Options

No Code, the greatest album of the last 20 years

2»

Comments

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Newch91 wrote:
    No Code is my favorite PJ album as well, with Yield being an extremely close second. As others have noted, it represents a diversity of musical styles. The album has a good flow to it with every song being absolutely incredible. Jack Irons is due utmost credit for his warm drum tones and incredibly hard to duplicate drumming style. Those who praise Dave Abbruzzese as being the obvious top PJ drummer, I can tell you from a drummer's p.o.v., Jack Irons is far beyond a superior drummer to Dave. It was nice to see basically half of No Code being played at Vancouver this past year. I wish more of it were played regularly. Those who adore No Code, I recommend the Vancouver 2011 boot, the No Code selection is worth it alone.
    As a drummer also, I'll also agree with you about Jack being far superior than Dave (which isn't to knock Dave). Trying to play "In My Tree" on drums is tough and I still can't nail it.

Nice to see another drummers appreciation for Jack. I'm actually not a fan of Dave's drumming on Vs in particular. I feel he relies too heavily on cymbal work and lacks the dynamics of Matt and Jack. His performance was far more solid and more of a natural feel on Vitalogy, but I wish Jack would have been on those two albums. I suppose his performance on Vs is far from lackluster, but subjectively I just don't care for his style. Not to mention how the band felt about him, Ed in particular.

This is a debate Pearl Jam fans might be having 100 years from now. :lol: I personally am more of a fan of Jack and Matt than Dave A... but I do think that Dave was the right drummer at the time when they made Vs, especially when you listen to Go on Vs and compare it to any version that Jack or Matt have played. Matt has gotten better at it, but Dave A was insanely fast, and he could be really funky too.

However wrong it may have been the way they fired Dave, I think Pearl Jam needed a new drummer in order to continue... to continue as a band, to continue to grow... I hate to think of what every album since No Code would sound like if Dave A had been drumming on those albums. Actually, I don't think those albums would have ever happened if that were the case. :o
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    This is a debate Pearl Jam fans might be having 100 years from now. :lol: I personally am more of a fan of Jack and Matt than Dave A... but I do think that Dave was the right drummer at the time when they made Vs, especially when you listen to Go on Vs and compare it to any version that Jack or Matt have played. Matt has gotten better at it, but Dave A was insanely fast, and he could be really funky too.

However wrong it may have been the way they fired Dave, I think Pearl Jam needed a new drummer in order to continue... to continue as a band, to continue to grow... I hate to think of what every album since No Code would sound like if Dave A had been drumming on those albums. Actually, I don't think those albums would have ever happened if that were the case. :o[/quote]

I do concur that he brings a certain level of intensity that Jack and Matt may lack slightly but they make up for it in their greater level of technicality and style. Dave was a pretty good hard rock/funk drummer,there's little dispute there. Like you, trying to imagine Dave on No Code through the Riot Act years would be difficult. Then again, like you mentioned, this debate will go on and on. Dave may have progressed with the band and matured as they did. With hard rockers, such as Go or Animal, Dave gave the songs a harder edge with more intense funk like elements, but it seems that Jack actually gave them more swing and groove. Matt's style is far more tight and stiff, but still rocks quite hard.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    I love this album so much. When there are murmurs in the background of my head its this album.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,503
    No Code better than Ten, Vs., Vitalogy??? No way!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,404
    No Code better than Ten, Vs., Binaural??? No way!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,959
    For me its their last truly great album and this year I mean to own it on vinyl, after the ebay drama of 2011 burnt me pretty bad..

Apart from Ten its the studio album that I tend to go back to while I'm generally happier to listen to live versions of the rest of their output (well maybe some of Vitalogy - Immortality in particular - is better on the album).
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    LukinFan wrote:
    No Code - it's what got me into PJ

Yep same here, my favourite PJ album I reckon.
    I reckon this album sums up PJ.
    I cannot wait for the remastered 180g vinyl release!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    JACK

this.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    No Code better than Ten, Vs., Vitalogy??? No way!

no code and vs can duke it out, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of ten and vitalogy.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I don't know if NO CODE is the greatest album in the past 20 years, but after a couple of hours break of music, this is the one I am spinning right now... who you are...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    No Code is my fav pearl jam album for sure....Yield right there knocking on the back door...

I wish pearl jam would play more No Code tracks often at concerts..

Jeremy
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Brilliant album. Hail Hail and Off He Goes favourites....along with all the others of course! :lol:
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    I think as far as an album Goes binaural is the best. Its the most cohesive piece of art. No codes unreal and may have better individual songs but nothing takes me on a ride like binaural. Obvi just an opinion.
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    This is the album for me

The lyrics, the photography, the sound.....
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    #afuckinmen
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    it's one of them for sure, yes. :mrgreen:
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    belfast1 wrote:
    This is the album for me

The lyrics, the photography, the sound.....

it's the best PJ art work by far...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    DewieCox wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    It's not even PJ's best album of the last 20 years.

in your opinion :)

No doubt, I just don't think it stands up as a collective piece as well as Vs, Yield or Binaural. Still pretty great and I like as many songs on No Code as any other PJ(or any other band) album.

