Options

Take away the lyrics... what's your fave PJ song?

CheeksCheeks Posts: 151
I've been listening to PJ today and trying to focus solely on the music and not Ed's voice or the lyrics (as difficult as that is). What are your favourite songs based just on the music?

So far, I'm leaning towards WMA and Nothing as it seems. But I'm sure that will change as the day progresses.

It's hard to do since all the elements of the band are so beautifully intertwined (part of the PJ magic)... but it's helping get me through this never-ending work day! Is it really only 11am?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,159
    take away the lyrics?/
    then..no question..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30BlueyXoyg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    take away the lyrics?/
    then..no question..

:lol: knew Dimi was coming with this.... :lol:

This is an impossible question to answer.....but......I'm going with Y Led or Release. Can't make up my mind which one.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,159
    YLed2 wrote:
    take away the lyrics?/
    then..no question..

:lol: knew Dimi was coming with this.... :lol:

This is an impossible question to answer.....but......I'm going with Y Led or Release. Can't make up my mind which one.
    :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    88keys88keys Posts: 151
    Alive and Even Flow because Mike's solos are badass.

Others are Comatose, Blood, Habit, Spin The Black Circle, Corduroy, Insignificance, God's Dice, Green Disease, Do the Evolution.... I could go on and on here. To me, Pearl Jam's music is just as intense and emotional as Ed's voice and lyrics.
    Camden 8/28/1998; Jones Beach 8/24/2000; Camden 9/1/2000; Camden 9/2/2000; Albany 4/29/2003; New York 7/8/2003; Vancouver 9/2/2005; Atlantic City 10/1/2005; Albany 5/12/2006; E. Rutherford 6/1/2006; E. Rutherford 6/3/2006; New York 6/24/2008; New York 6/25/2008; New York 5/20/2010
  • Options
    In My Tree, Jack's drumming is amazing :D
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    Of the girl and nothing as it seems
  • Options
    Hard to imagine.... listen to the 11/21/96 sound check in Barcelona, Spain :):):):):)
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    The End, beautiful acoustic guitar.
    Down would be good too. :?:
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    indifference, rearviewmirror, garden, corduroy...

But 20 years are so much... different periods, different feelings,...
    I could say that, depending on the mood, each single day I find something "interesting" in a specific song...
    You know something's left
    And we're all allowed
    To dream of the next time we touch..
  • Options
    Rats
    Garden
    In the Moonlight
    You Are
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Brain of J
    Release
    Do The Evolution
  • Options
    RehabDoll wrote:
    In My Tree, Jack's drumming is amazing :D
    Agree 100%

The groove of No Code is insane.

Next would be just about any song from Yield, starting with In Hiding
  • Options
    Immortality like warm up in imagine in cornice.. Thunderclap .. But like said its quite a difficult question to ask
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free"
    - Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    Just the music?Then it would be Yellow Ledbetter, that guitar there just gives me shivers...amazing...
    but my PJ favourite song is-Indefference...every time he sings -I will light the kandle till it burns up my arm-I have shivers again:)
  • Options
    Sleight of Hand and In Hiding.

Sleight of Hand because of the chorus. McCready comes in with this crazy wah-wah distortion thing that's just incredible. All the while Jeff and Stone (I can only assume it's both of them. Maybe Matt too?) are there with some excellent back-up vocals. It's quite chilling actually.

In Hiding because of the start of the second verse when the piano kicks in. It adds just a bit more punch to already excellent music.
  • Options
    Animal
    You Are
    Brother
    Even Flow
    Yellow Ledbetter

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • Options
    sven82sven82 Posts: 152
    Corduroy, DTE, In My Tree, I Am Mine, Force Of Nature, Sad, SOLAT, Nothingman, Of The Girl, Low Light
    “There's no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the boogeyman or Michael Jackson.” <em>Bart Simpson</em>
    "Never eat more than you can carry" <em>Miss Piggy</em>
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" <em>Stephen Roberts</em>
    "Retired? Fuck off, you're revolting. Look at your suntan, it's leather, it's like LEATHER MAN, your skin. We could make a fucking suitcase out of you. Like a crocodile, fat crocodile, fat bastard. You look like fucking Idi Amin, you know what I mean?" <em>Don Logan</em>
  • Options
    I like "No Way." Its slow and dark and I love the breakdown with the feedback and drum effects.

Two good ones were picked for the soundtrack, "Of the Girl" and "Footsteps."
    Fan of singer songwriters who push musical boundaries?
    You need to hear this new artist!
    Visit www.daveshowmusic.com
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    No lyrics - just music....

Education.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    Of The Girl
    Thumbing My Way
    Red Mosquito
    Rats
    Given To Fly
    Insignificance
    05/19/06 Grand Rapids, MI
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
    09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI
    09/04/11 Alpine Valley, WI
  • Options
    I absolutely love footsteps. Or if you're listening to the PJ20 soundtrack its "Times of Trouble" and you actually do get just the music. Love it
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    Speed Of Sound? I'm listening to it now and think the song ebbs and flows musically and certain instruments take prominence at different times and Matt's drums are perfect.
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    fave song? hum, i would say yellow ledbetter, nothing as it seems, given to fly, just breathe, black, man of the hour and sad :)
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    mikalina wrote:
    No lyrics - just music....Education.

hell yes :)
    also Immortality,
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Parting ways
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    So many years, so many songs but maybe I can narrow it down to: Who You Are, Last Exit, WMA, In My Tree (Love the percussion on these!), and Release. This list can get soooo much longer! ;)
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    #1- faithful
    #2- given to fly
    #3- in my tree
  • Options
    bindy123bindy123 Posts: 210
    have just spent countless hours over the last week on itunes systematically going through every pearl jam album tryng to answer this question....think i can narrow it down to four or five...so in no particular order

Garden
    Release
    Given to Fly
    Wash
    Into the Wilds Hard Sun...
    "God created surfing and Pearl Jam so that the truely gifted, talented and most intelligent people wouldnt rule the world"...adapted from my bumper sticker
  • Options
    Nothing as it seems for me too - Mike's guitar solo is cathartic.