Options

Super Bowl....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Giants will be facing a better offense but a much worse defense than they did today. Should be fun. I like their chances more than I did the first time around.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    One way or another this WILL NOT be a close game......a blowout is coming.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    This Super Bowl is going to be the first I don't watch a minute of. I hate these two teams in the first place, and they've already played before...booring. If the Saints don't turn the ball over 5 times (and still almost win) I'd get to enjoy watching Brees pile up 450 yards and 5 TDs against a hapless Pats defense. Hapless I say? Didn't Trent Dilfer just say how the Pats D has improved exponentially since Week 9? Let's look back in Week's 6-8 the Pats played Romo home), Big Ben (road), and Eli (home) and went 1-2 (should have lost all 3). Since then this is the cavalcade of stars they've faced at QB:
    Sanchez
    Palko
    Vince Young
    Orlovsky
    Grossman
    Tebow
    Matt Moore
    Fitzpatrick
    Tebow
    Flacco

During that last drive even the announcers pointed out that the Pats were not disguising their defense (likely because of injury and lack of talent) and Joe Flacco literally went the length of the field in 1.50 against them only to be stopped by a nice play by the DB and a missed FG. Freaking Joe Flacco did that with Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans. Barring another monster game by Wilfork (and maybe even with it) Eli is likely to torch the Pats with Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. While I won't be watching this game I sure as hell know who I'm betting on.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    This Super Bowl is going to be the first I don't watch a minute of. I hate these two teams in the first place, and they've already played before...booring. If the Saints don't turn the ball over 5 times (and still almost win) I'd get to enjoy watching Brees pile up 450 yards and 5 TDs against a hapless Pats defense. Hapless I say? Didn't Trent Dilfer just say how the Pats D has improved exponentially since Week 9? Let's look back in Week's 6-8 the Pats played Romo home), Big Ben (road), and Eli (home) and went 1-2 (should have lost all 3). Since then this is the cavalcade of stars they've faced at QB:
    Sanchez
    Palko
    Vince Young
    Orlovsky
    Grossman
    Tebow
    Matt Moore
    Fitzpatrick
    Tebow
    Flacco

During that last drive even the announcers pointed out that the Pats were not disguising their defense (likely because of injury and lack of talent) and Joe Flacco literally went the length of the field in 1.50 against them only to be stopped by a nice play by the DB and a missed FG. Freaking Joe Flacco did that with Anquan Boldin and Lee Evans. Barring another monster game by Wilfork (and maybe even with it) Eli is likely to torch the Pats with Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. While I won't be watching this game I sure as hell know who I'm betting on.

Good Luck!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    g under p wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Sanchez
    Palko
    Vince Young
    Orlovsky
    Grossman
    Tebow
    Matt Moore
    Fitzpatrick
    Tebow
    Flacco

Good Luck!

Peace

they held eli to a 77 passer rating in that game. he did not look good for the majority of that game..giants did a good job sticking to their run game despite averaging less than 4 yards a carry. i think that is why they won. they kept the ball away from brady. now with bradshaw healthy, i definitely think they will go with a similar game plan.

steelers flat out beat them primarily because the pats could not run the ball and pretty much abandoned it.

and the pats defense held romo and the cowboys to 16 points.

....if you want to look at some bad regular season defensive figures, go take a look at the giants numbers.

so if we're looking at the regular season as a whole you can say both the giants and pats defenses were not very good (people forget how dreadful the giants d was up until about a month ago). both of them were riddled with injuries. both are relatively healthy now and much improved, in my opinion. giants definitely have the edge there, no doubt. but the pats are improved.

one thing you can say about the pats and giants defense's this year is they both created turnovers at a rapid rate. giants with 31 and pats with 34. so they're both opportunistic.

i think it's going to be a great game.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Juggler they also didn't have Nicks for that game. As Eagle and Cowboy fans we both know the GMen weakness is their secondary. However, who do the Pats have that is going to cause a problem on the outside? Now Bellytits could just do something crazy, but he hasn't really coached a good NFL playoff game in quite some time.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    RW81233 wrote:
    This Super Bowl is going to be the first I don't watch a minute of. I hate these two teams in the first place, and they've already played before...booring.

It was one of the greatest SB games ever, and now they get to play for dominance or revenge. Boring? I think we're watching 2 different sports...
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    This Super Bowl is going to be the first I don't watch a minute of. I hate these two teams in the first place, and they've already played before...booring.

It was one of the greatest SB games ever, and now they get to play for dominance or revenge. Boring? I think we're watching 2 different sports...

I have to admit that WAS one hell of a football game even though the Patriots came up on the short end of that SB.

Peace

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    RW81233 wrote:
    Juggler they also didn't have Nicks for that game. As Eagle and Cowboy fans we both know the GMen weakness is their secondary. However, who do the Pats have that is going to cause a problem on the outside? Now Bellytits could just do something crazy, but he hasn't really coached a good NFL playoff game in quite some time.

sterling moore! :lol:

i agree that's not a good match up for them. and i'm not saying they will win. i haven't looked at the game yet.

but them having chung and spikes back has helped them the last few weeks. you play who is on your schedule, and they've had a relatively easy one, no doubt. but they've definitely done their job in those games and they are playing better now than before.

i don't believe you won't watch one minute of this game. there are so many intriguing story lines. i can't wait
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Just because a game is close doesn't make it good (See: Yesterday's games). Have You guys seriously gone back and watched that Super Bowl? Eli threw a ball straight up in the air that Amani Toomer literally had to shove a guy off of him to save a pick, should have been picked twice on the last drive alone (Samuel and Merriweather), and lucksacked a helmet catch...in other words, save for two passes to Boss and the Burris play Eli was HORRIBLE. Brady got abused by the Giants defense and still almost beat them with a 75 yard missile to Moss. That game was ugly, close, exciting, but not greatest ever. Bill-GMen had much more going for it, as with a handful more.

Secondly that game at least had some intrigue do the Pats go 19-0? I'm pretty sure if the Pats win no one is going to retroactively award them 19-0, and the team are pretty different from 4 years ago so the revenge thing may matter for some I guess (only Brady and Eli remain from those I named above) - but it's kinda forced. The real reason I don't want to watch is that I really don't like anyone on either team. I despise what Eli represents, and who Brady is. I despise that Robert Kraft gets love for the loss of his wife even though he's a glorified crook (to be honest I despise all owners). I despise the two fan bases. At least in '08 there was something to despise just a little more (Pats undefeated), now it's just kinda blah. A franchise I don't like at all is going to win, what do I care?
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:

sterling moore! :lol:

i agree that's not a good match up for them. and i'm not saying they will win. i haven't looked at the game yet.

but them having chung and spikes back has helped them the last few weeks. you play who is on your schedule, and they've had a relatively easy one, no doubt. but they've definitely done their job in those games and they are playing better now than before.

i don't believe you won't watch one minute of this game. there are so many intriguing story lines. i can't wait
    When I was in the D.R. I missed the entire National Championship game and it was actually kind of nice. I didn't get worked up about things I shouldn't, and ended up just having a cool night chilling with students on the roof of our hotel. I'll still bet though don't worry about that.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    RW81233 wrote:
    Just because a game is close doesn't make it good (See: Yesterday's games).

Neither of yesterday's games were good?

Ok then.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Just because a game is close doesn't make it good (See: Yesterday's games). Have You guys seriously gone back and watched that Super Bowl? Eli threw a ball straight up in the air that Amani Toomer literally had to shove a guy off of him to save a pick, should have been picked twice on the last drive alone (Samuel and Merriweather), and lucksacked a helmet catch...in other words, save for two passes to Boss and the Burris play Eli was HORRIBLE. Brady got abused by the Giants defense and still almost beat them with a 75 yard missile to Moss. That game was ugly, close, exciting, but not greatest ever. Bill-GMen had much more going for it, as with a handful more.

Secondly that game at least had some intrigue do the Pats go 19-0? I'm pretty sure if the Pats win no one is going to retroactively award them 19-0, and the team are pretty different from 4 years ago so the revenge thing may matter for some I guess (only Brady and Eli remain from those I named above) - but it's kinda forced. The real reason I don't want to watch is that I really don't like anyone on either team. I despise what Eli represents, and who Brady is. I despise that Robert Kraft gets love for the loss of his wife even though he's a glorified crook (to be honest I despise all owners). I despise the two fan bases. At least in '08 there was something to despise just a little more (Pats undefeated), now it's just kinda blah. A franchise I don't like at all is going to win, what do I care?

I'll have a Dos EXXquis on you, RK will down here in the Palm Beaches sometime after the SB. One of my clients are friends with at ther PB Country Club. Maybe they'll be a good hockey game on to counteract this SB.

Peace

• Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Pats 30 NYG 17

Good revenge game for Brady
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    One team gets it's 4 Lombardi...

That's a big deal...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Another Boston/NY classic AGAIN

PEACE

• Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Just because a game is close doesn't make it good (See: Yesterday's games).

Neither of yesterday's games were good?

Ok then.
    What did we see yesterday? The Ravens Defense exposing the Pats Offense making it look like Brady "had a bad game" when in reality if you just do what they did (granted not many can) and force Brady to get all methodical he ends up getting frustrated (see that inane pass with 7 minutes left). There are no exciting downfield threats on the Pats. The Ravens Offense playing superconservative with Joe Flacco and wasting about 3-4 drives in the opening quarter+ by being afraid to hand him the reigns in the AFC Championship Game. The Patriots Defense sucking so hard that Torri Smith should have had two bomb touchdowns only he caught just one and it was underthrown so that only led to a Field Goal. Then nearly, and arguably actually, giving up a length of the field drive to a team whose offense features Lee Evans and Anquan Boldin (w/o Larry Fitzgerald), only to miss a FG at the end of the game.

Then 30 minutes later we are treated to the now almost legendary suckiness of Alex Smith (and I pick on Tebow at least he could have made that 4th quarter interesting), and his offense of Vernon Davis and, uh, Vernon Davis. At no point did it ever cross my mind, even with Eli getting hit 20 times in 63 dropbacks (20!), that the Giants were going to lose that football game. I vaguely remember looking up when the 49ers were winning 14-10 and actually asking a friend if that score was correct. At least the Defenses were good on this one, but really this was the NFC Championship Game?

Go back to the early 90s before the salary cap ruined good football in the name of parity and close games that are only close because no one is too good. Watch a re-run of say the 92/93/94 NFC Title Games between San Francisco and Dallas, or whomever the Bills battled to get in from 90-94. There were HoFers relegated to special teams in those games, and that was great football at its best. Who is/was/might be in the HoF from yesterdays games? Brady, Eli (ish), Lewis, Reed, Gronk (if he doesn't die), Willis, some d-lineman maybe, anyone else?

I guess I just miss the days of a good old fashioned beatdown because one team was just that good, rather than what we have now. I'm prolly in the minority, and a bit pissed b/c I hate both teams, but this SB doesn't excite me in the least.