Would you name your kid.....

Comments

• M'K'N'Z'Y
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    The dumbest guy I knew in college was named Hud, which wasn't funny at all, until we realized what that spelled backwards was. I am not kidding this guy was in school to play football only, and he was STU-PID.
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I have worked in child care all my career some of the best (worst) names I have come across

Velvet
    Harley (second name was Davidson,no joke :roll: )
    Winter
    Spring
    Summer
    Autumn
    Alder
    Rowan
    Wynde (pronounced wind)
    Romulus
    Kohl
    Lily Lou
    Daisy Honeybee (yes really)
    Marley
    Star
    Sunshine
    Sky
    River
    to name but a few
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Lemon Jello.
    Lemon Jello Son.......
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • stargirl69 wrote:
    I have worked in child care all my career some of the best (worst) names I have come across

Velvet
    Winter
    Spring
    Summer
    Autumn
    Alder
    Rowan
    Wynde (pronounced wind)
    Romulus
    Kohl
    Lily Lou
    Marley
    Star
    Sunshine
    Sky
    River
    to name but a few

I have a Summer Raine in my class right now.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Back in the 70's my parents were in Big Sur and were looking at a house for sale...the couple were very nice and the wife wanted to introduce their daughter so she called for her

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs come here please"

Best part? Their last name was White

Not kidding
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I have a friend named Pinetree.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    My nephew has a friend called Astro :?
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I work with a Lovely Joy (surname omitted). Not nearly as fun as some of the ones posted, but still worth a mention.
  • I also knew of a couple whose daughter's first and middle names were April May.

I know you're waiting for the punch line, that her sister was named June July, but they hadn't gotten around to another child at that point.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jason P wrote:
    What ever I name my kid, I'm not going to curse it by giving a normal name my own unique spelling. I feel sorry for people that have to spend their entire lives correcting people on how their name is spelled because their parents were trying to by unique.

If you want your kids name to be unique, name it D'Brickashaw.

doesnt only happen with normal name whacky spelling. my name is catherine and still i have to pre empt by saying , thats catherine with a 'c'. cause without fail people automatically, for some reason, spell it wih a 'k'. they dont even ask is that with a 'c' or a 'k' ?

the zoemonster went to school with a boy called slash.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    famous footballers over here called Gary and Phil Neville... you've guessed it... their dad is genuinely called Neville Neville!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    famous footballers over here called Gary and Phil Neville... you've guessed it... their dad is genuinely called Neville Neville!

i dont understand the thinking here. cant think of a name for your baby????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    my kids had a neighbor friend named Adonnis
    quite a name to live up to I would imagine!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    my kids had a neighbor friend named Adonnis
    quite a name to live up to I would imagine!!

... and my ex mum in law tut tutted when i was gonna call my youngest willow or piper. she said you cant name the child after things. by the time she was born i didnt care what she was called so her father named her zoe. and now the ex MIL has a great grand daughter called piper. stubborness runs deep in my family. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I have a buddy named Blue Jay and his brother's name is Robin.

His parents, apparently, were avid bird watchers.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Had to deal with a customer once...first name was 'Race'...last name 'Carr'

really...for reals
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • when the Original Jets were in Winnipeg, I always thought "wow, how are Tagglie and Eddie always together on the ice". "and Taglianedi take the puck down the ice". I thought it was siamese twin hockey players.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dunkman wrote:

I knew a Thomas Thomas and a William Williams
  • a guy that worked at my work a while back was named Ashley Hole.

And that is NOT a joke.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    stargirl69 wrote:

Velvet
    Winter
    Spring
    Summer
    Autumn
    Alder
    Rowan
    Wynde (pronounced wind)
    Romulus
    Kohl
    Lily Lou
    Marley
    Star
    Sunshine
    Sky
    River
    to name but a few

I am also in the school system - its amazing what some parents will name their kids.

none of the names above surprise me at all - I've come across many strange/different names as well. ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    It should be a felony to give your kid a stupid name and you should at least be written a citation for idiotic spelling of a normal name.
    edited December 2011
    DewieCox wrote:
    It should be a felony to give your kid a stupid name and you should at least be written a citation for idiotic spelling of a normal name.

ive often thought(usually when a celebrity or their partner has a child) that there should be a dept of stupid names, where all potential names have to be submitted and vetted for embarassment, ridiculous spelling or just plain stupidity.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    there's a kid in my dad's class called Adonis as well. his family is from Kosovo, so I wonder if it's a "normal" name there.

when we were in LA, we tipped our waitress some extra dollars cause her name was LaTeesha. :D
  • not an odd name, but an atrocious spelling. my niece is Brooke-Lynn. She has to spell it for people 8 times a day.

my sister in law insisted on it. my brother in law stopped arguing. and Brooke-Lynn hates it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    not an odd name, but an atrocious spelling. my niece is Brooke-Lynn. She has to spell it for people 8 times a day.

my sister in law insisted on it. my brother in law stopped arguing. and Brooke-Lynn hates it.

my eldest is named jenny lee. no hyphen.. and thats just one name, no middle name. not sure if she hates it or not.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    :wtf:
    A freind of mine who teaches came across this one recently: La-a

"La-dash-a"

Stop it! Now you're just making fun!

Or... are you serious?!?
    My cousin teaches a girl named La'a and that's pronounced "La-dash-a" as well.

There's also a kid in his school whose name is pronounced "Absidee"....

Without a word of a lie it's spelled...

Abcde

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    goldrush wrote:
    A freind of mine who teaches came across this one recently: La-a

"La-dash-a"

Stop it! Now you're just making fun!

Or... are you serious?!?
    My cousin teaches a girl named La'a and that's pronounced "La-dash-a" as well.

There's also a kid in his school whose name is pronounced "Absidee"....

Without a word of a lie it's spelled...

Abcde

Well, obviously the first parents are dumb as shit. They don't even know what a dash is. It should be pronounced Lapostrophea

The 2nd is just aburd.

I get trying to come up with a name that isn't as common, but is it worth the hassle or ridicule the kids are gonna get their whole life.
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Never heard of the name "Stone" until the one we all know and love came along. :)
    I knew a William Williams

Me too ... the parents couldn't come up with another first name? Unbelievable

DewieCox wrote:

Don't even get me started on the spelling of these names!

There should be a bank of names available to use,names that are not ridiculous,nor weirdly spelt or based on celebrity culture,parents cannot deviate from the names,ones that do are heavily fined for stupidity!