walking cities.

5) on your way home hit San Francisco, Seattle, SoCal...somewhere on the West Coast.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    San Fran is cool. Would like to visit Boston and Chicago one day.

Surprisingly i've only been to NYC twice and that was for concerts (Prodigy and Pearl Jam). WOuld like to go there for a day or two just to some "sight seeing"
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    definitely, the national parks ... depending on when you'd go ... i suggest different ones ...

Yosemite, Yellowstone/Tetons, Arches, Zion, Grand Canyon

But if you are only into cities (which i'm not really when traveling) then: The Bay Area (San Fran), Seattle, Charleston
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I agree our National Parks are awesome!

My best memories are those visits, that is living!

I also really loved Muir Woods... felt like a Hobbit for a day :D
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    -Emma- wrote:
    For those of you who live there or have travelled there, what are your favourite travel destinations in the USA?

I'm going to be planning a trip to the USA at some point this year. In 2004 I went to Arizona and New York City (10 days in each place) and i'm hoping to spend roughly around a month travelling this time around.

I definitely want to go to NYC again, but i'd also like to visit San Francisco, Seattle & Chicago, but i'm open to more suggestions. :)
    What time of year?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    alaska is cool
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Grand Canyon
    Sedona, AZ
    Death Valley California
    San Diego
    Florida Keys

If you end up near Sedona, look up Jerome, AZ. The drive up is awesome, it's a quirky little town, and you might bump into Maynard James Keenan.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Heisenberg wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Grand Canyon
    Sedona, AZ
    Death Valley California
    San Diego
    Florida Keys

If you end up near Sedona, look up Jerome, AZ. The drive up is awesome, it's a quirky little town, and you might bump into Maynard James Keenan.

I'll check it out next time out that way. The drive from the Grand Canyon to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon is so picturesque :D.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    Sea Isle City, New Jersey.
    www.myspace.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,707
    San Fransisco and on to Point Reyes National Seashore and Sonoma County coastal areas (both are north of S.F. on or along SR 1, often called Highway 1).

Have a great trip!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Come to the Great North West. Washington and BC are great. You have to see Mt. Rainier with your own eyes.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Alaska
    Colorado-Rocky Mtn National Park
    Wyoming-Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Park
    Tennessee-Smokey Mountains National Park
    New York City
    New Orleans
    Washington DC
    Arizona-Grand Canyon National Park
    Asheville, North Carolina
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    Heisenberg wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Grand Canyon
    Sedona, AZ
    Death Valley California
    San Diego
    Florida Keys

Back in 2004 we stopped in Sedona and we also went to Jerome as well :) . Also stayed in a great little place called Flagstaff for a couple of nights when we went to the Grand Canyon.

I'm not planning to hire a car because I don't think that I would feel comfortable driving on the other side of the road.
    What time of year?

Possibly around April-May, nothing is set in stone though, I need to organise everything. I ordered a stack of guidebooks (For...NYC, San Francisco & North California, Seattle, Chicago and a big USA guide), so when they arrive I will go through them to start planning and roughing out how many days to stay in each place, then I can go and see a travel agent.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

• NEW ORLEANS
    KEY WEST
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    -Emma- wrote:
    I'm not planning to hire a car because I don't think that I would feel comfortable driving on the other side of the road.

how are you planning on getting around?

last october i was in the US for 6 weeks and for 5 of those weeks i travelled by greyhound. it was exhausting... who knew sleeping for 2 days on a bus would tire you out? :lol: i crisscrossed the country 4x... the last time was by amtrak... 2 minutes out of the station i wished id spent the previous weeks travelling by train.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    NYC without a doubt, and driving the Pacific Coast Highway on our honeymoon was a trip and a half (wrong side of the road, wrong side of the car, automatic car and very unforgiving roads, with scary cliffs, made it though, 'Frisco to Santa Monica, with only a couple of scares :D
  • illinois.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    -Emma- wrote:

how are you planning on getting around?

last october i was in the US for 6 weeks and for 5 of those weeks i travelled by greyhound. it was exhausting... who knew sleeping for 2 days on a bus would tire you out? :lol: i crisscrossed the country 4x... the last time was by amtrak... 2 minutes out of the station i wished id spent the previous weeks travelling by train.

By plane, I'm not keen on travelling by greyhound. If there is only a really short distance to travel between somewhere and a train is the better option, then I would take that.

Obviously when i'm staying somewhere, I'd just be getting around the usual ways (by foot, public transport, cabs, etc), and the odd bus tour day trips.

• You need to rent a car and get a Garmen GPS. The public transportation sucks in many US cities and we all drive crazy. It would be half of the fun you'll have on your trip.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    You need to rent a car and get a Garmen GPS. The public transportation sucks in many US cities and we all drive crazy. It would be half of the fun you'll have on your trip.

It helps if the GPS works, ours didn't, made it all the more interesting, and scary in places
    You need to rent a car and get a Garmen GPS. The public transportation sucks in many US cities and we all drive crazy. It would be half of the fun you'll have on your trip.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable driving. If you guys drove on the left side of the road I would be happy to drive! :)

• jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    -Emma- wrote:

I really wouldn't feel comfortable driving. If you guys drove on the left side of the road I would be happy to drive! :)

If your not going to drive then i suggest you stick to cities.

Boston NYC WDC and or Philly on east coast

San fran or las vegas on the west.

if and when u decide on which city or cities to visit im sure we can make some must see suggestions within them :)
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Of the places I've been, all of which were pj related, Boston was pretty sweet.
    But I love going to Cleveland.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.