Options

Talking on the phone and driving....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Plus, you can ignore a two year old.

obviously you don't have kids :lol:

I disagree that I would be any worse with or without a phone stuck to my ear. I'm positive I can out-drive 99% of the population. If there was a test for the individual... like a driving IQ test... I could prove it.

With that sort of a test you could get a license that allows use of the phone while driving.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,708
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Plus, you can ignore a two year old.

obviously you don't have kids :lol:

I disagree that I would be any worse with or without a phone stuck to my ear. I'm positive I can out-drive 99% of the population. If there was a test for the individual... like a driving IQ test... I could prove it.

With that sort of a test you could get a license that allows use of the phone while driving.

It's not really about being a good driver or not, although a cell phone makes a bad driver worse. The amount of brain power focused on driving drops 37% when you're on the phone. Maybe you have a super brain that overcomes this, I don't know. My guess is you've cut people off, pulled out in front of others, and weaved into other lanes without knowing it. I see it frequently and the drivers have absolutely no idea that they're doing it.

To me, what defines a good driver includes focusing on the driving itself.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,562
    I'm actually all for this.

I'm old enough to remember if you needed to make a call, you found a phone booth and dug out a quarter. And guess what? People hardly ever "needed" to make a call. 99% of car cell phone conversations are just people yakking because they can.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Heres a test about civil liberties
    Should a train driver, bus driver or a pilot of the plane YOUR ON have the civil liberty to do whatever the hell he likes texting, talking or generally NOT PAYING ATTENTION whilst transporting you and your loved ones about.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited December 2011
    anyone ever drove a 80,000 - 105,500 pound combination vehicle? how does a professional driver read his own written directions, others' written directions, a atlas or other city maps, write, and use one of three cell phone all at the same time while driving in new territory whilst it is snowy, raining, night time and eatin a burrito and drinkin v-8 juice or water?

approaching 9 billion miles and never had a accident except for when i fell asleep in my camaro after taking my g/f home. i was up all night hammering. the next day i was tired and took at nap @ 50mph on a lost & lonely highway.

warning...never fall out of a moving car at highway speeds.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Should a train driver, bus driver or a pilot of the plane YOUR ON have the civil liberty to do whatever the hell he likes texting, talking or generally NOT PAYING ATTENTION whilst transporting you and your loved ones about.
    pilots and train people do not have to phone or text women. pilots have stewardesses and train operators and bus drivers have female co-workers. why phone or text anyone when they are 3ft away?

just sayin... :twisted:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

Pilots literally sleep...

their employer surely can enact rules and regulations that would stop this kind of behavior...why does the government have to do it?
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I don't do it at all. The few times I have in the past, I can tell that it is a distraction to the point of being noticeable. And texting? fuhgedaboutit.
  • Options
    AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    It's illegal here too even if you use a handsfree. My car is connected to my phone via Bluetooth technology which is really helpful and legal! But sometimes people look at me strange because they think I'm talking to myself! :lol:
    I am mine!
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

approaching 9 billion miles and never had a accident except for when i fell asleep in my camaro after taking my g/f home. i was up all night hammering.

did you used to work at the santa claus and his old lady commune? :shock:

Once upon a time, about, hmmm, five years ago, there was this groovy dude and has name was Santa Claus, y'know? And he used to live over in the projects with his old lady and they had a pretty good thing together because his old lady was really fine and she could cook and all that stuff like that, y'know. Like, she made da best brownies in town, man! Oh, I could remember 'em now, man. I could eat one of 'em, man, wow...

TC: Wow, did you know these people, man?

CM: Oh, yeah, man. They used to live next door to me, y'know...until they got kicked out, man.

TC: Wha? They got kicked out of the projects, man?

CM: Yeah, you know what happened, man? They used ta live with all these midgets, y'know, and da midgets used ta make a lotta noise, y'know, like pounding and hammering and pounding all night, man...

TC: Typical freaks, huh?

CM: Oh, yeah, man, they were really freaks, man. As a matter of fact, they all moved up north together, y'know.

TC: Oh, they had to go get their head together, man?

CM: Yeah, get their head together. And they started a commune, y'know. It was called the...uh..."Santa Claus and his Old Lady Commune"; it was a real famous one up there, man. And they used to sit around and groove all the time, y'know.
    :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ^^^^ :lol: @ imalive

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Helmet laws exist because insurance companies don't like paying for brain injuries and subsequent care. It ain't because big brother is looking out for you. Texting while driving laws are likely born of something similar. $ > "personal liberties".

and what about my personal liberty NOT to sideswiped by some idiot whose total attention isnt on the road and whats around them as it should be? driving isnt a right, its a privilege.. people need to know that...and appreciate it.

I'm not sure you the intent of my post was understood. I don't think it is a good idea to talk/text while driving however I think that if laws are passed banning such things I believe it is not necessarily because big brother gives a shit about you or is trying to take personal liberties from you but because the corporations that fund politicians find these types of laws help their bottom line.

i got it.

tbh the ONLY reason i wear a seatbelt when i do is so some bored police officer doesnt pull me over and fine me for not doing so. anyhoo...

.. coming home xmas day i was driving along and approaching my left turn when the 4WD in the adjacent lane changed lanes so she too could turn left..which is ok. so i moved right into the other left hand turn lane and as we both rounded the corner, she moved over back into my lane. i managed to brake and leant on the horn for a while... and wished the car i was driving hadve been mine cause i wouldntve braked and missed the collision as adroitly as i did... i just wouldve hit her and legally (and morally) it wouldve been her stupid fault. i thought are you fucking kidding me, you change lanes to turn the corner and end up drifting across into the lane you were originally in anyways... she didnt even have the excuse of chatting on her cell phone. i just wish fuckers paid attention.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Oh, how I miss the days when there were no such thing as mobile phones.

Nothing can be that important that one absolutely has to be on the phone, talking or texting, while driving a car. We've done it before, and we can do it again.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

Nothing can be that important that one absolutely has to be on the phone, talking or texting, while driving a car. We've done it before, and we can do it again.
    what about driving huge semi tractor trailers? i am amazed anyone found anything back when they had to use a pay phone at the truck stop. how the fuck does a person find some address in L.A. w/out calling and calling and calling back 15 different times whilst driving in very large circles and touring the warehouse and factory locations of wonderous lost angels? physically cannot be done.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    chadwick wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

what about driving huge semi tractor trailers? i am amazed anyone found anything back when they had to use a pay phone at the truck stop. how the fuck does a person find some address in L.A. w/out calling and calling and calling back 15 different times whilst driving in very large circles and touring the warehouse and factory locations of wonderous lost angels? physically cannot be done.

Yet it was done. Have you not heard of CB radio???
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Yet it was done. Have you not heard of CB radio???
    no shit?

really?

you believe that solves the problem?
    it helps at times but is no major fixer

mobile phones... now that is the ticket for truckers.
    everyone else shouldn't even own a cell :mrgreen:

btw, cb radios have to be adjusted and keyed up on, those are hand movements and eyes on radio. same as a phone.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    no shit?

really?

you believe that solves the problem?
    it helps at times but is no major fixer

mobile phones... now that is the ticket for truckers.
    everyone else shouldn't even own a cell :mrgreen:

btw, cb radios have to be adjusted and keyed up on, those are hand movements and eyes on radio. same as a phone.

the point is chad that pre mobile phone the world managed to function just fine. how many times has someone failed to get back to you(collectively , not personally) cause their phone died, they had no reception or cause they 'ran out of credit'?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    catester, i loved the world before we all had mobile phones. i wish we didn't have them and or only used them during emergencies.

to be honest, droid phones, virgin mobile, ect, ect, and at&t, verizon, ect... should all be fined when ppl use them whilst driving unless you are mickeyrat or chadwick.

81...he's good to go.

tavern owners and operators are fined at times when a shitfaced person stagger-strolls out of their establishment and into a metallic rolling machine whilst he/she passes out and slams into someone or something

let's ask, bucket hat, he owns a bar.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    chadwick wrote:
    catester, i loved the world before we all had mobile phones. i wish we didn't have them and or only used them during emergencies.

to be honest, droid phones, virgin mobile, ect, ect, and at&t, verizon, ect... should all be fined when ppl use them whilst driving unless you are mickeyrat or chadwick.

81...he's good to go.

tavern owners and operators are fined at times when a shitfaced person stagger-strolls out of their establishment and into a metallic rolling machine whilst he/she passes out and slams into someone or something

A woman left our bar and an hour later came barreling down the street and RIGHT OVER a pedestrian. Luckily the injured lady pulled through, and eye witnesses said she came from all the way up the street - meaning she most likely went home to consume more booze before hopping in her car gain. Good thing for receipts and cameras...
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

holy shit! where is said bar? :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

81...he's good to go.

A woman left our bar and an hour later came barreling down the street and RIGHT OVER a pedestrian. Luckily the injured lady pulled through, and eye witnesses said she came from all the way up the street - meaning she most likely went home to consume more booze before hopping in her car gain. Good thing for receipts and cameras...

what are you doing here??? this aint the AET. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

what are you doing here??? this aint the AET. :P

I know, it feels weird....