There are some albums from Tool, Black Crowes, White Stripes and Them Crooked Vultures that stand firmly above No Code for me.

No Code bows to Lateralus.

:o

I said it.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    No Code is my favorite PJ album as well, with Yield being an extremely close second. As others have noted, it represents a diversity of musical styles. The album has a good flow to it with every song being absolutely incredible. Jack Irons is due utmost credit for his warm drum tones and incredibly hard to duplicate drumming style. Those who praise Dave Abbruzzese as being the obvious top PJ drummer, I can tell you from a drummer's p.o.v., Jack Irons is far beyond a superior drummer to Dave. It was nice to see basically half of No Code being played at Vancouver this past year. I wish more of it were played regularly. Those who adore No Code, I recommend the Vancouver 2011 boot, the No Code selection is worth it alone.
    As a drummer also, I'll also agree with you about Jack being far superior than Dave (which isn't to knock Dave). Trying to play "In My Tree" on drums is tough and I still can't nail it.

Nice to see another drummers appreciation for Jack. I'm actually not a fan of Dave's drumming on Vs in particular. I feel he relies too heavily on cymbal work and lacks the dynamics of Matt and Jack. His performance was far more solid and more of a natural feel on Vitalogy, but I wish Jack would have been on those two albums. I suppose his performance on Vs is far from lackluster, but subjectively I just don't care for his style. Not to mention how the band felt about him, Ed in particular.

I play bass... I can drum but not that well.

Jack Irons laid sown some solid beats which I appreciate. I like hearing more drum than cymbal.

Dave was all over the place and it kind of drives me nuts.

Love Matt Cameron's work too.
  • Options
    eladder wrote:
    I think as far as an album Goes binaural is the best. Its the most cohesive piece of art. No codes unreal and may have better individual songs but nothing takes me on a ride like binaural. Obvi just an opinion.

Agreed, No Code has some fantastic songs on it but Binaural flows better at least to my ears.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I definitely agree with this!!!
  • Options
    I just happened to be listening to No Code today, as I was driving around. Although I prefer most of PJ's songs live, I found myself listening to Off He Goes over and over, and decided I actually prefer the studio version to the live one. Does anyone else feel this way?
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I just happened to be listening to No Code today, as I was driving around. Although I prefer most of PJ's songs live, I found myself listening to Off He Goes over and over, and decided I actually prefer the studio version to the live one. Does anyone else feel this way?

The studio Off He Goes IS really something. Ed's voice sound absolutely perfect.

I'm like that with most songs, actually. I think alot of the intricacies get lost in a live setting. Obviously alot can be said about the awesomeness of live performance, but in in general, for listening I prefer studio stuff.
  • Options
    RehabDoll wrote:
    I agree it's one of my favorites. Some amazing songs on it. Present Tense, is probably my favorite from No Code. One of the few albums were every song is just mindblowing

You have just inspired me to start listening again, it's been awhile since I've listened to it cover to cover.

Thanks

A week after posting this, I am still listening to it, after sitting on the fence for the last few years, I'm now ready to say this is my fav PJ album !!!! Although it doesn't contain one of my top 5 songs, it's the only album which I can say I love every song on. Fav song is def Off he goes....love it
    Sydney Ent Centre: 10/03/1995

All the rusted signs we ignore thoughout our lives
    Choosing the shiny ones instead
  • Options
    PK1115PK1115 Posts: 113
    NoCode1996 wrote:
    As the title says :D

Who else loves this stunning,amazing, beautiful album? Please discuss your opinions on it :thumbup:

I know I do :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/ZjzGL6yxTwA
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    PK1115 wrote:
    NoCode1996 wrote:

Who else loves this stunning,amazing, beautiful album? Please discuss your opinions on it :thumbup:

That was great! Thanks for posting! Was that you?

The video made me want to put the album on...and to also find a way to get the vinyl.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

The studio Off He Goes IS really something. Ed's voice sound absolutely perfect.

I'm like that with most songs, actually. I think alot of the intricacies get lost in a live setting. Obviously alot can be said about the awesomeness of live performance, but in in general, for listening I prefer studio stuff.

I agree, it's pretty rare that I buy live music from any artist.
  • Options
    PK1115PK1115 Posts: 113
    Newch91 wrote:
    PK1115 wrote:
    NoCode1996 wrote:

Yes it was. And gotta love the VINYL!!!
    More shows to come :D

That was great! Thanks for posting! Was that you?

The video made me want to put the album on...and to also find a way to get the vinyl.
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    DewieCox wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

in your opinion :)

No doubt, I just don't think it stands up as a collective piece as well as Vs, Yield or Binaural. Still pretty great and I like as many songs on No Code as any other PJ(or any other band) album.

I agree with this opinion as well.

My first thought was that it isn't even my favorite PJ album, so I couldn't call it the greatest album of the last 20 years. As one complete album, for me, Vs. reigns supreme.