I just scratched my Ten remastered vinyl

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
The arm skidded :(
Before it did that the sound was coming out of the speakers very muffled.
I thought it was a cable problem.
Blowing hard on the needle seemed to fix the issue, I believe it was dust.
I hardly ever use my turntable and it has a lid, the last time I used it was when I got my Xmas single a few weeks ago.

Side A has a mark or scratch running down from 3/4 in towards the center.
However the audio quality remains fine to my ear.

What is the best way to maintain your turntable and vinyl?
I've noticed playback has crackling and popping even though the vinyl isn't that dusty.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    Counterbalance issue..... Get a new cartridge.... Some old albums will always have cracks and pops.... Did you listen to vinyl as a kid.... I grew p listening to vinyl.... That is one thing I remember from the moment the needle was dropped.... Styxx Paradise Theater was a favorite album of mine asa kid.... Seems like yesterday, (1981) WTF? When I was rocking out to it... Clean the needle though sounds like it needs it badly....
  • stickman wrote:
    Counterbalance issue..... Get a new cartridge.... Some old albums will always have cracks and pops.... Did you listen to vinyl as a kid.... I grew p listening to vinyl.... That is one thing I remember from the moment the needle was dropped.... Styxx Paradise Theater was a favorite album of mine asa kid.... Seems like yesterday, (1981) WTF? When I was rocking out to it... Clean the needle though sounds like it needs it badly....

It is a new cartridge, had it installed not long ago and I rarely play vinyl.
    Nope, I was a CD and tape kid.
    Vinyl was before my time.

Best way to clean the needle?
    Can a dirty needle do damage to the vinyl (apart from the skidding)?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

No problem.. I have that slip mat and it really helped with static noise..

• pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    jshin wrote:

looking to get that Slip-Mat myself but, Damn they're expensive!...Is it worth it?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    unless i have ear damage my ten remaster's vinyl came w/ a skip already built into it. sure sounds funny but doesn't bug me. i kinda like it. maybe i am hearing shit.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    pjradio wrote:
    jshin wrote:

looking to get that Slip-Mat myself but, Damn they're expensive!...Is it worth it?

Yeah, $50 is a bit silly... I was dead set on getting some sort of upgrade and unfortunately this was the cheapest... It really has helped cut down on the static. For me it has definitely paid off.

• I had delivered to me on Friday...

Stylus cleaner solution with brush
    Anti Static dust removal brush
    Dirt/Grime removal solution and cloth

Ordered it Thursday and it got here the next day, amazing considering the post is busy this time of the year.