Options

Top 5 of 2011

photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
After reading the forum and looking at friend's posts on Facebook, I've noticed several people make lists documenting their favorite things from the year. I've never done that...so it's interesting to me. What a great way to discover some new things and find out what mattered to people in 2011! However, rather than do a "favorite things" list that could be endless...I propose we do it High Fidelity style and list our Top 5 things from 2011! You can put anything on your list...I just want to know what five things really made your year! Go!
cusack1.jpg
"I am myself...like you, somehow."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    So where are your top 5 Liz?
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Now that I think about it:

2. Meeting some very good people this year on the forums. Thank you.
  • Options
    sheila0225 wrote:
    I haven't gotten there yet...I'm at work and just saw on my FB page that someone else was making a "favorite list" for 2011. I don't know why I've never done it, but I haven't. I'm horrible with favorites...that could be the reason. I do figure I can come up with five things that were really great for me in 2011, though. Let me think about it and I'll post it soon :)
    What about you? :)
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Well, you're welcome. It was, in fact, all my doing ;) Keep going...waiting on 3-5 :D
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Well, you're welcome. It was, in fact, all my doing ;) Keep going...waiting on 3-5 :D

3. I spent a week in Vegas by myself in March and had nothing but beer, gambling, Sonic, In n Out, beer, gambling, Hoover Dam, In n Out, gambling, beer, and fun.
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    sheila0225 wrote:
    I haven't gotten there yet...I'm at work and just saw on my FB page that someone else was making a "favorite list" for 2011. I don't know why I've never done it, but I haven't. I'm horrible with favorites...that could be the reason. I do figure I can come up with five things that were really great for me in 2011, though. Let me think about it and I'll post it soon :)
    What about you? :)
    Trying to get it down to just 5!! :o:mrgreen:
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I finally bought a record player this year, so rediscovering vinyl has been cool
    Pearl Jam in Alpine
    Eddie in Philly & NYC
    Paris, what a great city
    And most importantly friends & family
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    5. Ran my own division and brought back a group that was supposed to be terminated into a highly profitable one

4. Got fired because of work politics but had 6 months off for the first time in my life... It was awesome!!
    3. Got a new job in Miami Beach :mrgreen:
    2. Had a 2 week PJ extravaganza and met (and drank and flew and drove and partied and laughed) some of the greatest people on this planet.
    1. Survived a Heart Attack and am now BD v2.0
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    5. We moved away from Waco! :D
    4. PJ20 weekend--meeting everyone, playing the preparty, seeing PJ 2 nights in a row!!! (meeting everyone was the highlight of this highlight :))
    3. Having a blast making music with Chris--not only a talented guy, but one of my best friends.
    2. Having a lot of quality time with our families & friends. It means a lot especially bc we're moving soon & visits will be limited
    1. My wife. She makes every single day an awesome one!

Cheers to you all! Hope to see you at a pj show in 2012!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    5. My vacation to Cancun with my dad and sister: Was very surprised when my dad told me he was taking my sister and I on vacation. He's not in good physical health and I knew the trip would be strenuous on him. We told him it would be OK not to go, but he insisted. Very selfless of him to do and though what he could do was limited, I think he had fun. I certainly did! Took a nice boat ride, swam with the dolphins, got a nice massage, and lots of beach time with fruity drinks!

4. Completing my first year of college in May, and making dean's list both semesters: couldn't have asked for a better freshman year. Worked hard, partied hard, met a few people I think I'll be friends with forever, was just a fantastic experience.

3. First festival experiences: the Saturday of Mountain Jam in upstate NY and the last day of the DMB Caravan Festival in Atlantic City. Went to Mt. Jam with one of my best friends and went to Caravan with my other best friend, so the company was wonderful! Crossed off so many artists in just 2 short days total and was close to the stage for pretty much all acts I saw, which was really cool! Festivals: tiring, but SO worth it!

2. Seeing rock and roll heroes of mine: Nothing compares to seeing a legend of yours live and I got to cross off seeing Neil Young in Baltimore and Paul McCartney at Yankee Stadium this year! Both shows went above and beyond expectations and both Neil and Paul still have it! Was such a rush to be at those shows and singing along to songs that are so damn important to me. (So much so that a little while after seeing Paul, I ended up getting a blackbird tattoo, another highlight of the year!) 2 nights I will NEVER forget!

1. Pearl Jam side project shows: Though I wish I would have gotten the chance to see Pearl Jam this year, it was great not to be left empty handed with the Tres Mts show and 2 EV shows I saw! Tres Mts I was on the rail, right in front of Mike. Got his pick during My Baby, a moment I will never forget. Better yet, met him after the show and got a picture and autograph. When a hero of yours turns out to be nothing but the NICEST dude, it's something you can't even put into words properly. Can't thank Mike enough! Also, that show just kicked MAJOR ass! The EV shows I saw were also beyond phenomenal, so beautiful and everything I thought they would be and more. Those 2 shows go down as some of my favorite shows I've ever been to! Shaking Ed's hand after the first show and meeting Glen Hansard before the second night were just icing on the cake!

EDIT: That was nice to talk about all the good stuff! 2011 was a little rough for me, but thinking about those moments made me smile :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,191
    3. Had a great Pearl Jam year

2. Got "almost" front seats to see Eddie Vedder in Boston

1. Met and went to visit with Black Diamond and his family TWICE and had
    a freaking Phenom of a time!

sorry...I only have 3 :( BUT...

they are a GREAT 3 :D
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    In no particular order

Vacation in Sedona/Scottsdale, AZ with the wife
    Vacation in Cape Cod with the entire family
    Vacation in Hersey Park with the family
    Foo Fighters in Boston
    My brother in law moving to Florida
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    :lol::lol:

Wait I moved to Florida... This isn't Scott is it? :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    :lol::lol:

Wait I moved to Florida... This isn't Scott is it? :?

oh shit. akward :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    PJ20
    Packers winning the Superbowl

Nothing else even comes close to holding a candle to either of those!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    - foos in montana. 3 hr show and it was LOUD. great show.
    - pond hockey league championship (not much is sweeter than beating your friends)
    - saw the boys in vancouver. rode the amtrak. saw angry ed up close. super fun road trip and great show. did not wear lucic jersey. thanks to calibigwave for the tix hookup.
    - ed in boston. took mom. magic.
    - 2011 boston bruins. what a ride!
    uke can save the world
  • Options
    1. having the greatest girl in the world move in
    2. Foo Fighters in Memphis
    3. Beer...and finding this store....http://www.hopsandhabanas.com/
    4. All the PJ stuff even though I missed the weekend
    5. Hell, just making it through, still alive and fairly well, as well as all my family and dearest friends
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Rush in Glasgow
    Getting my house reno's finished
    Healing,somewhat
    Being here when I couldn't get to any PJ shows
    A friendship made here
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    5. Started with an awesome New Years day spent with new friends (New Year 2011)
    4. Ravi Shankar live - the guy may be 91 but he is still breath taking not only in his skill but his joy for playing.
    3. Friend's wedding
    2. Trip of a life time to Tanzania, Africa, to teach first aid to secondary school students
    1. The blossoming of a very special friendship whose continuous love and support blows me away every day
  • Options
    lcusicklcusick Posts: 310
    5. Seeing U2 in Pittsburgh.
    4. Seeing Eddie Vedder in NYC.
    3. Visiting my son in Hawaii
    2. Missing Alpine Valley (boohoo) because I was watching my oldest son get married that weekend. What a great time that was!- Went to PJ movie instead.
    1. Riding my horse, hanging out with great friends and family, and mostly chillin with my husband.
  • Options
    5. A friend's wedding in North Carolina - Joey and I went to his friend Greg's wedding in North Carolina and had an awesome time for nearly a week! Between the wedding, a spontaneous trip to Virginia Beach, speeding tickets, Latvian beer, and a HUGE (and free) upgrade at The Siena Hotel...it was a wonderful and surprisingly romantic getaway.

