Plugging effects into an amp?

PearlJamsterPearlJamster Posts: 102
edited December 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a question, I got a Marshall half stack and I noticed I can hook my effects pedals either plugging into the input on the front of the amp, or through the effects loop behind the amp, does anyone know which is the better or proper way to plug it all in through? the effects loop or front input?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Depends on what you prefer, I run everything straight in, however many people like time based effects (delay, chorus, flange, etc...) to go through the loop. I SHOULD run my delay through the loop, but it's just a pain in the ass for me with my wah/ods/vibe going straight through.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • for convenience sake i run it all straight in through the front.

i use a 1974 marshall jmp that has no effects loop so i have to go straight in.

i have a '94 matchless clubman with an effects loop and i have used the loop on occasion. it is a pain in the butt to do that because all of my pedals are on my board and daisy chained on there so it would take mcguyver to wire it all up appropriately...

as the above poster said the time based pedals are supposed to go through the loop, but to me it's rock n roll and we don't have to do things like they say we should lol...

8-)
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ok well thanks for the info, was just wondering since i am new to using effects right now.
  • The biggest question in this regard is where you get your overdrive/distortion. If you use an OD/Dist. pedal, then running your Delay-based FX after those is sufficient. If you use a distortion channel on the amp, then it's probably better to run Delay-based FX in the loop. Generally speaking, you want your delay, reverb, chorus, etc. after drive/distortion. The FX loop is after the preamp, so if you use the preamp for drive/distortion, that's what the loop is there for.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • The biggest question in this regard is where you get your overdrive/distortion. If you use an OD/Dist. pedal, then running your Delay-based FX after those is sufficient. If you use a distortion channel on the amp, then it's probably better to run Delay-based FX in the loop. Generally speaking, you want your delay, reverb, chorus, etc. after drive/distortion. The FX loop is after the preamp, so if you use the preamp for drive/distortion, that's what the loop is there for.

Ok that is interesting to know, I have been playing around and noticed that by plugging my effects pedals through the front of the amp (input) I can use the amp's own overdrive if I want to and bypass the use of the pedals, but when I plug it all into the effects loop I can not access the amp's own overdrive channel. Guess the amps channel only works with your guitar when you are plugged into the front input.

Ok that is interesting to know, I have been playing around and noticed that by plugging my effects pedals through the front of the amp (input) I can use the amp's own overdrive if I want to and bypass the use of the pedals, but when I plug it all into the effects loop I can not access the amp's own overdrive channel. Guess the amps channel only works with your guitar when you are plugged into the front input.
    Something's up with your amp, it shouldn't do that. What amp do you have?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    The biggest question in this regard is where you get your overdrive/distortion. If you use an OD/Dist. pedal, then running your Delay-based FX after those is sufficient. If you use a distortion channel on the amp, then it's probably better to run Delay-based FX in the loop. Generally speaking, you want your delay, reverb, chorus, etc. after drive/distortion. The FX loop is after the preamp, so if you use the preamp for drive/distortion, that's what the loop is there for.

Could it maybe be something with a wet/dry mix knob?
  • for convenience sake i run it all straight in through the front.

i have a '94 matchless clubman with an effects loop and i have used the loop on occasion. it is a pain in the butt to do that because all of my pedals are on my board and daisy chained on there so it would take mcguyver to wire it all up appropriately...

as the above poster said the time based pedals are supposed to go through the loop, but to me it's rock n roll and we don't have to do things like they say we should lol...

8-)
    Exactly.. If I was recording, I'd run delay through the loop, at this point... Meh.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    for convenience sake i run it all straight in through the front.

8-)
    Exactly.. If I was recording, I'd run delay through the loop, at this point... Meh.

I totally agree. And how many pros with widely recognized great tone run their effects into the front end.
    If it's good enough for Gilmour, Page and Hendrix it's good enough for me, I say.

My amp seems to work fine, but I am using the Marshall MG10hfx half stack