Options

Songs too sad to even listen to

Comments

• Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    Mad Season Wake Up Just Wish he could have taken his own advice we all miss him so much :cry:
    +1 Also try River of Deceit. Another corker is Brad - Some Never Come Home.
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    for me - Parting ways, black, the end, man of the hour, off he goes, immortality ... hum a bit of every song and you'll know what i mean :) although they're all theraputic in thier own way ... i bet I've missed a few... Oh Release, that always ends in tears. ;)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    .... Thumbing my way
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    Say Hello 2 Heaven
    Seasons
    Thumbing My Way
    The End
    Come Back

Others...my apologies for the long list of non-Pearl Jam songs but went through a rough patch in my life for about six years where all I felt like I had in the world was music and nothing beyond that . Music was my release and how I dealt with pain. These songs spoke to me on many levels.

Here Today - Paul McCartney
    Razor, Let It Die - Foo Fighters
    Guess I'm Doing Fine - Beck
    The Rapture - The Quiet
    Angel - Sarah McLachlan
    Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - Green Day
    Helplessly Hoping - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    Take It All - Adele
    Somewhere I Belong, Faint - Linkin Park
    Jar Of Hearts - Christina Perri
    05/19/06 Grand Rapids, MI
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
    09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI
    09/04/11 Alpine Valley, WI
  • Options
    I will follow you into the dark - Death Cab for Cutie
  • Options
    nothing_man_92nothing_man_92 Canberra, Australia Posts: 344
    nothingman always gets me going i get goosebumps everytime i hear " She once believed"
  • Options
    recently Andrew Woods This Time
    "Don't have to use even if that's how I feel" just so sad
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    man of the hour and the end really hit a nerve for me. but i still listen to them.
    and from other bands, for martha by the pumpkins is pretty damn sad too.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    For me, the most obvious is "The End". I'm also thinking Other Side is pretty sad too.
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    For me, this one's easy..."Waiting Around to Die" by the late great Townes Van Zandt is the saddest song ever written. Unfortunately, Townes' life was not too far from the lyrics of the song. He struggled with mental illness and addiction for most of his life. Also had a huge gambling problem, which usually left him destitute. He's not as well-known as he should be, though he did write "Pancho and Lefty" which was a huge hit for Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard and has even been covered by Bob Dylan in recent years. Steve Earle was once quoted as saying "Townes Van Zandt is the greatest songwriter ever, and I'd stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table and tell him that." When Townes heard that quote, his response was classic: "Well, I've met Bob's bodyguard, and if Steve thinks he can stand on his coffee table, I'm afraid he's mistaken." I'd encourage all who haven't heard of the guy to look into him...listen to his songs...help keep his legacy alive.
    Anyway, here's the lyrics to "Waitin' Around to Die"...if anyone knows a sadder song, I'd love to hear it (or maybe not) :D

Sometimes I don't know where this dirty road is taking me
    Sometimes I can't even see the reason why
    I guess I keep on gamblin', lots of booze and lots of ramblin'
    It's easier than just a-waitin' 'round to die

One-time friends I had a ma, I even had a pa
    He beat her with a belt once cause she cried
    She told him to take care of me, she headed down to Tennessee
    It's easier than just a-waitin' 'round to die

I came of age and found a girl in a Tuscaloosa bar
    She cleaned me out and hit it on the sly
    I tried to kill the pain, I bought some wine and hopped a train
    Seemed easier than just a-waitin' 'round to die

A friend said he knew where some easy money was
    We robbed a man and brother did we fly
    The posse caught up with me, drug me back to Muskogee
    It's two long years, just a-waitin' 'round to die

Now I'm out of prison, I got me a friend at last
    He don't steal or cheat or drink or lie
    His name's codeine, he's the nicest thing I've seen
    Together we're gonna wait around and die
  • Options
    I don't think that there's a PJ song that is too sad for me to actually listen to, but Dropkick Murphy's "The Torch" is hard for me to listen to.
    Walking is still honest
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    For me, The long road always makes me think of Indiana state highway patrolman Scott Patrick. A good friend of mine in high school who was killed in the line of duty. I listened to this song over and over driving the 900 miles from south Carolina to his funeral. I couldn't listen to it for years without getting choked up.
    Now, I hear that song and appreciate all the men and women in law enforcement, firefighters, and our military.
  • Options
    September by Ryan Adams
  • Options
    Nevermind90Nevermind90 Posts: 722
    indifference

sometimes Black, jeremy, inside job & the end
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • Options
    Chloe dancer
    Nothingman
    Down in a hole
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    I'd say listening to Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. So sad and regretful. Makes me sad every time. :(
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    So true!! I wanna add hurt to my list too!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    Stevie Wonder - I Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6qJERYTc8

He played it at Michael Jackson's memorial service; It is so beautiful and the lyrics so perfect, but after I downloaded it, I think I've listened to it maybe twice and can't do it anymore.

Also, Tom Traubert's Blues by Tom Waits is so depressing and amazing, but sometimes it makes me laugh because it is kind of like every Tom Waits song rolled into one. Tom Waits lyrics in a nutshell. "No one speaks english and everything's broken..."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkOMiA_uGso
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    Loulou wrote:
    I'd say listening to Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. So sad and regretful. Makes me sad every time. :(

Seriously, girl. The song with the video especially is just too much to handle. :(
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    kscolattikscolatti Posts: 3
    In 1995 I was 13 years old, with tickets to see Pearl Jam on the Vitalogy tour in my hometown Missoula, MT. I was so excited. It was a Friday night, I was getting ready to leave for a friends house, I was listening to Vitalogy and when it was time to go I just paused the CD like I always do. A few hours later, my Mom's best friend was at my friends house to pick me up because my Uncle had been in a car crash and passed away. I had nothing, and when I got home I went directly to my room and unpaused my CD player...this is what I heard "She once believed in every story he had to tell". I sat and listened to nothingman, and felt empty. Instead of going to the concert on February 8, 1995 I was with my family burying my beloved uncle. Seventeen years later I still can not listen to nothingman without crying...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,877
    "All or None". This is such a great song- it sounds so dark and depressing to me and at times it's just the right song but often times it gets the "skip" button.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I agree, it's a beautiful song and Eddie's voice is so great on it, but I usually skip it too. I actually skip most of the last track on PJ albums (except Release, of course) because they almost always end their albums on a sad note. C'mon, guys!
    brianlux wrote:
    "All or None". This is such a great song- it sounds so dark and depressing to me and at times it's just the right song but often times it gets the "skip" button.
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Loulou wrote:

Seriously, girl. The song with the video especially is just too much to handle. :(
    It really is isn't it? :( I love Nine Inch Nails doing this song too and Ed of course. ;) saw Nine Inch Nails do Hurt here a few years ago and it sent shivers up my spine. Such a great band. :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    It is a great song, either way, just really, really sad. I still haven't tracked down EV's version of it, someone said recently he covered it, which is kind of hard to imagine but i'm sure it's good. :)
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    It is a great song, either way, just really, really sad. I still haven't tracked down EV's version of it, someone said recently he covered it, which is kind of hard to imagine but i'm sure it's good. :)

He covered Hurt in Chicago 2008 for the first time.. Good rendition, I would say

A sad song for me is Do the evolution.. I think about how much this world sucks when I listen to that song, and.. :cry: ..that only happens with the studio version, for some reasons.. the live versions make me happy, actually..
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    "Man of the Hour" from Water on the Road. The first time I heard this version, I had to actually stop the DVD and leave the room for a while I was crying so hard.

This x 10
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    Release

Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me

I know the topic says to sad to even listen to but I actually listen to this song quite a bit. Every listen helps release some of the pain of losing my father when I was 14.
    I Know I Was Born
    And I Know That I'll Die
    The In Between Is Mine
    I Am Mine
  • Options
    "Don't gimme no lip"

That little laugh Stone does towards the end of the song gets me everytime.
    -Nate
    aka Nathan_4_2_say

"Life, has nothin' to do with, killin' time"- 'All Night'
  • Options
    AgRyan04AgRyan04 Posts: 30
    Without question it is The End.

My mother was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer last spring (2011) and all of a sudden that song had a face that I loved attached to it. I prayed that they wouldn't play it at PJ20 because I would have lost it.

Thankfully, she has beaten the cancer and is in complete remission now.....but I still can't listen to it.
    PJ: 5/21/10 - MSG II, 9/3/11 - PJ20 N1, 9/4/11 - PJ20 N2, 7/13/13 - Wrigley, 11/15/13 - Dallas
    EV: 11/12/12 - Houston, 11/13/12 - Houston

Play the South
  • Options
    Tora74Tora74 Posts: 107
    Hmm there really shouldn't be any song too sad to listen too.

All songs should be heard!!!

At least once lol ;)

If you really feel the song moves you that way you should thank the Artist He/She/It HUMAN did their job Dude...

Like these guys Pearl Jam...

Thanks guys!!!

PEACE
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    3.29.94 St. Pete, FL
    9.21.12 Pensacola, FL
    11.1.13 New Orleans, LA
    10.14.14 Memphis, TN
    4.13.16 Jacksonville, FL
    EV 11.21.12 Memphis, TN
    EV 11.28.12 Orlando, FL