Options

11-14-1997.....PJ as an OPENER???

pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
edited November 2008 in The Porch
1997-11-14 Oakland California Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium
Description: Opening for Rolling Stones

Set 1 Hail Hail, Animal, Dissident, Even Flow, Jeremy, Last Exit, Given To Fly, Daughter/(Hey Hey My My), Corduroy, Wishlist, Better Man, State Of Love And Trust, Do The Evolution, Black

Better late than never....oral surgery took more out of me than I had expected.....That said...

After playing Santa Cruz just two nights earlier billed as "The Honking Seals", Pearl Jam will open the first of four nights for the Rolling Stones. There are some cool vids of these shows floating around the web. Worth seeking them out just to hear the exchange between Ed and Mike about Mikes RS fandom!! so....

If you have it.....dig it out...If you dont?? FIND it...SPIN it....ROCK IT!!!
Never, ever, flipping forget
"Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stotstot Posts: 207
    I flew from FL to see the opener! It was awesome!
    '00 Atlanta, Tampa, Seattle, & Seattle
    '03 Nashville & Atlanta
    '04 Tampa
    '08 Roo & Columbia
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Man how i would love a copy of this show!!! I was there that night, crappy drizzly weather but a excellent show...and the Stones weren't half bad either! ;-)

This show was my birthday present to myself as it was probably the most I've ever paid for a ticket to see PJ and they were crappy seats at that!! I can remember being the only one in the rows around me who was there specifically to see PJ and me bragging to these older RS fans that they're in for a real treat just before PJ took the stage...hahaha! Then of course just when RS was about to take the stage one of the older dudes looked at me and said "now is the real treat, son!"...too funny!

RM
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Man how i would love a copy of this show!!! I was there that night, crappy drizzly weather but a excellent show...and the Stones weren't half bad either! ;-)

This show was my birthday present to myself as it was probably the most I've ever paid for a ticket to see PJ and they were crappy seats at that!! I can remember being the only one in the rows around me who was there specifically to see PJ and me bragging to these older RS fans that they're in for a real treat just before PJ took the stage...hahaha! Then of course just when RS was about to take the stage one of the older dudes looked at me and said "now is the real treat, son!"...too funny!

RM

God dam

You've been here since 92.

:( Jealous.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,609
    1997-11-14 Oakland California Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium
    Description: Opening for Rolling Stones

Set 1 Hail Hail, Animal, Dissident, Even Flow, Jeremy, Last Exit, Given To Fly, Daughter/(Hey Hey My My), Corduroy, Wishlist, Better Man, State Of Love And Trust, Do The Evolution, Black

Better late than never....oral surgery took more out of me than I had expected.....That said...

After playing Santa Cruz just two nights earlier billed as "The Honking Seals", Pearl Jam will open the first of four nights for the Rolling Stones. There are some cool vids of these shows floating around the web. Worth seeking them out just to hear the exchange between Ed and Mike about Mikes RS fandom!! so....

If you have it.....dig it out...If you dont?? FIND it...SPIN it....ROCK IT!!!

here are some pics (keep in mind these were taken in '97 by PJ's tour manager as well as the band's publicist, pre-Kerensa days):

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gallery/gal11.html

here's the poster:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/1610
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    Actually, PJ also opened for the Stones on another tour more recently, and opened for Tom Petty (although those were kind of billed as a co-headlining gigs) in '06. Perhaps the most interesting show that PJ opened, was for Cheap Trick in '98. I'm not sure about all the particulars of that one, but I'd be interested to hear about it from anyone who was there.

I believe it was at the Crocodile Cafe in Seattle. If memory serves, Cheap Trick played multiple nights there, and Pearl Jam opened one of those shows for them. I also seem to recall that Cheap Trick released a poster for the show that said "with special guest Pearl Jam". I'm not sure if this is the same show, but there is a 10/10/98 setlist from the Crocodile Cafe on the website.

MFC, Habit, Corduroy, Immortality, Spin The Black Circle, All Those Yesterdays, Leatherman, Leaving Here, Do The Evolution, Soldier Of Love
  • Options
    NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    They opened for U2 in 06 as well
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,018
    such a damn good show!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    My parents were at that show. They are huge Stones fans and didn't even know PJ was opening (though i never heard the end of it from my dad later!) Anyways, i found a random VHS of this show at Rhino Records in Claremont Ca a few years ago. It also has City Square Milan 1992 with "Park where i play the Pope" on it and it ends with a 5 minute live clip of Fire Woman by the cult at the 1988 mtv music awards. RAMDOM!
    OBAMA BABY
  • Options
    i OVERHEARD SOMEONE NEAR ME SAY NOT BAD FOR AN OPENING BAND
    '03 Nashville & Atlanta
    '04 Tampa
    '08 Roo & Columbia
  • Options
    ^^^ha!
    OBAMA BABY
  • Options
    We laughed about that comment for at least a year
    '03 Nashville & Atlanta
    '04 Tampa
    '08 Roo & Columbia
  • Options
    an awful copy of this poster just sold on ebay for like $150...it was drymounted and beat to shit...unreal what people will pay for this stuff....
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...