Black Keys Drummer on Nickelback

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://stereogum.com/915012/black-keys- ... -the-beef/

Black Keys will cover the January 19th issue of Rolling Stone on the strength of their new LP, El Camino, and its critically positive reception. Given that shine, Keys drummer Patrick Carney doesn’t disappoint. An excerpt:

Rock & roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world,” he says, blowing cigarette smoke out the window of his rented East Village loft a few days ­before the band heads to L.A. “So they became OK with the idea that the biggest rock band in the world is always going to be shit – therefore you should never try to be the biggest rock band in the world. Fuck that! Rock & roll is the music I feel the most passionately about, and I don’t like to see it fucking ruined and spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous shit. When people start lumping us into that kind of shit, it’s like, ‘Fuck you,’ honestly.
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    :thumbup: :clap:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I thought he always seemed like the cool one in the group, but he sounds like a real bitch. Nickelback is lame and all, but what are the Black Keys doing that's so revolutionary to save rock music?
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    mfc2006 wrote:
    :thumbup: :clap:
    :clap:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DewieCox wrote:
    I thought he always seemed like the cool one in the group, but he sounds like a real bitch. Nickelback is lame and all, but what are the Black Keys doing that's so revolutionary to save rock music?

I don't really care for either band but I tend to agree with you. Not a real big fan when a band talks negatively about another band especially in a "nose in air" type way.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    DewieCox wrote:

I tend to agree,I have no time for Nickelback but they are very easy target,the Black Keys are the in thing ... at the moment ... but fame is a fickle mistress

I hope his arrogance doesn't come and bite him on the ass too soon.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    DewieCox wrote:

listen to their earlier stuff c. 2002-2006. it's so unique; feels like their own genre of blues/rock. their newer material has lost that blues touch, imho.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    I guess when they reach the level of Album sales that Nickleback has, I guess he can bitch. Also the Single guitarist and Drummer has been done before, it's called 'The White Stripes"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    DewieCox wrote:

listen to their earlier stuff c. 2002-2006. it's so unique; feels like their own genre of blues/rock. their newer material has lost that blues touch, imho.
    :?
    I have all their old stuff. It just sounds like blues rock to me but whatever it's good and i like it.

I agree with him and i've had similar conversatiosn with friends but this is one of those things you should probably never admit to a magazine. I don't think les of them for it though
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • GC31608GC31608 Posts: 229
    Black Keys have been around since 2001 and pretty much did everything on their own without the assistance of radio to make them popular or give them a push. It's 2011 and they are just now getting recognition and this was mainly due to them being tired of seeing empty pockets, so they did the next best thing and sold their songs for commercial use. It gets to a point where you love the music but at the same time have other responsibilities such as family, and you have to make some of the work pay off.

If you give an honest listen to any of their first five albums I can guarantee you'll become a fan. The new album is ok but definitely not their best work. So when you say the two man jam has been done before, well they never claimed to be the originators of it, but they sure as hell might be one of the best out there.
  • runchaserrunchaser Posts: 112
    That makes me like them even more :lol:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    quimby20 wrote:
    I guess when they reach the level of Album sales that Nickleback has, I guess he can bitch. Also the Single guitarist and Drummer has been done before, it's called 'The White Stripes"

And before that it was called "Local H", and who knows what else before. But as somebody else said, I don't think they're laying claim to inventing the Rock Duo. I don't listen to Black Keys myself, I've heard a few songs and didn't care for it, though I have nothing against it. So I can't really opine on whether or not they should be talking shit about Nickelback. But I can't really say they shouldn't though, because I have talked plenty of shit about them myself.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    quimby20 wrote:

And before that it was called "Local H", and who knows what else before. But as somebody else said, I don't think they're laying claim to inventing the Rock Duo. I don't listen to Black Keys myself, I've heard a few songs and didn't care for it, though I have nothing against it. So I can't really opine on whether or not they should be talking shit about Nickelback. But I can't really say they shouldn't though, because I have talked plenty of shit about them myself.

shouldnt (be talking shit...)???? what a weird turn of phrase. one should if one feels the need.. screw this shouldnt shit. its only music ffs.

... and on a lighter note(no pun intended) watching patrick carney drum is one of the joys of my music life.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    quimby20 wrote:

shouldnt (be talking shit...)???? what a weird turn of phrase. one should if one feels the need.. screw this shouldnt shit. its only music ffs.

... and on a lighter note(no pun intended) watching patrick carney drum is one of the joys of my music life.

cate, I have no clue what you're talking about.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,214
    Wow, going after Nickelback takes some real balls. Can someone ask him about Creed and Limp Bizkit, too?

Yech...tool.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    pjl44 wrote:
    Wow, going after Nickelback takes some real balls. Can someone ask him about Creed and Limp Bizkit, too?

Yech...tool.

fread.gif

cate, I have no clue what you're talking about.

well basically im saying who give a fuck about what a musician says about some band? havent we all made up our minds already as to how shit/not shit nickelback are/arent? we say when we love a band so why not when we dont? i dont give carneys statement anymore credence than i do yours, for example satan, just cause hes the drummer in the black keys. he shouldntve said it? why not? many other people do.

PM me for further clarity. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I think maybe you took what I said a different way than meant. I didn't say people shouldn't talk shit. My statement was that I can't really say people shouldn't talk shit about Nickelback, because I've talked a lot of shit about Nickelback. At least that's what I think I said, I'll go back and read, but that's what I meant to say.
    I think maybe you took what I said a different way than meant. I didn't say people shouldn't talk shit. My statement was that I can't really say people shouldn't talk shit about Nickelback, because I've talked a lot of shit about Nickelback. At least that's what I think I said, I'll go back and read, but that's what I meant to say.

this is what you said:

... So I can't really opine on whether or not they should be talking shit about Nickelback... But I can't really say they shouldn't though, because I have talked plenty of shit about them myself.

and what im saying is who are we to say who can and cant talk shit about whoever else? and if anyone can in the first place. i know you said you cant really say they shouldnt.. but to me its a non issue. thats what i meant... i wasnt taking a shot at you personally.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

this is what you said:

... So I can't really opine on whether or not they should be talking shit about Nickelback... But I can't really say they shouldn't though, because I have talked plenty of shit about them myself.

and what im saying is who are we to say who can and cant talk shit about whoever else? and if anyone can in the first place. i know you said you cant really say they shouldnt.. but to me its a non issue. thats what i meant... i wasnt taking a shot at you personally.

Well it was just in response to people talking about whether or not it was a smart move. The first part I was basically saying I don't know enough about their music to make a decision on whether or not they are better than Nickelback, the second part was basically just acknowledging the fact I've talked plenty of shit about Nickelback. I even signed the petition to keep them out of the Lions/Packers game. I wasn't making any actual statement on whether or not people should talk shit.

I was just making some off the cuff comment, I really didn't think it was going to be scrutinized... and I realize it's not a shot at me and it's not personal. I just didn't mean it literally about whether people should or shouldn't talk shit.