Had follow up eval 2 weeks ago from DWI but billed for test?

starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
To make a long story short, I had a follow up evaluation from 2 dwi's (spare me the you're a scumbag comments, etc) I had 4 years ago. I haven;t been able to drive since. My probation officer said she would allow me to get my license back at the end of January after another evaluation. I've been out of "treatment" for 2.5 years now... sober... completely...

Now, I go in, do the bullshit blah blah's with the therapist and they call the other day and say "we've decided that we aren't going to recommend any additional treatment at this time". I said "oh, that's good news, have a happy new year".

Now, this obviously means my drug/alcohol screening was negative or they would have thrown me back in. So, today, I get the letter from them confirming that I am set free from these fuck-diculous groups and rooms full of self loathing and pity party people.

It was $200 for the eval - $150 for the eval itself, $25 for the drug screen and $25 for the drug test. They send these to a lab to be difficult assholes. So, what do I get in the mail today?? A fucking BILL FROM THE LABORATORY (ACM LABS IN ROCHESTER, NY) FOR 6 DIFFERENT "LABORATORY TEST" (yes, it only says laboratory test) and each one is $20 each. Now, when these treatment "professionals" tell you your screenings are paid for 25 a piece at the evaluation, you assume you're all set.

Why did I get a bill from the lab? Yes I tried to call... yes I will call again after I stew over it for 3 days until Tuesday. But has ANYONE who either went to treatment or works in the field of addictions ever seem anything like this? Could it mean they did "additional testing" on my piss (not that it matters, have at it, it's cleaner than a store bought bong before first use)?? OR is this, possibly, something that the counseling agency has just not paid yet on my behalf through my payment for the eval + piss tests all inclusive?

I spend Christmas weekend worrying about these fucks sending me back to treatment, and now I'm spending New Year's weekend worrying about this fucking $120 bill that I can't pay.

Thanks for reading if you got through this.

Sincerely pissed and sick of the anvils falling on my head....
adam
xoxoxoxoxo :mrgreen:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Don't know, but this is a good cautionary tale for New Year's Eve.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • ogey38ogey38 Posts: 563
    No judgement here. I have family members who are going thru the same thing. While I don't have any good advice for you, hang in there. And - since it is New Years Eve, please be safe and don't drive.
    Mid-America Center Council Bluffs, IA - Jun 13, 2003
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Lincoln, NE - Oct 9, 2014
    Global Citizen's Festival, NYC - Sept 26, 2015
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Don't know, but this is a good cautionary tale for New Year's Eve.
    Yeah do not drink and drive, I have long stories, but I've accepted the fact that no matter what happened those evenings, I'm the one that got in the car and turned the key. Doesn;t matter that I didn;t even move the car the second time, I just wanted to get warm. lololool. True story! :mrgreen:
    Well, the story doesn't matter. Just avoid the anvils that you feel are falling around you. When you wake up tomrrow you'll have great things in front of you! 2012 is gonna rock! Are you gonna go to any of the shows?
    ogey38 wrote:
    Well, the story doesn't matter. Just avoid the anvils that you feel are falling around you. When you wake up tomrrow you'll have great things in front of you! 2012 is gonna rock! Are you gonna go to any of the shows?

oh how i wish i could afford to travel abroad...
    LOL. Me too! I'm in the US, so won't be attending any of the Euro shows. I'd love to travel with the band! My checkbook would have a heart attack, tho. Best of luck to you! And, be safe, my friend!
    ogey38 wrote:
    LOL. Me too! I'm in the US, so won't be attending any of the Euro shows. I'd love to travel with the band! My checkbook would have a heart attack, tho. Best of luck to you! And, be safe, my friend!

dually noted sir.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't know how this works, and it's hard for anybody to really tell you what you will or won't have to pay, or what should be covered. They often work out treatment, how much you'll pay, etc on a case by case basis. Somebody else might not have to pay a dime for the same thing you're paying for. Nobody here knows whether or not you're going to pay for these tests, or whether your treatment is all included. Probation is different wherever you go. Even in the same state probation conditions and all the various other bullshit can be different from county to county.

I have a friend who is currently on probation, and he doesn't have to pay for a drug test unless he fails it. Often times they'll do the little strip test at the probation office and not send it to a lab. But if they do send it to a lab they just combine a bunch of people's piss together (I guess just using a portion of it) and test it, if it comes up dirty then the lab goes and and individually tests each person who was in the collective sample, and then the person(s) who caused it to come up dirty has to pay for the additional testing, as well as probably getting punished I assume.

I don't have a lot of experience with treatment professionals, but it wouldn't surprise me if you have to pay for that lab and it wasn't all inclusive. It's like going to the hospital. I had to go to the emergency room years ago, and when I got out I got the bill from the hospital. I figured that was it, but then I started getting bills in the mail from the ER doctor, the laboratory, the X-Ray technician, and pretty much anybody in the hospital who even said hello to me.

If you do have to pay the bill, I'm sure they can work something out with you. You probably don't have to fork over the full amount right now.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Did you spend any time in jail? If not, Just pay the money, get your license back and move on, and avoid doing it again. By the way no judgement here...I have family member who went through the same stuff...judge told him next time jail. DWI'S are costly....
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I don't know how this works, and it's hard for anybody to really tell you what you will or won't have to pay, or what should be covered. They often work out treatment, how much you'll pay, etc on a case by case basis. Somebody else might not have to pay a dime for the same thing you're paying for. Nobody here knows whether or not you're going to pay for these tests, or whether your treatment is all included. Probation is different wherever you go. Even in the same state probation conditions and all the various other bullshit can be different from county to county.

I have a friend who is currently on probation, and he doesn't have to pay for a drug test unless he fails it. Often times they'll do the little strip test at the probation office and not send it to a lab. But if they do send it to a lab they just combine a bunch of people's piss together (I guess just using a portion of it) and test it, if it comes up dirty then the lab goes and and individually tests each person who was in the collective sample, and then the person(s) who caused it to come up dirty has to pay for the additional testing, as well as probably getting punished I assume.

I don't have a lot of experience with treatment professionals, but it wouldn't surprise me if you have to pay for that lab and it wasn't all inclusive. It's like going to the hospital. I had to go to the emergency room years ago, and when I got out I got the bill from the hospital. I figured that was it, but then I started getting bills in the mail from the ER doctor, the laboratory, the X-Ray technician, and pretty much anybody in the hospital who even said hello to me.

If you do have to pay the bill, I'm sure they can work something out with you. You probably don't have to fork over the full amount right now.

If you remember we made eye contact when you went to the ER. You still haven't paid my bill. You owe me 48.50 plus 1.5% interest per month. Thank you.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    DS1119 wrote:

If you remember we made eye contact when you went to the ER. You still haven't paid my bill. You owe me 48.50 plus 1.5% interest per month. Thank you.

I refuse to pay, you better turn that shit over to a collection agency.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DS1119 wrote:

I refuse to pay, you better turn that shit over to a collection agency.

Reported. :lol:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Did you spend any time in jail? If not, Just pay the money, get your license back and move on, and avoid doing it again. By the way no judgement here...I have family member who went through the same stuff...judge told him next time jail. DWI'S are costly....

spent the night in jail... in august 2008. idk man, when they tell you the eval is 200 and it includes the screenings, that to me says somebody fucked up. but i will call on tuesday and see what they say. dwi's cost me my job, respect of my family and friends, ruined my financial stability, caused me to have to do something i hate for a paycheck that is about 20% of what i used to make before i got shitcanned, ruined my credit, revoked my driving privilege's for over 3.5 years now... on and on.. inconvenience to others carting my ass around is what's the worst at this point. i don;t even know what it's like to take my son anywhere (he was born 21 months later).... others suffer for sure. when you realize that, and know you did it to yourself AND acually truly BELIEVE that... you've made it. i just need my license and off this fucking probation. another 8-9 months and i should be able to request early release (2.5 years on a 5 year probation term if you're good and have not one single incident which i have not and will not).
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    lukin2006 wrote:

spent the night in jail... in august 2008. idk man, when they tell you the eval is 200 and it includes the screenings, that to me says somebody fucked up. but i will call on tuesday and see what they say. dwi's cost me my job, respect of my family and friends, ruined my financial stability, caused me to have to do something i hate for a paycheck that is about 20% of what i used to make before i got shitcanned, ruined my credit, revoked my driving privilege's for over 3.5 years now... on and on.. inconvenience to others carting my ass around is what's the worst at this point. i don;t even know what it's like to take my son anywhere (he was born 21 months later).... others suffer for sure. when you realize that, and know you did it to yourself AND acually truly BELIEVE that... you've made it. i just need my license and off this fucking probation. another 8-9 months and i should be able to request early release (2.5 years on a 5 year probation term if you're good and have not one single incident which i have not and will not).

Oh I hear ya...my family member went through hell financially as well. I've talked to different people who spent 15000 or more. All my best to you in 2012.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon