Options

Layne Staley

BryanWebBryanWeb Posts: 262
edited December 2011 in The Porch
I miss him. :(

Still remains the best vocalist that I have ever heard.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    Layne staley's voice was forged from pure hellfire...We will never hear anything quite like it again...
  • Options
    I always wanted another Mad Season album. One of the best, most underrated albums ever.

When I saw Cantrell on his second solo tour he had DuVall as the opening act with Comes With the Fall and I thought he was great. Then in Cantrell's set DuVall did the vocals on some Alice songs and it totally blew me away. Then hearing him with Alice and on the new record it was a total letdown. Just no replacing Layne.
  • Options
    tterBtterB Posts: 17
    He has a voice that, like Vedder, is instantly recognizable, and also like Vedder, paved the way for a ton of bands to imitate his voice to achieve their own success, to get signed. Staley has an angst driven, intense, focused voice that somehow melds with subtle beauty and emotion. (if that makes any sense). The lyrics that he sang, whether Cantrell's or his own, marries his voice perfectly.
    His voice worked GREAT with Chris Cornell and Mark Arm's in the song Right Turn from the SAP EP. Just as Vedder mixed great with Cornell's in Hunger Strike, that song also is a great compilation of voices.
    (never heard it??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoHsR4IlUk8 ) I kind of wonder what would have happened he were to have cleaned up. I actually really like DuVall and Black gives way to Blue, and they were great to see live.....but Staley, whether writing the song on his own, with Cantrell, or a Cantrell written song, made " ALICE IN CHAINS "

While we lift our glasses for a number of Holiday/Family reasons, this season, let's (since the topic was brought up) raise 'em up for Layne. :twisted:
  • Options
    Layne Staley's voice gives me instant shivers. There really is no other voice like his.
    I miss him too. The way he carried his voice is one of a kind.
    I always thought it was weird when they got a new vocalist..I still haven't heard new AiC and I think i'm okay never listening to it.
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    Wake Up is the most haunting song I have ever heard.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    While I've always said his vocals are amazing on the records, he was REALLY hit or miss live. Most of the time he sounded dope sick, but sometimes you got a great performance (using Unplugged as an example).

I still say the band needs to open with November Hotel. They've covered Green River, TotD and Ed Solo songs....why not let McCready conjure up some of that November Hotel magic.

BTW I got my PJ20 book and have read the first 100 or so pages, do they mention Mad Season at all in it?
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,090
    BTW I got my PJ20 book and have read the first 100 or so pages, do they mention Mad Season at all in it?

Yes, but only a brief mention.
  • Options

I was actually a little weirded out by the fact that they didn't mention Layne Staley at ALL throughout the movie..You only see him for a very short second in an old footage.
    Actually...All in all, you never really hear too much about Layne..It would be nice for him to get some more recognition.
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
  • Options

I was actually a little weirded out by the fact that they didn't mention Layne Staley at ALL throughout the movie..You only see him for a very short second in an old footage.
    Actually...All in all, you never really hear too much about Layne..It would be nice for him to get some more recognition.

Me too....Its just bizaar because you know Layne had a special place in Everybody's heart (ie 4/20/02)
    I went into the movie thinking there would be a segment on Layne, I was surprised to find the opposite...

Btw next April will be 10 years since the world lost a special talent...often imitated, never duplicated...
  • Options
    MAS wrote:

Me too....Its just bizaar because you know Layne had a special place in Everybody's heart (ie 4/20/02)
    I went into the movie thinking there would be a segment on Layne, I was surprised to find the opposite...

Btw next April will be 10 years since the world lost a special talent...often imitated, never duplicated...

Yes! Exactly! I figured they would at least show Eddie singing 4/20/02...but nothing..10 years already, time flies by fast. It's already been twenty one years since Facelift came out..I was hoping they would do some special release at the twenty year mark (not as intense as PJ, but a little something you know?)..but alas, nothing.
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    I often put in the Unplugged DVD while cleaning, getting ready, or whatever it is I may be doing and think what a loss it still is and how plain fucking astounding Layne was.

When I was walking out of the expo at PJ20, I heard some man scream, "When Layne Staley died, so did Alice in Chains." And while some may disagree (yes, Cantrell is extremely talented), I couldn't help but stop and clap for that man. :)
  • Options
    Wake Up is the most haunting song I have ever heard.

Here here.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Layne you will always be missed

Also been missing Shanon Hoon
    check out waht he had to say about PJ:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPYO_Y0z1DA
  • Options
    BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506
    I always wanted another Mad Season album. One of the best, most underrated albums ever.

This
    9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    gotsome420 wrote:
    R.I.P. Layne you will always be missed

Also been missing Shanon Hoon

I'm always missing Shannon. He was a character. Love watching old footage of him, it makes me SMILE :D
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    i love his voice.

in songs like dirt, his voice is just chilling
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    I miss Alice in Chains a lot. The new AIC is good but truly I wish they would have just called the band something else. I enjoy the music but to me no Layne no AIC.

on an unrelated note, man I would love to hear Pearl Jam do a cover of any Mad Season song. Thats the latest PJ dream after having so many met over the last couple years.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• Options
    on an unrelated note, man I would love to hear Pearl Jam do a cover of any Mad Season song. Thats the latest PJ dream after having so many met over the last couple years.[/quote]

in your opinion which one would Ed do the most justice??? how about River of Deceit?? that would be sick...
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    edited December 2011
    Would love to hear Wake Up, Long Gone Days, or River of Deceipt. But man Wake Up just feels like it could be something!
    Post edited by jordan k on
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• Options
    But man Wake up just feels like it could be something![/quote]

fuck yeah it would...
  • Options
    Miss him alot. :cry: Always gave me a lot of chills when i hear his voice. His and Cantrell's harmony was beautiful R.I.P Layne
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Michael Buble'

Best singer ever! Have you heard him sing Jingle Bells.... :crazy:
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    One of my FAVORITE performance videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jX1KAK ... st_related

LOVE, HATE, LOVE :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 540
    layne is my absolute favorite but i did catch new AIC in boston last year and i really had a good time. couldve been because i was on the gate right up front but there was a lot of energy and the band seemed to be having fun which i enjoyed
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    tigers84tigers84 Greenville, SC Posts: 457
    Tboz51 wrote:
    Michael Buble'

Best singer ever! Have you heard him sing Jingle Bells.... :crazy:

My wife wanted that album so i bought it. I actually like one song he did in the past, so i listened w open ears. Well, it sucked major. I'd rather hear that stupid ass "Be like Jag" song than be exposed to that cd again.

In my opinion, "Above" is the greatest record in the past 20 years. Mike kills it, Layne wAs at his best, and the wax sounds like they are in the building w me!! Pick this up if u can.....u will be doing yourself a favor!!

Viva la layne
    BUGS IN THE WAY, I FEEL ABOUT YOU
  • Options
    Seeing Layne on stage w Mike never gets old...
  • Options
    I had a definite appreciation for Layne when he was alive. I had not heard from Alice In Chains for so long though that I gave up on Alice In Chains and I didn't even know Layne died until 2004. I was overseas at the time. It upset me more than I thought it would. I had a vacancy in my musical life already due to inactivity of Alice In Chains and then when he was gone, I was torn by it.
  • Options
    MAS wrote:
    Layne staley's voice was forged from pure hellfire...We will never hear anything quite like it again...

Jar of Flies is one of my all time favorites
  • Options
    BerasapjBerasapj Posts: 292
    I wasn't aware of the existence of a lot of the 90's bands like Nirvana, PJ, soundgarden or AIC, so I can't really say I miss Layne or Kurt, but what is true is that when I see any footage of them some kind of sorrow invades me, I guess that that is the power of music, no?

Bee girl was about Shannon Hoon?
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life