health scare

your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I want to start by saying I'm alright ... but I had my priorites shocked into gear last night with a bit of a scare.
Always think of myself as such a healthy person (ok and a chronic smoker but still) am young fit and have a very physical job. But I found myself in an ambulance on the way to hospital last night with partial paralisis and complete numbness down the right side of my body. Suspected stroke!
Just wanted to share this because I feel, alive, and just so great now that the feeling is starting to come back - even though the best answer the doctors can give me is not much. It's amazing what a fright like that can do to put things in perspective and make you appreciate everything
I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Make a follow up appt. with your MD. Ask for diagnostic imaging tests. I hope you have insurance.
    Try to quit smoking and go vegan
  • thanks ... although they're putting it down to exhaustion/stress I think although I do have a MRI appt this week. And my thoughts were more about how it made me appreciate life.

If it is stress related the last thing I'm going to do is quit my good friends the smokes ... and am already strict vegetarian... the vegan thing I just don't get
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • The idea that smoking relieves stress is a myth. When you light up the heart beats faster, the blood vessels constrict, and blood pressure rises. This is not a calming effect.
    When you smoke you are keeping the nicotine withdrawal symptoms at bay. Don't confuse this with relieving stress.
    There are many healthy ways to relieve stress. I have never heard of stress causing numbness on one side of the body. See your doctor
  • are you a doctor? Just curious... maybe smoking doesn't relieve stress but friends of mine have certainly been highly stressed when quitting.
    Have spoken to my sister who is a doctor and she suggests that if it's a stress thing it could just be a very extreme migraine
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I want to start by saying I'm alright ... but I had my priorites shocked into gear last night with a bit of a scare.
    Always think of myself as such a healthy person (ok and a chronic smoker but still) am young fit and have a very physical job. But I found myself in an ambulance on the way to hospital last night with partial paralisis and complete numbness down the right side of my body. Suspected stroke!
    Just wanted to share this because I feel, alive, and just so great now that the feeling is starting to come back - even though the best answer the doctors can give me is not much. It's amazing what a fright like that can do to put things in perspective and make you appreciate everything

We are all certainly glad you are ok! What a scare it was I'm sure for you. Get your rest and enjoy the uopcoming holiday. :thumbup:
  • Thanks!
  • I am a therapist in a psychiatric hospital and a smoking cessation counselor.
    Stopping smoking is difficult no doubt, but carefully linking the medical consequences to the pattern of abuse has its merits. There are methods to make stopping smoking easier. I have a DVD out. I could pm you and send you a free copy if you are interested
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,708
    Glad to hear you're ok. Getting the MRI sounds like a good idea. The procedure is pretty loud but you can wear ear plugs. The sound reminds me of a soundtrack for a good sci fi flick! I hope it turns out well for you.

Quitting smoking sounds like a good idea and, as Mark Twain once said, "It's easy. I've done it a hundred times." But seriously, I used to smoke and quitting actually made me feel less stressed in the long run. Try deep breathing too- that always helps- clears out the deep part of your lungs and is good for your brain.

Enough with the 2 cent advice- just get better! Be well, best wishes. :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    You look way to young to be dropping....

Just quit the smoking...its a bitch but do it....drop a line to black diamond....i'm sure he would have some good words for you
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    You go to the ER with the chest pains....and the first question they ask you is...."Do you smoke?".....I said, "Never have." Too bad...you still had a heart attack. :P ...oh, BTW...you also have diabetes :o

Let me tell you, it was no fun earning this big ole scar running down the middle of my chest....quit while you're young. :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • thanks guys... also for all the advice on the Q word... although sadly I have to inform you that I have no desire to...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    thanks guys... also for all the advice on the Q word... although sadly I have to inform you that I have no desire to...
    Wow....its been....fun...cheerio
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I hope that they're able to determine what the problem is.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • thanks guys... also for all the advice on the Q word... although sadly I have to inform you that I have no desire to...
    I am sure the people that care about you, wish that you had the desire to quit.
    A pack a day habit costs around $3000 a year. Think of all the better ways to spend that cash.
    Smoking is the number one cause of preventable death. The health care costs of smoking a astronomical.
    Dying of emphysema is very stressful. The anxiety associated with breathlessness sheer horror.
    If you can not breathe, nothing else matters.
  • While I don't know your age, I can tell you that strokes have become more common in young women who smoke and take birth control pills. I learned about this after 2 women I knew experienced strokes, one in her 30s and one at 24. The 24 yr old was my husband's sister. She spent a week in the hospital after a series of small strokes and it scared the crap out of her (and the rest of us).

Her doctor told her to quit smoking and find another kind of birth control. The birth control part was easy, the quitting part was hard but she did it. She will turn 50 next year and looks more like 30! (Getting out of a bad marriage helped too. :lol: )

Get that MRI. You need to know what's going on. Good luck!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • A pack a day habit costs around $3000 a year. Think of all the better ways to spend that cash.
    If you quit now and start saving your money, by this time next year you may be able to afford the PJ Billboard print :lol:

Anyway...glad you're ok. Hope you find out exactly what happened soon.
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."