30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself

StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.marcandangel.com/2011/12/11/30-things-to-stop-doing-to-yourself/

I read this when a friend posted on Facebook this morning and its definitely worth the read....and thought

When you stop chasing the wrong things you give
the right things a chance to catch you.

As Maria Robinson once said, “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” Nothing could be closer to the truth. But before you can begin this process of transformation you have to stop doing the things that have been holding you back.

Stop spending time with the wrong people.
– Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you. If someone wants you in their life, they’ll make room for you. You shouldn’t have to fight for a spot. Never, ever insist yourself to someone who continuously overlooks your worth. And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.
Stop running from your problems. – Face them head on. No, it won’t be easy. There is no person in the world capable of flawlessly handling every punch thrown at them. We aren’t supposed to be able to instantly solve problems. That’s not how we’re made. In fact, we’re made to get upset, sad, hurt, stumble and fall. Because that’s the whole purpose of living – to face problems, learn, adapt, and solve them over the course of time. This is what ultimately molds us into the person we become.
Stop lying to yourself. – You can lie to anyone else in the world, but you can’t lie to yourself. Our lives improve only when we take chances, and the first and most difficult chance we can take is to be honest with ourselves. Read The Road Less Traveled.
Stop putting your own needs on the back burner. – The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too. Yes, help others; but help yourself too. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now.
Stop trying to be someone you’re not. – One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else. Someone will always be prettier, someone will always be smarter, someone will always be younger, but they will never be you. Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.
Stop trying to hold onto the past. – You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading your last one.
Stop being scared to make a mistake. – Doing something and getting it wrong is at least ten times more productive than doing nothing. Every success has a trail of failures behind it, and every failure is leading towards success. You end up regretting the things you did NOT do far more than the things you did.
Stop berating yourself for old mistakes. – We may love the wrong person and cry about the wrong things, but no matter how things go wrong, one thing is for sure, mistakes help us find the person and things that are right for us. We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future. Every single thing that has ever happened in your life is preparing you for a moment that is yet to come.
Stop trying to buy happiness. – Many of the things we desire are expensive. But the truth is, the things that really satisfy us are totally free – love, laughter and working on our passions.
Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness. – If you’re not happy with who you are on the inside, you won’t be happy in a long-term relationship with anyone else either. You have to create stability in your own life first before you can share it with someone else. Read Stumbling on Happiness.
Stop being idle. – Don’t think too much or you’ll create a problem that wasn’t even there in the first place. Evaluate situations and take decisive action. You cannot change what you refuse to confront. Making progress involves risk. Period! You can’t make it to second base with your foot on first.
Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.
Stop getting involved in relationships for the wrong reasons. – Relationships must be chosen wisely. It’s better to be alone than to be in bad company. There’s no need to rush. If something is meant to be, it will happen – in the right time, with the right person, and for the best reason. Fall in love when you’re ready, not when you’re lonely.
Stop rejecting new relationships just because old ones didn’t work. – In life you’ll realize that there is a purpose for everyone you meet. Some will test you, some will use you and some will teach you. But most importantly, some will bring out the best in you.
Stop trying to compete against everyone else. – Don’t worry about what others doing better than you. Concentrate on beating your own records every day. Success is a battle between YOU and YOURSELF only.
Stop being jealous of others. – Jealousy is the art of counting someone else’s blessings instead of your own. Ask yourself this: “What’s something I have that everyone wants?”
Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself. – Life’s curveballs are thrown for a reason – to shift your path in a direction that is meant for you. You may not see or understand everything the moment it happens, and it may be tough. But reflect back on those negative curveballs thrown at you in the past. You’ll often see that eventually they led you to a better place, person, state of mind, or situation. So smile! Let everyone know that today you are a lot stronger than you were yesterday, and you will be.
Stop holding grudges. – Don’t live your life with hate in your heart. You will end up hurting yourself more than the people you hate. Forgiveness is not saying, “What you did to me is okay.” It is saying, “I’m not going to let what you did to me ruin my happiness forever.” Forgiveness is the answer… let go, find peace, liberate yourself! And remember, forgiveness is not just for other people, it’s for you too. If you must, forgive yourself, move on and try to do better next time.
Stop letting others bring you down to their level. – Refuse to lower your standards to accommodate those who refuse to raise theirs.
Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others. – Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it anyway. Just do what you know in your heart is right.
Stop doing the same things over and over without taking a break. – The time to take a deep breath is when you don’t have time for it. If you keep doing what you’re doing, you’ll keep getting what you’re getting. Sometimes you need to distance yourself to see things clearly.
Stop overlooking the beauty of small moments. – Enjoy the little things, because one day you may look back and discover they were the big things. The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
Stop trying to make things perfect. – The real world doesn’t reward perfectionists, it rewards people who get things done. Read Getting Things Done.
Stop following the path of least resistance. – Life is not easy, especially when you plan on achieving something worthwhile. Don’t take the easy way out. Do something extraordinary.
Stop acting like everything is fine if it isn’t. – It’s okay to fall apart for a little while. You don’t always have to pretend to be strong, and there is no need to constantly prove that everything is going well. You shouldn’t be concerned with what other people are thinking either – cry if you need to – it’s healthy to shed your tears. The sooner you do, the sooner you will be able to smile again.
Stop blaming others for your troubles. – The extent to which you can achieve your dreams depends on the extent to which you take responsibility for your life. When you blame others for what you’re going through, you deny responsibility – you give others power over that part of your life.
Stop trying to be everything to everyone. – Doing so is impossible, and trying will only burn you out. But making one person smile CAN change the world. Maybe not the whole world, but their world. So narrow your focus.
Stop worrying so much. – Worry will not strip tomorrow of its burdens, it will strip today of its joy. One way to check if something is worth mulling over is to ask yourself this question: “Will this matter in one year’s time? Three years? Five years?” If not, then it’s not worth worrying about.
Stop focusing on what you don’t want to happen. – Focus on what you do want to happen. Positive thinking is at the forefront of every great success story. If you awake every morning with the thought that something wonderful will happen in your life today, and you pay close attention, you’ll often find that you’re right.
Stop being ungrateful. – No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs. Instead of thinking about what you’re missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.
peace,
jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
"How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oh thank god, they didn't include "stop masturbating."
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Great Article!! Thanks for posting it! :thumbup:
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,160
    Agrees with "he still stands" - since I was masterbating while reading this post.....
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    :thumbup:
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    oh thank god, they didn't include "stop masturbating."

:lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

:lol::lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Better Dan wrote:

:lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    Great thread! Thanks! Please let me add a little something here.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - 13 Phrases For Living

1. I love you not for whom you are, but who I am when I'm by your side.
    2. No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them won't make you cry.
    3. Just because someone doesn't love as you wish, it doesn't mean you're not loved with all his/her being.
    4. A true friend is the one who holds your hand and touches your heart.
    5. The worst way to miss someone is to be seated by his/her side and know you'll never have him/her.
    6. Never stop smiling, not even when you're sad, someone might fall in love with your smile.
    7. You may only be a person in this world, but for someone, you're the world.
    8. Don't spend time with someone who doesn't care spending it with you.
    9. Maybe God wants you to meet many wrong people before you meet the right one, so when this happens, you'll be thankful.
    10. Don't cry because it came to an end. Smile because it happened.
    11. There will always be people who'll hurt you, so you need to continue trusting, just be careful.
    12. Become a better person and be sure to know who you are before meeting someone new and hoping that person knows who you are.
    13. Don't struggle so much, best things happen when not expected.

Send this to people who for different reasons are your friends, no matter if you don't meet them regularly, if you don't call them often..., remember "EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS HAS A REASON BEHIND".
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

• Both great lists, thanks for sharing 'em!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    Great list. When I read ones that give me a twinge inside I know I'm still working on them!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Nice Pap :)
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Pap wrote:

Love the man...
  • Pap wrote:

I am saving this;
    absolutely brilliant.
    Thanx for sharing.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.

AMEN.

Preaching truth!
  • 7RayZ7RayZ Posts: 488
    that is one the best revealing truth...

Reminds me of that corny country song "Find out who your friends are..."
    And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.

AMEN.

Preaching truth!
    7RayZ wrote:

:lol: There has never been a more true idea. It's when the chips are down, you find out.
  • that's awesome! I love the first one just did some cleaning house recently in regards to that.
  • EmBleve wrote:
    And remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.

AMEN.

Preaching truth!
    7RayZ wrote:

:lol: There has never been a more true idea. It's when the chips are down, you find out.
    I certainly found this out in spades this year, that's for damn sure.
    ^^ :thumbup: You are not alone, chiqui. It's eye opening, and bittersweet depending on the perspective.
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    Pap wrote:

I am saving this;
    absolutely brilliant.
    Thanx for sharing.

Cheers.
    I had never heard of this. I looked it up and it brought tears to my eyes.
  • EmBleve wrote:
    ^^ :thumbup: You are not alone, chiqui. It's eye opening, and bittersweet depending on the perspective.
    Very true, I'm trying to stay on the sweet side of it, for those who bailed, I'm so grateful for those who didn't waver. I am blessed to have some ride or die folks in my life!
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    :thumbup:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Awesome Jo! Thanks for sharing! :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Thanks for posting, OP!

Stop spending time with the wrong people. – Not much of an issue.
    Stop running from your problems. – May need a little improvement, but not much of an issue.
    Stop lying to yourself. – Not much of an issue.
    Stop putting your own needs on the back burner. – Not an issue.
    Stop trying to be someone you’re not. – Not much of an issue.
    Stop trying to hold onto the past. – Big issue, needs improvement
    Stop being scared to make a mistake– Big issue, needs improvement
    Stop berating yourself for old mistakes. – Big issue, needs improvement
    Stop trying to buy happiness. –Not much of an issue. Was an issue at one point
    Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness. – Not an issue. I know that others make me feel good when I need it, and when I don’t. So, not overlooking what’s really important.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – May be an issue
    Stop getting involved in relationships for the wrong reasons. – I think I have a good gauge . . . after a while.
    Stop rejecting new relationships just because old ones didn’t work. – Big issue, needs improvement
    Stop trying to compete against everyone else. – Sometimes it’s fun, but it’s not an everyday thing. More to add spice to life.
    Stop being jealous of others. – Not much of an issue. . . . hmmm, am I lying to myself
    Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself. – Big issue, but getting better.
    Stop holding grudges. – Was a big issue, getting better.
    Stop letting others bring you down to their level. – The fuckers! All right, big issue.
    Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others. – Good point.
    Stop doing the same things over and over without taking a break. – Well, if it’s knitting, then that’s what you do. Don’t understand this one too much.
    Stop overlooking the beauty of small moments. – I’m all about the small joyful moments filled with wonder. Not an issue.
    Stop trying to make things perfect. – That would be a waste of time. Not a problem.
    Stop following the path of least resistance. – sometimes I make life too hard. So, maybe not a problem.
    Stop acting like everything is fine if it isn’t. – I used to try to convince myself. Sometimes it takes severe pain to realize the truth. I’m better about it now.
    Stop blaming others for your troubles. – I’m taking more responsibility for my action.
    Stop trying to be everything to everyone. – Not much of a problem. Sometimes I want to defend others.
    Stop worrying so much. – May be an issue.
    Stop focusing on what you don’t want to happen. – Not much of an issue.
    Stop being ungrateful. – Not much of an issue.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    At the OP!!!
    Very Nice!
    Every Psyc Dr. is going to hate that! You took their job!
    I just wish there were not so many things to stop.

I like it

Bump
    Bump
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I love these lists.

Good stuff!
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    STAYSEA wrote:
    At the OP!!!
    Very Nice!
    Every Psyc Dr. is going to hate that! You took their job!
    I just wish there were not so many things to stop.

I like it

Bump
    Bump

honorary degree for me ?? :lol:
    peace,
    jo

• ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Nice thread, Still Here! :mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Bump
    As a Stupiodo Capricorn
    This whole month is sucky and the next one.
    Almost like Ed, I was meant to be a christmas baby.
    In the womb, I held on.
    But Dang.. Still a capricorn
    Silly goats
    Bump
    Bump

Really