What are the Colts thinking??

CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,792
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Firing Polian, who by most accounts is one of the best in the business. Granted this season was shitty, I'd rather be in their position for the 1st time in 13years(#1 pick) than be 8-8 and just missed the playoffs. They are gonna get Luck and so what if you have a bad season for the 1st time in over a decade.... Polian made some good moves to put them on the threshold year in and year out. Maybe they could have afforded a decent backup if Irsay wasn't so adamant on making Manning(at his age,health) the highest paid QB in the league eventhough Manning didn't want to make a dollar more than Tom Brady and took less(the same as Brady annually).

I'm not a Colts fan , just struck me as odd. I see this season as a blessing in disguise for that franchise especially if Luck is as good as advertised. The ultimate torch passing kinda like David Robinson and Tim Duncan. That worked out pretty well.

The Colts weren't gonna win it all this year anyway(Manning or no Manning).... Is Irsay crazy to not expect 1 stinker of a season in 13 years. All teams have one of these.

I'm thinking he wanted to get rid of Polian for personal reasons and this Season gave him the opportunity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    I read an article today, can't remember where, that said they think it has to do with the fact Polian may have been planning on getting rid of Manning and going in a different direction and Irsay is incredibly close with Manning and canned him because of that. Who knows. Makes some sense even though I don't really think you can rely on Manning again and I think he should just hang it up.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I read an article today, can't remember where, that said they think it has to do with the fact Polian may have been planning on getting rid of Manning and going in a different direction and Irsay is incredibly close with Manning and canned him because of that. Who knows. Makes some sense even though I don't really think you can rely on Manning again and I think he should just hang it up.

This. My first reaction when I heard of the firing was it must have something to do with a disagreement over Manning. If I were a GM at the end of the season I'd be extremely nervous this guy was on the market. What I wouldn't give for him to be with buffalo!!
  • As a Bills fan, forever in pain, I can promise whomever lands Polian will instantly be a winner and well respected. He took the Bills from back to back 2 and 14 seasons to the pinnacle, took the Panthers to the Super Bowl faster than any new franchise in history and took over the Colts when they were pretty much a laughing stock (pre-Manning) and put them on the road to success. Many people think he is a Hall of Famer and I happen to agree.........
    Rochester NY 10/27/91 - Toronto 8/5/92 - Toronto 8/18/93 - Rochester NY 4/7/94 - Buffalo 10/1/96 - Toronto 8/22/98 - NY Jones Beach 8/25/00 - Saratoga 8/27/00 - NJ 9/2/00 - Philly 4/28/03 - NJ 7/6/03 - NJ 7/14/03 - Philly 10/3/05 - NJ 5/27/06 - NJ 5/28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Paris 9/11/06 - NJ 6/19/08 - NJ 6/20/08 - Philly 10/28/09 - Philly 10/30/09 - NY (SNL) 3/13/10 - MSG 5/20/10 - MSG 5/21/10 - Eddie (Philly) 6/25/10 - Toronto 9/11/11 - Toronto 9/12/11 - Eddie (Phoenix) 11/4/12 - Philly 9/2/12 - Buffalo 10/12/13 - Philly 10/21/13 - Philly 10/22/13 - Hartford 10/25/13 - Baltimore 10/27/13 - Seattle 12/6/13 - Detroit 10/16/14 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Columbia SC 4/21/16 - Boston 8/5/16 - Chicago 8/18/18 - Chicago 8/20/18 - Boston 9/2/18
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This. My first reaction when I heard of the firing was it must have something to do with a disagreement over Manning. If I were a GM at the end of the season I'd be extremely nervous this guy was on the market. What I wouldn't give for him to be with buffalo!!

Yeah, it definitely makes sense but I can't really imagine it is the best decision from a football perspective. That is some loyalty though.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, it definitely makes sense but I can't really imagine it is the best decision from a football perspective. That is some loyalty though.

I wouldn't think so either and obviously no one knows the facts yet or may never know, but when egos get involved sometimes rational thought gets thrown out the window. Shit, what I wouldn't do to have him back in Buffalo again. Unfortunately that will NEVER happen. :evil: