Options

One album

2»

Comments

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    he has definitely heard 85% of the stuff off ten just from radio play. don't give him ten.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    The best one...
    No Code
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    If I picked my favorite I'd say Yield but RVM is the best representation of their early stuff.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    RVM
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    YLed2 wrote:
    Ten or Vs.....

I've always thought No Code is best out of the PJ catalog, or at least my favorite but ya gotta go with the classics for someone who "doesn't know PJ." :shock:

+1
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    edited December 2011
    Why do u think TEN wasn´t the right one ??

We all heard TEN first and become Fans of PJ so why should that didn´t work 20 years later ??

Let me start by saying I LOVE Ten and it is the album that started it all for me. But when I listen to it now it sounds somewhat dated to me. I get more of a reminiscent feeling of my youth and all the good times when I listen to it now more than anything else.

So unless your neighbor is in his/her twenties I would assume they have a more mature musical taste and would appreciate some of PJ's later material, something that captures the true essence of Pearl Jam.

That's why I will always lead with Yield. It's mixes all the elements we love about this band from beginning to end and I absolutely believe it's the best representation of Pearl Jam's sound over any other album.

If your neighbor can't appreciate the greatness of Given To Fly, Do The Evolution or In Hiding, more than likely they'll never understand your fascination with this band.

RM
    Post edited by Red Mosqito on
  • Options
    albert83 wrote:
    I usually give Yield. It's worked twice for me and made a couple of huge fans.

Amen bro!! Glad to hear someone else speaks the truth and converted some folk with this album!

RM
  • Options
    YIELD always always YIELD or live on 2 legs

Man, you picked my other favorite to give folks who want to give PJ a listen, LO2L! When I get those who are fascinated by my passion and question why I continuously travel to see this band over and over again I will always give them this album.

I felt it was unrealistic to think someone who had never really got into Pearl Jam beyond Ten would ever devote 2.5 hrs of their time to listen to a bootleg show. So I've always felt that LO2L really represented the spirit of their live shows.

If I don't get the right reaction from someone whose just listened to this album, more than likely I'll never be inviting them to a PJ show with me, LOL!

RM
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    tallman72 wrote:
    My neighbour wants a pearl album to listen because I'm always goin on about them he is a music person , what would u give him ?

I gave him ten but now I'm thinking that wasn't the right one what would of u given him ?

I'd ease him into them by giving him Rearviewmirror, a live album may be a bit much for him with not being familiar with the band despite how amazing we think PJ are.
    My thoughts exactly RVM, then you have the up side and the down side to mix and match with, when they start to bite on the bait, fill em out with album tracks and other stuff, introduce DVD when they become more familiar...... Then you will have a hooked and fully fledged PJ fan!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    make one up yourself old son you know the person better than any body so you'll know wot they would likely like :D:D
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,965
    guypjfreak wrote:
    make one up yourself old son you know the person better than any body so you'll know wot they would likely like :D:D

+1 :)
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    tvptvp Posts: 15
    Why hasn't anybody said Binaural? That's how I started back in 2000... Then Ten and a bootleg from Wembley Arena (05/29/00). But I got really hooked after I saw them live!
    tallman72 wrote:
    I gave him ten and MTV unplug when u have over 2000 vinyl records I think you a music lover , ok he doesnt have any pj but how many big bands don't you have albums of I can name heaps

Hey, what did your neighbor think?? Did he enjoy it?
  • Options
    Lost Dogs.

j/k, Ten seems the best choice, I mean, it is their biggest hit. Then, I would give him VS.

I actually think LD would be a seriously very good choice after Ten. It is all the songs they didn't put on the albums because they were too radio friendly. So it would be a very good album to give to a non-PJer.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    tallman72 wrote:
    My neighbour wants a pearl album to listen because I'm always goin on about them he is a music person , what would u give him ?

I gave him ten but now I'm thinking that wasn't the right one what would of u given him ?

Not such a bad idea. The one that started it all, how could you go wrong. Everything they did in that era including the tracks that weren't released on Ten are absolutely outstanding songs. That being said, the first album of theirs I ever heard was Yield and it made me a fan forevermore. I dont think you could go wrong with Yield to turn someone into a PJ fan.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Riot Act.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RideRick wrote:
    Always give "Ten" first.

If they love that then they will be true PJ-fans. 8-)

Ten is what I started off with... after LO2L, but only because I kept hearing the LO2L version of Elderly Woman so often on the radio.

Ten has a ton of radio songs that they've probably heard like Alive, Jeremy, and Even Flow. For a noob, you can't go wrong with Ten. If not Ten, then Backspacer since it's the newest.

After Ten/Backspacer, i'd probably go Backspacer or Versus/Vitalogy. Backspacer has the newest stuff on it, and Versus/Vitalogy has more of the "radio" songs on it.

I'd probably put some emphasis on Yield. IMO, that's when the band was really starting to find their groove. Given To Fly, DTE, In Hiding, Low Light, Wishlist, Faithfull, and MFC. They're GREAT songs, but they're not ones recognized by someone who listens to a lot of radio.

After those selections, i'd go Avocado.

I'd END with No Code, Binaural, and Riot Act.

In other words
    Ten or Backspacer
    Other one from those two
    Versus/Vitalogy/Yield ... maybe put Yield in the front of those three.
    Other one from those two
    Avocado
    No Code
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Let me start by saying I LOVE Ten and it is the album that started it all for me. But when I listen to it now it sounds somewhat dated to me. I get more of a reminiscent feeling of my youth and all the good times when I listen to it now more than anything else.

I actually find that out of all the albums I grew up with, Ten is one of the only ones that has stood the test of time and isn't just all about nostalgia. There aren't many albums I can say that about.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014