Options

OUCH - Chicago Review

IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,636
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-pearl18.html

Didn't see it posted - if it was sorry for the dupe.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,791
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-pearl18.html

Didn't see it posted - if it was sorry for the dupe.
    jim derogatis is a piece of human garbage......

years back Ed blew this guy off for an interview.....

ever since this guy has done nothing but write shitty reviews whenever pearl jam performs here.....

fuck him!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    I've always hated that fat piece of garbage Jim Deragotis. He was just probably pissed that he couldn't get any more nachos when the concessions stands closed.

"Pearl Jam simply shouldn't be allowed to play slower than 140 beats per minutes." Are you kidding me?
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    thats it,, i dont want to go to any shows now

given to fly is boring ?? this dude is high on something
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

ever since this guy has done nothing but write shitty reviews whenever pearl jam performs here.....

fuck him!!!!!!!!

lol yeah... :rolleyes:

Well, at least he left his email address open....

Politely tell him how wrong he is. :D

Well, some get it, some don't.... their losses.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    jjmofojjmofo Posts: 47
    Did that fuckhead just call LowLight and Given to Fly boring???? I want his head on a platter!!!!
  • Options
    smartass1235smartass1235 Posts: 136
    jjmofo wrote:
    Did that fuckhead just call LowLight and Given to Fly boring???? I want his head on a platter!!!!

dude i could see lowlight but given to fly and corduroy? that guy knows nothing about music. If you look at the tittle next to his name at the beginning of the article you will see it says "pop music critic" and not "rock music critic". someone tell that fat wad he should go to the jessica simpson concert and write a review about something he has knowledge about
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    Jim - Pearl Jam is NOT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    jadakid wrote:
    ...Um, that Release tune sure is hard-hitting. Makes me wanna stage dive or slam in the mosh pit....

:D:D:D

(10)
  • Options
    dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    As a former music journalist (I now cover cars because guys like Deragotis exist) and while I don't cover PJ cause I'm a fan, my critic's ear can easily say that the band is in top form from anything in the past. I think last time he complained they didn't play enough old stuff. Well they did last night so he couldn't complain about that.

And to be fair the 2003 United Center show was the worst show I can remember.

But he's wrong in so many ways and I like how he copies the Grateful Dead angle from Entertainment weekly. Hard working that Deragotis.

Also the review seats are really horrid at the UC for sound and view.

The BIGGEST fault is that they are as close to their mid 90s power then ever. I honestly think sound wise they werent' this powerful since 94. Cameron is killing on the kit, finally.

And the big problem with Dero is that he's writing for himself and not his readers. When I had to cover Brittney Spears you write from a pop perspective even if you don't like the music personally. He's coming from a biased place and it shows. It's ok Dero. More people will buy the bootleg from Night 1 then your entire catalogue from the crappy "punk" band you're in. And that pisses him off.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Options
    I realise music is subjective, but I get angry when someone calls songs like Corduroy, Low Light and GTF 'plain and boring'.

Idiot. Seriously, what an idiot.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    What a jerk!! :p
    :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    Did anyone email this assclown yet?
  • Options
    edved84edved84 Posts: 59
    I'm emailing him now and telling him to fuck off
  • Options
    gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 140
    Not really sure why I read this review. Jim Derogotis never has anything nice to say about anybody. He just comes across as a bitter music elitist who will only give praise to something if it's cool to like them cuz they fit that whole indie vibe. And he bashes everything else. Maybe he does it because people will read it and get angry and then will continue to read what he has to say cuz it generates conversation and interest in his column, even if nobody agrees with what he has to say.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    Argh, shit like that pisses me off so much. Clearly just talking out of his ass. Low Light boring? I would give parts of my body to hear that song live. Opinions and such, I guess.

<___<
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    jadakid wrote:
    " .... Things started fast and furious on Wednesday, with the group unleashing a flurry of roundhouse blows via the hard-hitting openers "Release," "World Wide Suicide," "Life Wasted," "Severed Hand" and "Comatose," ....

Um, that Release tune sure is hard-hitting. Makes me wanna stage dive or slam in the mosh pit.

I've been in this city for the better part of 40 years and never seen DeRogatis accurately review anything. He is to music what Jay Mariotti is to sports ... both remind me of the South Park episode where everyone craps out their mouth.

And jadakid accurately points out Derogatis's idiocy in referring to Release as part of a "hard-hitting ... flurry".

He's a media blowhard who, like Mariotti, seems as if he just echoes what he reads elsewhere instead of actually knowing a damn thing about music (and in Mariotti's case, sports). And it is true that he rips on Pearl Jam every time they come here. I think he ripped on the '95 Soldier Field show also, which he now "praises" in retrospect.

And in no way do I defend him, but the United Center is about the worst place to evaluate any band. It's a terrible venue, and the '03 show with Ed sick certainly was one of their more lackluster. And although these shows were very strong by the standard of the first half-dozen of the tour, we all know the band gets better as the tour goes on. Having said that, his review is as idiotic as everything else he writes. I often wonder how guys like that keep their job despite churning out writing that a half-aware 12 year old could run circles around.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    I sent a message to this guy:
    Subject: You're terrible

You, Jim, are clearly a narrow-minded idiot. Proof: http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogatis/cst-ftr-pearl18.html

If you want to make a mix tape of YOUR favourite songs and slap that in your tape deck and play the same 6 songs over and over, be my guest. But across two shows in one city, don't expect the band to do the same. I understand you're a critic so this is how you put food on the table, but you're really bad. Your comment about the guitarists being self-indulgent? Reminds me of a bad columnist who would use the word "lugubrious" in his article that's otherwise written at a grade 4 level.

Anyways, it looks as though the band is having fun and the fans are having fun, so why don't you sit back, put on some headphones and listen to the new album. Your only comment about the new songs was that they have a pulse. Listen to them and you'll discover they also have a message, and they deliver it quite well...unlike your sloppy brand of trash journalism.

Oh, and as for the band maintaining their 90s pace, maybe you should grow up and realize this isn't the 90s anymore. They'll play at the pace they want, and if people don't like it, you won't see their shows selling out anymore. The band knows their audience and they play to them. You're a journalist but do you know your audience? Fans, such as myself, will think you're out to lunch. Non-Fans won't really care. MTV-aholics probably don't read your paper. And general rock enthusiasts...well, they KNOW Pearl Jam rocks hard every night, and they understand the slower beat songs, where you apparently don't. So who's left?

Derrick Farwell
    dfarwell@rogers.com
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011

fuck him!!!!!!!!

The stones did the same thing to him in 1994 and ever since then, he trashes every album/show of theirs too, simply for spite, many times without even seeing the show itself. If he writes anything negative about a band...assume the show was fantastic. He is a poor journalist.

I seen him in the mens room at the United Center on Tuesday and thanked him by telling him that "without his reviews, hundreds of birdcages would go without something to catch the bird shit"
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I enjoy Jim's work ... It is seriously pretty funny. I swear he's just doing this because his self-esteem has been eroded by too much hate mail.
  • Options
    VedderologyVedderology Posts: 64
    what a JACKASS
    PROPERTY OF EDDIE VEDDER

http://www.myspace.com/vedderology

I'll ride the wave where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain...Release me...
    Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    just read his article....just backs up my point as he has to put a jab at Mick Jagger in there as well.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    I enjoy Jim's work ... It is seriously pretty funny. I swear he's just doing this because his self-esteem has been eroded by too much hate mail.

he is trying to be the Jay Mariotti of music journalism
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    voodoopug wrote:

I seen him in the mens room at the United Center on Tuesday and thanked him by telling him that "without his reviews, hundreds of birdcages would go without something to catch the bird shit"

ROFL!!!!! Great quote!!
  • Options
    WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    This is what I emailed:

Jim:

I just read your review, a link supplied by someone at Pearl Jam's message board. I'm from Boston and was not at the Chicago show. You are entitled to your opinion but I am appalled.

