File Your Taxes For Free

mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
The IRS has partnered with 17 private brand name sites (Most popular: Turbotax, TaxACT, and H&R Block's TaxCut) which will allow you to file your taxes without the purchase of their software program. The free software is available to anyone who has an AGI below $57,000 (line 37).

You must access these sites through the IRS's FreeFile page in order for the free editions (cannot view or select companies until Jan. 17th): http://www.freefile.irs.gov/

Thought this might be helpful for people before they go out and purchase Turbotax 2012.
350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I done my tax myself online once, never again.
    I am sticking with the guy I tried last year, he got me a massive return.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    I done my tax myself online once, never again.
    I am sticking with the guy I tried last year, he got me a massive return.

OR go this route.....it keeps me in business.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    The IRS has partnered with 17 private brand name sites (Most popular: Turbotax, TaxACT, and H&R Block's TaxCut) which will allow you to file your taxes without the purchase of their software program. The free software is available to anyone who has an AGI below $57,000 (line 37).

You must access these sites through the IRS's FreeFile page in order for the free editions (cannot view or select companies until Jan. 17th): http://www.freefile.irs.gov/

Thought this might be helpful for people before they go out and purchase Turbotax 2012.

Thanks for the info! :thumbup:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i didn't do my taxes last year... is that bad? :?
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    conman wrote:

A little. You should do them to be honest just to avoid any problems.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    DS1119 wrote:
    conman wrote:

A little. You should do them to be honest just to avoid any problems.
    i'm a glutton for punishment.. i'll just see what happens :lol:
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Thanks for the info. We were thinking of doing ours online this year...we used to use H&R Block, and ever since I got married, it seems like we've ended up having to pay the IRS more and more every year. I haven't gotten a refund in 5 years. :?
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • iamica wrote:
    Thanks for the info. We were thinking of doing ours online this year...we used to use H&R Block, and ever since I got married, it seems like we've ended up having to pay the IRS more and more every year. I haven't gotten a refund in 5 years. :?

You have H&R Block in the USA?
    I thought that's an Aussie firm.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    iamica wrote:

Ha! H&R Block aren't even a real accounting firm, they are just tax preparers. But they are not actually CPA's.

My dad (being the accountant that he is) gets all angry when he sees their commercials every year! :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    iamica wrote:

refunds are bad....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    iamica wrote:

Ha! H&R Block aren't even a real accounting firm, they are just tax preparers. But they are not actually CPA's.

My dad (being the accountant that he is) gets all angry when he sees their commercials every year! :lol:

they piss me off too. as does liberty tax. i know people are using them that could file for free. people are stupid.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    conman wrote:

that's not so bright.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The free software is available to anyone who has an AGI below $57,000 (line 37).

I can not understand the 57K rule. I wrote my congressmen a letter about it, but of course, nothing changes. it's sucha stupid rule. :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    H&R block = amended tax return
  • I love how it's only available to people who make under 57 G's.

Why punish me for working hard and making more?
    I knew it all along, see?
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I love how it's only available to people who make under 57 G's.

Oh I'm feeling that today as I sort out financial aid for my kid who's going to college - it does seem like you are penalized for being frugal and saving.

but at the same time I guess the rationale is that if you make more you can afford to pay the filing fee. It isn't usually that much, and if you buy the software, it usually includes a free file anyway - I got the H&R block software off amazon for under $40 and it includes 5 free efiles.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    I love how it's only available to people who make under 57 G's.

Oh I'm feeling that today as I sort out financial aid for my kid who's going to college - it does seem like you are penalized for being frugal and saving.

but at the same time I guess the rationale is that if you make more you can afford to pay the filing fee. It isn't usually that much, and if you buy the software, it usually includes a free file anyway - I got the H&R block software off amazon for under $40 and it includes 5 free efiles.

and how much cheaper is it for the IRS to process a paper statement for an e statement?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    bumpditity...cause it's awesome info....

i'm amazed at how many people don't know about this...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg