How peaceful

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
I'm listening to an owl behind my house doing it's thing. So peaceful. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Owls visit our yard sometimes. Once in a while I'll see one at dusk.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    It's been here for about fourty minutes or so...and it's behind the living room window maybe twenty feet or so from me...I could lay here all night just listening to it. :mrgreen:
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    owls are my favorite bird.. did you know that they move their heads like that because their eyes don't move in their sockets.. fucking awesome creatures
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • I don't think they're very shy of people. They will visit our bird bath in the evening in the summer and we have sat on the porch and watched them. They don't pay any attention to us.

It's really cool to watch them. My husband took these pictures about 5 years ago:

owl-on-bath.jpg

owls-on-bath.jpg
    I don't think they're very shy of people. They will visit our bird bath in the evening in the summer and we have sat on the porch and watched them. They don't pay any attention to us.

It's really cool to watch them. My husband took these pictures about 5 years ago:

owl-on-bath.jpg

owls-on-bath.jpg

Those are some pretty cool pictures!
    owls are my favorite bird.. did you know that they move their heads like that because their eyes don't move in their sockets.. fucking awesome creatures

I've also read they can be mean and dangerous when they need to be so I will not be approaching them...and I say them because it sounds like there's two now. 8-) There is...this is so fucking cool..
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Thanks! We have some color ones, I just can't seem to find them right now.

Back then, he still had a black and white darkroom and developed his own film. Ancient technique! :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

Back then, he still had a black and white darkroom and developed his own film. Ancient technique! :lol:

I like black and white. I actually took a summer course at a local college when I was in 5th or 6th grade and learned how to develop film. I know I know... :ugeek: :ugeek:
  • DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I like black and white. I actually took a summer course at a local college when I was in 5th or 6th grade and learned how to develop film. I know I know... :ugeek: :ugeek:

There is something rather breathtaking about black and white prints.

I can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh yeah, owls are pretty sweet. A close second to my favorite bird, the male common pheasant. Delicious, nutritious, and beautiful.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    Record them and upload the file. ;):) Happy New Year everybody! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    The picture of the three owls on the birdbath is so awesome. That must have been so cool to see.
  • That sounds wonderful, DS!

I always liked owls, but I fell in love when I saw this video :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1PFLuTrgM

Awesome creatures!
  • Leeze wrote:
    That sounds wonderful, DS!

Awesome creatures!

Are those a bunch of owls basically being held captive???
    They are tied down to a fucking tree branch??? Right???
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Leeze wrote:

Awesome creatures!

Are those a bunch of owls basically being held captive???
    They are tied down to a fucking tree branch??? Right???

I know, that's the only bad part about it :( It looks like an exhibition or a meeting of owl fanatics or something like that... But still, there are lots of different types of owls in there that I haven't seen before. Of course they shouldn't be trapped or chained!
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    Leeze wrote:

Beautiful. The new Pearl Jam album cover. :idea: ;):mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i don't think i've ever seen an owl in real life :think:
    Leeze wrote:

Awesome creatures!

I like the owl who is being pet. Looks like he/she is quite enjoying it.
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995

did you know that their ear openings are actually slightly asymmetrical? This asymmetry allows them to pin point the location of their prey...so cool :D

Once I came home from work and just a minute later this huge owl lands on my balcony..it was crazy..me and the cats just stared at...I'm pretty sure the cats were thinking "That's a huge fucking bird!" :lol::lol:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Back then, he still had a black and white darkroom and developed his own film. Ancient technique! :lol:
    Oh...a darkroom. That would be fantastic! There's something really peaceful about developing your own film and being in a darkroom making prints...I love it. And B&W is almost always the way to go, in my opinion (there are a few times when I prefer color, however).
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I don't think they're very shy of people. They will visit our bird bath in the evening in the summer and we have sat on the porch and watched them. They don't pay any attention to us.

owl-on-bath.jpg

owls-on-bath.jpg

great photos.... :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalina wrote:
    great photos.... :D
    Thanks! I really wish I could find the color pics. Some of those were awesome.
    I have a feeling they're on the hard drive of my old computer. :(
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,695
    We get owls once in a while too. They really are soothing to listen too. I wish they came around more often!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    We get owls once in a while too. They really are soothing to listen too. I wish they came around more often!

Last night was so great especially when the second owl showed up. :D
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Leeze wrote:

Awesome creatures!

:? No wonder the one staring looks so pissed off,they are chained to posts and it's not normal for a wild bird to accept so much human contact with all the head stroking skanky chipped nail varnish women was doing.

Not cute
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    I lived by a marsh once,I loved the sounds of the frogs croaking,it used to lull me to sleep so peacefully
    The owls have returned behind my house. I love this shit. 8-)
    I am laying listening to the sound of the tide and a wood pigeon in a tree.Blissful way to wake on a Sunday morning.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,695
    DS1119 wrote:

They really are amazing critters!

I heard mourning doves for the first time in a while here yesterday. I think I would have called them warm doves or comfort doves or something due to how soothing they sound.

The wild turkeys are back also. The old guys look awesome when they poof out their tail feathers and puff up their bodies and gooble something like, "Look out, man, I'm tough shit!" Very cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    brianlux wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

They really are amazing critters!

I heard mourning doves for the first time in a while here yesterday. I think I would have called them warm doves or comfort doves or something due to how soothing they sound.

The wild turkeys are back also. The old guys look awesome when they poof out their tail feathers and puff up their bodies and gooble something like, "Look out, man, I'm tough shit!" Very cool!

Haha I love Turkey's. There are a bunch of them in the woods at my parents house! Big fellas too. I'm talking 25+ pounders! Very cool.

I saw an Owl fly over me a few weeks ago on one of my nature walks here at school. Fantastic creatures!
    It's raining lightly right now AND the owl is doing his thing at the same time. Sensory overload but in the best way. :D