I've seen the band 8 times in 12 years and will see them at both upcoming Boston shows. Unless they have gone way downhill since the 2004 VFC tour, you are grossly mistaken or plain just should not be a rock critic. I'm a die hard fan but not a fanatic or as rabid as many in the fan base are. I am also usually logical and fair.

Your article appalled me, not because you did not like the show but how you go out of your way to slander and put down the band. You are supposed to be a professional and provide a service to your readers with integrity that should be demanded by your employer on a daily basis.

I know that the band and their music is not for everyone. But one who attends their show to write a review should at least be a rock fan who will give the band a chance to at least change your preconceived mind. If you still do not like the show, at least write a negative review without being so careless. I just don't think you are qualified to be a critic and you really should apologize to scores of fans on the website.

Thanks.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    Realistically, he should have some scathing reviews for other bands like the Chili Peppers and when Alice in Chains come back to town. I could really care less.
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    I e-mailed him this thread...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    I e-mailed him this thread...

Hope he reads this... "You are a moron" Go ahead you can print it too.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    ArabesqueArabesque Posts: 34
    I emailed him this...

Mr. Derogatis,

Some of your reasons for comparing the Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam are just. Both bands have (or had) huge live followings (and many obsessive fans) even while album sales lagged. However, there are huge differences. One difference is that while Grateful Dead had a few mildly interesting tunes, Pearl Jam has never made a bad album. Their album sales lagged because they weren't trying to sell records. Pearl Jam made this obvious by recording Vitalogy (I'm specifically referring to the lyrics in "Not For You" and the fact that there are purposely fillers that are not even really songs on the record juxtaposed with tremendous, powerful music), not making videos, and not promoting albums.

After Vitalogy, Pearl Jam pursued more experimental song-writing and followed their creative drive where ever it would take them regardless of what the reaction would be. Consider No Code, Pearl Jam's eclectic head-phone masterpiece that was as anti-mainstream as the oppositional genre gets. However, after completely cutting off the "MTV crowd" with No Code, Pearl Jam followed it up with the breathetaking (and alternatively radio-ready) Yield, once again, proving that they don't adhere to anyone's expectations.

At this time they started regularly touring again and they began accumulating a massive following. This time period is when the "Jamily," or the Pearl Jam family began to form. Was it because of Ten or Vs.? Nope. It was because Pearl Jam had consistently put out great albums over a span of 8 years and had become a force to be reckoned with live.

After Yield, Pearl Jam went in another experimental direction yet again, with Binaural. Binaural is probably Pearl Jam's worst album. And while it is unfocused and somewhat meandering, it still has many good songs on it. After Binaural put off a lot of fans of Yield, Pearl Jam yet again lost some of their fan base but still, it didn't phase them. They released the low key, relaxed, purposefully tired sounding Riot Act, which is a very underrated album.

Through all of this time, Pearl Jam kept getting BETTER live. Their setlists shifted more, they played longer, they were much more experienced and mature as musicians, etc...And their music is 10x more interesting than the Grateful Dead's ever was! I hate jambands like the Grateful Dead. If you want a better comparison talk about Phish. They were the modern day Grateful Dead. They made mediocre records and had like 20 minute long aimless jams that should've bored people to tears if they weren't so stoned. That is not Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam is emotionally charged and along with R.E.M., Radiohead, Nirvana, and the White Stripes, among the best bands of our time.

Thanks for your time,
    Matthew Parrish

P.S. You may peg me as one of those "crazed" Pearl Jam fans, but to the contrary, I've only seen Pearl Jam once live. I judge their live stuff by their bootlegs mostly.
    "This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.