Help with new record player=D

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I got a new record player for Christmas. It played fine yesterday and the cd and radio still sound fine. However, when the arm drops down and the "needle" hits the record the music is faint sounding and there is a static sound. I've tried playing several records, both old and brand new on it and they all sound like this. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

(I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but it is a Crosley brand.)
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    did you remove the needle protector plastic thingy that slides up in there?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Ok, so I'm a little confused on this one and the instructions are vague at best. Up until now I have been using flea market specials that have a needle. I cannot find a needle with this one. There was a red plastic thing on the bottom of the end of the arm. I finally got it off and there is still no traditional needle. I feel really dumb right now, but I cannot get this figured out.
    fade away...

• Ok, so I'm a little confused on this one and the instructions are vague at best. Up until now I have been using flea market specials that have a needle. I cannot find a needle with this one. There was a red plastic thing on the bottom of the end of the arm. I finally got it off and there is still no traditional needle. I feel really dumb right now, but I cannot get this figured out.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure with those crosley brands, the red plastic thing IS the needle.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
    i have a crosley too. he is alive and well. he is not powerful at all but he works and is what i was looking for.
    chompy is his name. see avatar...

the red plastic thingy on the end of the arm is what holds the needle. the plastic cover thingy slides over all that and is used during transporting.

1. call up crosley and order a new needle.
    2. find a friend who knows stuff
    3. go to a repair shop type place (do they still exist?

is your player like mine, a briefcase record player, the first portable players... (ghetto blasters if you will)

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Ok, so I'm a little confused on this one and the instructions are vague at best. Up until now I have been using flea market specials that have a needle. I cannot find a needle with this one. There was a red plastic thing on the bottom of the end of the arm. I finally got it off and there is still no traditional needle. I feel really dumb right now, but I cannot get this figured out.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure with those crosley brands, the red plastic thing IS the needle.
    you are right, it is the needle. they are about 10 bucks each. i ordered an extra w/ mine, do you want it?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    Ok, so I'm a little confused on this one and the instructions are vague at best. Up until now I have been using flea market specials that have a needle. I cannot find a needle with this one. There was a red plastic thing on the bottom of the end of the arm. I finally got it off and there is still no traditional needle. I feel really dumb right now, but I cannot get this figured out.

you are right, it is the needle. they are about 10 bucks each. i ordered an extra w/ mine, do you want it?

Sorry, about my long absence. I have been sick ever since the beginning of last week. Thank you guys so much for your help and I so much appreciate the nice offer for you needle (PJ fans rock!). I finally had my husband just exchange it at the store. I called Crosley and one person said it probably wasn't the needle (after he listened to some Uke songs on it over the phone,lol). I got a call back from the tech department the exact day my husband returned it to the store and they said it sounded like the needle. Anyway, long story short, I got a new record player and have been enjoying it ever since! Thank you for all of your help. :)
    fade away...