Things you'd do over

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'd join a band when I was 22 that actually had ambition. As a bassist, I was naive enough to think I needed to hitch to the songwriting train of the guitarists, who were massive unmotivated potheads. Hey, I was a pothead, but I was motivated. They wrote better songs than me (or so I thought at the time) But I always thought that I had a lesser role as the rhythm section. I have since learned otherwise, but at 37........

anything you'd do over?
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    id not have listened to my father when he said the public service is a very stable job... whereby i left school.

he was right about the public service being very stable but i still shouldntve dropped out of school to join them. but having said that, i wouldnt be where i am today if i hadntve, so....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I would have listened when my elders told me not to start smoking..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • I would have listened when my elders told me not to start smoking..

+1
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • that being said, I could go for a smoke right now.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    that being said, I could go for a smoke right now.
    2 steps, i mean drags ahead of you..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I would have handled myslef differently.
    DS1119 wrote:
    you would have used your left hand? :lol:
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    DS1119 wrote:

Me too ... I would have stood in the wind and breathed,gone back and worked it out.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    DS1119 wrote:
    you would have used your left hand? :lol:

:roll:

I have heard that makes it feel like someone else is doing it for you ;):lol:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • The years 1997-2009.
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • I would have learned guitar much earlier so I could have put the songs in my head down on tape.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    This is a tough one... and I've thought about it a lot.

I went after a girl who lived soooo far away from me. Actually moved from UT to GA for the relationship. I don't regret doing it because we're still together and I am happy with everything that has come afterwards.

I lost my sister while I was away from home and I wonder had I been her support system that was 15 minutes away like I had been up until I moved, would she have called me to come over instead of going out to party out of anger (which she never returned from)? :think:

One of those things that will always be a "what if?" to me.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    college
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    college
    As in you would do college over by going again...or by not going?
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,708
    I'd have spent everyday I could between the summers of ninth and tenth grades with my friend B.G. His parents broke up that summer and he was so despondent he took his life. Maybe if I'd been there for him more often he'd still be here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux wrote:
    I'd have spent everyday I could between the summers of ninth and tenth grades with my friend B.G. His parents broke up that summer and he was so despondent he took his life. Maybe if I'd been there for him more often he'd still be here.

terrible dude. sorry to hear that. but he would have done it no matter what. you can't blame yourself. I'd imagine his parents do enough of that themselves.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,708
    brianlux wrote:

terrible dude. sorry to hear that. but he would have done it no matter what. you can't blame yourself. I'd imagine his parents do enough of that themselves.
    Thanks for that- you're right. That situation did serve to remind me to be more conscious of those around me and in my life.

As for things I'd change in my life, I think it's kind of like that great Bill Murray movie, Groundhog Day. You'd have to go back over and over to make things change. And so many things just happen and we have no control over them- and if we could, do we know for sure we'd be better off... or just different? Interesting thought experiment thread!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Shrooms
  • Shrooms

:lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,837
    This girl from 94', I could do her over and over and over and over and over and over....... :lol:
  • I would not have studied Marketing in University.
    It's a fucking hard industry to break into and my personality type does not suit the profession.
    I wish I had paid more attention in school and chose music as a subject so I could learn guitar.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    my "first time"
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • my "first time"
    wouldn't do that over for all the money in the world
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    my "first time"
    wouldn't do that over for all the money in the world

Why not? You last two seconds and you're already twice as good
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • bit of a different story for girls... don't want to go back, don't want to remember
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • glad I was never anyone's first. as the wise Costanza once said: "girls remember the first.......I don't want to be remembered....I want to be forgotten."
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • don't think all girls remember that much... remember who and where and that it, it umm wasn;t great but that's about it.... Would you necessarily know if you were someones first?
  • Would you necessarily know if you were someones first?

almost all of the women I slept with were long term girlfriends, so yes, that I knew. Others were girls I didn't necessarily date, but we knew each other, and I knew they weren't virgins.

I had one one-night-stand with a girl I didn't know...........and there's no WAY she was a first timer. :shock:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    I am positive I have never been someone's first.. And I am glad.. I like a girl that has some clue about what to do :D
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    See PJ more! :lol: Never regretted a show I went to and have regretted some I didn't. Other than that, not too much. I've had a great life and enjoyed almost every minute of it. :D
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."