Dogs Eating Poop

dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Got two dogs, both of whom eat poop. How do I get them to stop this disgusting habit!
It's nice to be nice to the nice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Call dibbs and eat it before they can. :P
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    stop pooping in their bowl
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    stop pooping in their bowl
    :lol:
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    :sick:
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Next time they do it just film them close up with a wide angle lens, you'll have a gold mine on your hands.

But seriously, I don't know how to make a dog stop eating poop, I've never had one do that. The only idea that comes to mind would be for you to pour Tabasco sauce on their poop, that would keep them from eating it, but then you'd always be running around pouring Tabasco sauce on dog shit.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,160
    The tobasco is a good idea actually - after a few times - they'd stop eating it - and then you would be able to stop running around pouring sauce on their shit.
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    My dog does that too - we get tons of geese in our area and he loves to eat their poop. :sick: I just keep an eagle eye on him when I'm walking him and pull him away when he gets close to it.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Maybe they're trying to tell you that they really don't like the food you're buying for them. Kind of like "look at us, we would rather eat shit than what's in our bowl".
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    how about cleaning up the poop?
  • Google CANINE COPROPHAGIA. My young pups all did it and eventually stopped. My adult dogs sometimes get to the livestock area and chow down. Look up coprophagia and this should give you some of the reasons they do this and offer solutions.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I say let them be. If all they do is eat their own poop you'll never have to feed them again!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I say let them be. If all they do is eat their own poop you'll never have to feed them again!

:lol:

oh God, and I am reminded of the movie the Human Centipede. :shock:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Some great ideas here but tobasco or the bad tasting spray that you can get for stuff around the house that you don't want them to chew on.
  • chelsea48chelsea48 Posts: 594
    DewieCox wrote:
    Some great ideas here but tobasco or the bad tasting spray that you can get for stuff around the house that you don't want them to chew on.
    Bitter apple spray i think.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Our little Maddie does that to this day.
    She was an abused rescue dog left hungry in an outside cage for months after being born.
    Ignored with no human bonding.
    She has come a long way but will always show these signs of being a victim
    and acquiring this as a habit.

What has worked for us is to try and understand why first and accept it to some degree.
    This helped us through.

I talked with our vet about it ...
    It can be a dietary deficiency or even the opposite... tasty poo. :shock:
    He really didn't help to much as I remember, this 10 years ago now.

We keep it picked up, older poo being more of a crunchy treat but I think frozen poo
    might be a delicacy here in Georgia... I noticed this just lately ;)

They are dogs... got to love em and try to understand what its like to be a dog

Lucy got a rabbit this past weekend and was savoring the gut parts by the time
    we found out ... that was much more disturbing to me...
    bad girl bunny breath she is
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    The only idea that comes to mind would be for you to pour Tabasco sauce on their poop, that would keep them from eating it, but then you'd always be running around pouring Tabasco sauce on dog shit.

This might work...... however you should also consider the pup who thinks his poop is actually bland and instead APPRECIATES the added pizazz....so do be careful of the possible additional ramifications of the added flavorings. :ugeek:
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    Our older dog does this too, also a rescue who seemed to be abused.

I have read putting meat tenderizer on thier food will some how make the pooh unappealing for them to eat.
    We never got that far.... It just made the food unappealing to them :lol: Go figure :lol:

Worth a try maybe if you have it in your kitchen.... Perhapse your pup isn't as picky with food.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    I have a horse and my dog loves eating horse manure- it's disgusting. I do not think there is anything to do but pull them away from the feces. (yuck)
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    We have a little jack Russell/Pug mix that loves to pick out some chocolate sticks from the cats litter box. It's annoying, to say the least!

We called her the 'Turd Burglar'! :lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    a switch to a high quality food usually does the trick-saw this a LOT when I worked at the vet clinic.

Poor quality foods have corn as the first ingredient. Corn is not very digestible, so when he consumes the corn based food, it basically just goes right thru him, and his poop ends up 'smelling' just like his food, so he eats it, thinking it's 'food'.

A product from your vet called For-Bid is sprinkled on his food, and when he eats it, the product changes the enzymes in the feces, making it highly un-palatable. After a round of the For-Bid, most pups will stop.

As others have said it can also be a behavior issue...most shelter/abused dogs do this as well.

Also, please take care of this as soon as possible, if he has worms or any other intestinal diseases, coprophagia will just keep the cycle going, and your dog can transmit these diseases to you...not very pleasant...especially if you have small children i.e. ringworms, roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, leptospirosis.

Good Luck.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    My parents have a puggle that use to eat his own poop. The vet gave them some pills to give him to make him stop (not sure what they were).
    My younger brother says " What do the pills do? Make his poop taste bad?" :lol::lol:

I've noticed most dogs have a fondness for cat shit...
    My parents use to have a shepard/lab mix...he was the best dog ever and very well behaved...except when it came to cat shit. He even knew it was wrong...he would come walking up the basement steps, head hung in shame with cat litter crumbs on his face...he just couldn't resist grabbing some of those tasty treats. :lol:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    how about cleaning up the poop?
    I think this is the way to go...
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    afroannnie wrote:
    My parents have a puggle that use to eat his own poop. The vet gave them some pills to give him to make him stop (not sure what they were).
    My younger brother says " What do the pills do? Make his poop taste bad?" :lol::lol:

My parents use to have a shepard/lab mix...he was the best dog ever and very well behaved...except when it came to cat shit. He even knew it was wrong...he would come walking up the basement steps, head hung in shame with cat litter crumbs on his face...he just couldn't resist grabbing some of those tasty treats. :lol:

that's called 'kitty roca' :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Rabbits are weird aren't they? They have day and night faeces. Coz their digestion is so fast, they re-eat their poo to get the extra nutrients from it. Yum! :? But they are cute though. :D
    pandora wrote:
    She was an abused rescue dog left hungry in an outside cage for months after being born.

What has worked for us is to try and understand why first and accept it to some degree.
    This helped us through.

We keep it picked up, older poo being more of a crunchy treat but I think frozen poo

“ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Loulou wrote:
    Rabbits are weird aren't they? They have day and night faeces. Coz their digestion is so fast, they re-eat their poo to get the extra nutrients from it. Yum! :? But they are cute though. :D
    pandora wrote:

This helped us through.

...and the digestive systems of elephants are so inefficient that a lot of other animals pick undigested foodstuff from their poop.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    RKCNDY wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

that's called 'kitty roca' :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
    Why do they love them so much?
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • StevieGStevieG Posts: 850
    I believe it's due to a lesser quality of food. It is not digested properly and hence the shit smells like their food so they eat it. I could be wrong on this one but I seem to recall a friend who was going to veterinary college tell me this.
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    tybird wrote:
    Loulou wrote:
    pandora wrote:

This helped us through.

...and the digestive systems of elephants are so inefficient that a lot of other animals pick undigested foodstuff from their poop.
    wow learn something new everyday! 8-)
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Trade them in for cats.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I knew of one dog that did this.

His name was Wimpy.

His name gave him a complex.