4. Concerts - Joey and I went to a number of concerts this year and I had some really great moments, both personally and with him. I got to go to Memphis for the first time to see the Beale Street Music Festival where I saw Jason Mraz front row ( :D ), we both bought cowboy boots (which I NEVER thought I would own) to go see Jason Aldean, I got to see Ray LaMontagne with Joey and my best friend Heather in KC, I met Brandi Carlile (my favorite female artist) in person and got her autograph ( :mrgreen: ), and I saw some guys perform in Wisconsin...which I'll mention later.

3. Pearl Jam - My boyfriend, Joey, introduced me to Pearl Jam in 2009 when we became friends in grad school. In early 2010 we started dating and one of our first "official" dates was to see PJ in St. Louis. However, 2011 was the year that I fully embraced PJ and became a fan in my own right. We went to St. Louis to see Eddie's solo tour (with Glen Hansard!!!) and made it a family event with his brother and his mom and dad; then, Joey and I made the trip to Wisconsin for PJ's destination weekend for PJ20 (which was incredible and took my fandom to a new level :D ); started collecting posters to the shows we've been to and framing them together; and finally, soon after PJ20 I joined Ten Club and got the chance to interact and befriend some of the most wonderfully kind, welcoming people. PJ was a pretty significant part of 2011 for me.

2. Taiwan - In March of 2011, Joey and I went on our first international vacation together to celebrate our one year anniversary. We went to Taiwan and had the most incredible time...we did a lot of hiking (as well as some hitchhiking--a first for me), saw some incredibly beautiful scenery, struggled through challenging language barriers, shared our feelings on the top of an amazing crag, and flew out of Japan (although both of us very seriously considered staying for a couple days) right before the devastating tsunami hit. We can't wait to go back...

1. Joey - The best part of 2011 for me was, hands down, this man. He was there through all the good I've listed above (and the good I couldn't fit on this list) as well as through all the bad of 2011...never once wavering in the quality or quantity of love he provided. I feel completely loved, for the first time in my life, and he has shown me what it feels like to be truly happy and part of a functional, loving family. He is the love of my life and my best friend...I can't wait to see what 2012 brings for us.
  • Options
    5. Ran my own division and brought back a group that was supposed to be terminated into a highly profitable one

4. Got fired because of work politics but had 6 months off for the first time in my life... It was awesome!!
    3. Got a new job in Miami Beach :mrgreen:
    2. Had a 2 week PJ extravaganza and met (and drank and flew and drove and partied and laughed) some of the greatest people on this planet.
    1. Survived a Heart Attack and am now BD v2.0
    What a year!!! Glad v2.0 is here! :D
    DS1119 wrote:
    3. I spent a week in Vegas by myself in March and had nothing but beer, gambling, Sonic, In n Out, beer, gambling, Hoover Dam, In n Out, gambling, beer, and fun.
    Shhhh....what happens in Vegas...
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    1- labor day weekend... enough said

2 - family vacation and my nieces and nephews acknowledging me as their uncle(they were really young or not born when i left for the navy so they don't really know me :| )

3 - seeing 2 of my favorite bands for the first time live

4 - helped some people with things about joining the navy(they had doubts and i gave my personal opinion, experience and guidance.. it felt good for some reason :? )

5 - i grew up a little more and got a little smarter and learned alot about myself
  • Options
    conman wrote:
    Who did you see?
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    conman wrote:
    Who did you see?
    foo fighters and my morning jacket
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    conman wrote:
    conman wrote:
    Who did you see?
    foo fighters and my morning jacket

How could I forget Foo Fighters in my little countdown? And same situation for me, they're one of my favorite bands and it was the first time seeing them live! Definitely one of the most memorable shows of my 2011, I think about how much fun I had constantly!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Rush in Glasgow
    Getting my house reno's finished
    Healing,somewhat
    Being here when I couldn't get to any PJ shows
    A friendship made here
    :D
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    5.saw pj at Jimmy fallon,best birthday gift ever.
    4.Nais played at Toronto 1 for me and got the setlist as a gift
    3.people i met at pj20 weekend
    2.be friends with Adam and met his family
    1.fall in love with an amazing woman..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”