Digital Cameras- Help Please

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Im going on a trip next week and need some suggestions for good digital cameras for around $100. I am not a tech person at all. Actually, i dont think i know how to operate these things. but, any advice would be great. thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Try this. If this helps you owe me a dozen of the Anchor Bars finest! :D

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... r;brandnav
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    If you have a good smartphone, you probably have as good a camera as you're going to get for $100.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    DS1119 wrote:
    Try this. If this helps you owe me a dozen of the Anchor Bars finest! :D

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... r;brandnav

you got it. ill let you know the next time im western, ny.
  • What kind of trip are you taking?

this is a little off from what you're asking (a little under $200 on amazon), and its main function is video, but I recently got a Hero GoPro, and its awesome! if your trip is outdoorsy, this camera is sweet.

www.gopro.com
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    What kind of trip are you taking?

this is a little off from what you're asking (a little under $200 on amazon), and its main function is video, but I recently got a Hero GoPro, and its awesome! if your trip is outdoorsy, this camera is sweet.

http://www.gopro.com

im going to new orleans from the 22nd-27th with my gf who happens to own a crappy camera. she asked me for suggestions. thanks very much,
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I have tried many different brands and will only go with Canon for point-and-shoot cameras (i have Nikon for DSLR).

There is a website run by a guy named Ken Rockwell and he knows his stuff when it comes to cameras. He recommends the following for under $100

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-A800-Digital-Black/dp/B004HW73T8/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1323965168&sr=1-1

The camera is $80. With a case and a memory card, you would be set at $98 (see "frequently bought together on the link). The camera runs on 2 AA batteries, so you don't have to worry about expensive proprietary batteries.

If I was to make a personal recommendation, I would strongly suggest the Canon S95 ... but it runs at $300. Still, it's the best point-and-shoot I've ever owned.

Good luck.
    Jason P wrote:
    I have tried many different brands and will only go with Canon for point-and-shoot cameras (i have Nikon for DSLR).

There is a website run by a guy named Ken Rockwell and he knows his stuff when it comes to cameras. He recommends the following for under $100

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-A800-Digital-Black/dp/B004HW73T8/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1323965168&sr=1-1

The camera is $80. With a case and a memory card, you would be set at $98 (see "frequently bought together on the link). The camera runs on 2 AA batteries, so you don't have to worry about expensive proprietary batteries.

If I was to make a personal recommendation, I would strongly suggest the Canon S95 ... but it runs at $300. Still, it's the best point-and-shoot I've ever owned.

good luck.

great stuff jason, i really appreciate it
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I bought a camera for a trip I took this summer. I wanted one that was small enough for me to carry it around everywhere. After doing a shit-ton of research, I got a Nikon CoolPix S4100 and I've been happy with it.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    Think i'm gonna get a sony cybershot tomorrow. The camera I have now, Cannon Powershot, is about 2 years old. It's ok. Takes decent pics but when i video tape concert footage the sound is all distorted and quality isn't the best. Did some reseach and I think Sony has decent audio as well as video for film and takes good pics. Anyone have any input on the Sony cybershot or cameras that take good concert footage?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Think i'm gonna get a sony cybershot tomorrow. The camera I have now, Cannon Powershot, is about 2 years old. It's ok. Takes decent pics but when i video tape concert footage the sound is all distorted and quality isn't the best. Did some reseach and I think Sony has decent audio as well as video for film and takes good pics. Anyone have any input on the Sony cybershot or cameras that take good concert footage?

I have a cybershot, and LOVE it! I have bought 2 now.

Never took video at a concert, but I get awesome shots. I love that I can take 'low light no flash' pics. I posted pics that I took at Mike's FTM show last year on the porch. Those are from my camera.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    I have a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS. I put it up on craigslist for $40. Is that too much? I had two people respond. One asking for $20, the other $25? I was thinking $30 for the lowest. SHould I change my price to $30 or take the $25 :?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPKo1F6yDbVJ4x7nZPRFZ0a1t1yBcbfZ2JCtsrsBm98xYNUtUY
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA