Shut this Cess Pool Down

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
A University of Vermont fraternity suspended over a survey that asked members who they would like to rape is getting a visit from a representative of the fraternity's national headquarters.

The national Sigma Phi Epsilon organization says in a statement that is has instructed the chapter to cease all operation, pending further investigation. It says that any behavior that demeans women is not tolerated.

The national fraternity representative is in Burlington on Wednesday.

University officials say the survey question was "incredibly offensive and inappropriate." They are investigating where the survey came from, who saw it and how it was used.

Officials say a student reported the survey to the university over the weekend. School officials contacted the national fraternity and police to determine if any crimes have been committed.

:shock:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I think this is just immature kids being kids. I certainly don't support it but some wacky shit goes on in fraternities and sorororites.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    I think this is just immature kids being kids. I certainly don't support it but some wacky shit goes on in fraternities and sorororites.

You're probably right but again I think this highlights the casual feelings towards rape. It is one of the worst crimes you could commit to another human being and too often it just gets swept under the rug. Women are more then just sex objects but our society says otherwise. I think these guys are probably too old to be called 'kids' and should know better really. I'm not one to get offended by jokes or anything like that but there has to be a mark somewhere.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Shut down the whole god damn state of Vermont (after my ski trip there at the end of the year). :x

At this point we have shut down Pennsylvania, the Catholic Church and the state of Vermont.
  • Shut this Cess Pool Down indeed

edit: Vermonster
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    DS1119 wrote:

an 18 year old should know that rape is wrong and not something to joke about...these aren't kids
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Shut down the whole god damn state of Vermont (after my ski trip there at the end of the year). :x

At this point we have shut down Pennsylvania, the Catholic Church and the state of Vermont.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

You're probably right but again I think this highlights the casual feelings towards rape. It is one of the worst crimes you could commit to another human being and too often it just gets swept under the rug. Women are more then just sex objects but our society says otherwise. I think these guys are probably too old to be called 'kids' and should know better really. I'm not one to get offended by jokes or anything like that but there has to be a mark somewhere.

I still feel that anyone in college are still kids. Legally they are adults, but mentally they are still kids. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't know right from wrong, I'm just not so sure they know the tasteful way to conduct themselves yet. This is just my opnion. I take myself. Until I was 25 or 26 and truly out on my own I was still very immature. Hell I still pull office pranks pretty much daily. Also, I don't think society minimizes rape in this country at all or just views woman as sex objects. Just my opinion.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Who would want to be in a frat today anyway? They have tons of self-imposed restrictions.

It's not like the good ol' days when you could hang nerds over balconies, dive down stairways into pools of beer, and spit fireballs. :(
    norm wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

an 18 year old should know that rape is wrong and not something to joke about...these aren't kids

18 is just a number.
    Jason P wrote:
    Who would want to be in a frat today anyway? They have tons of self-imposed restrictions.

It's not like the good ol' days when you could hang nerds over balconies, dive down stairways into pools of beer, and spit fireballs. :(

This would make a good thread!

"Things you have done or witnessed at a fraternity party"

:lol:
  • This reminded me of an article I read a couple days ago. I couldn't find the exact article I read, but this one discusses the same thing.
    http://www.care2.com/causes/whats-the-difference-between-a-mens-magazine-and-a-rapist.html

Maybe this University of Vermont fraternity is encouraging its members to be men's magazine journalists? :)
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • DS1119 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

18 is just a number.

18 is just a number, you're absolutely correct; however, so is 14. At fourteen I knew what rape was, that it was wrong and nothing to joke about... a college 'kid' has 4 years more experience on that and yet because they're at college it's excusable?

As you have said, rape is not a funny subject. A survey asking who people would rape is downright disturbing. A survey asking who people would murder wouldn't be swept away with "it's just kids being kids" so why is this?

Something needs to be done legally to set an example to other frats who think the subject of rape is something to laugh about.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    18 is just a number, you're absolutely correct; however, so is 14. At fourteen I knew what rape was, that it was wrong and nothing to joke about... a college 'kid' has 4 years more experience on that and yet because they're at college it's excusable?

As you have said, rape is not a funny subject. A survey asking who people would rape is downright disturbing. A survey asking who people would murder wouldn't be swept away with "it's just kids being kids" so why is this?

Something needs to be done legally to set an example to other frats who think the subject of rape is something to laugh about.

I knew I shouldn't have gotten involved with this thread but I already jumped in so. Yes, we should definately ruin these kids lives for filling out a survey in a joking manner...that will definately stop fraternities and sororities from doing off color things in the future. These kids will be taught such a lesson. There's a point in society where people need to stop being so sensitive seriously. Have you read the survey? Do you even know what else is on it? Do you even know the tone of the survey? People mention rape is no joking matter, and in real offenses and real cases it most certainly is not. But I'm sure the tone of the survey was more "who would you want to bang" instead of who would you want to rape. I'm sure it was a severe error on their part.

Let me ask you this. Have you ever told or heard an OJ SImpson joke? Come on everyone has. Maybe we have should all be penalized in some manner...I mean that case involved spousal abuse and eventual murder. We should be taught a lesson right?
    maybe it was a trick question and they were looking for recruits to answer....none :?:

that's the angle i would take if i was the frat.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Is being in a fraternity even worth anything? Besides being able to look back years later with other members and say: "Yeah, we did some dumb fucking shit all in the name of our club, we're awesome."
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Is being in a fraternity even worth anything? Besides being able to look back years later with other members and say: "Yeah, we did some dumb fucking shit all in the name of our club, we're awesome."

Alot more than you could imagine. You sit down for a job interview with a fraternity brother (remember these are national fraternities), unless you're a total idiot...you're getting the job.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    cesspool and sabotage have become my two favorite words
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,926
    cesspool and sabotage have become my two favorite words
    I was gonna say , I thought this was about a certain ticketing system. :?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 81 wrote:
    maybe it was a trick question and they were looking for recruits to answer....none :?:

that's the angle i would take if i was the frat.
    oooooh I like that 8-)

Here's hoping the majority of them answered it in the sense of "who would you want to sleep with," but then they should have said that, or used some term that implies consensual sex. *Rape* shouldn't be thrown around casually like that. Especially not when this age group is highest at risk for sexual assault and so many college students don't even understand the legal definition of rape or the long term impact on victims. Attitudes shape behavior, so this is a good chance to adjust their attitudes. I don't think their lives should be "ruined" and I'm sure they won't be, but hell yeah their chapter should be suspended. Chapters get suspended for less than that all the damn time. It's a good opportunity to raise some awareness.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    DS1119 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Alot more than you could imagine. You sit down for a job interview with a fraternity brother (remember these are national fraternities), unless you're a total idiot...you're getting the job.

So, it's unfortunate for the people that can't afford to go to a school that will allow them to potentially get into a particular fraternity because even if they're far more qualified than the frat applicant(s), they won't get the job because the unqualified person was part of a glorified club?

That definitely sounds like "equal opportunity."
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

So, it's unfortunate for the people that can't afford to go to a school that will allow them to potentially get into a particular fraternity because even if they're far more qualified than the frat applicant(s), they won't get the job because the unqualified person was part of a glorified club?

That sounds totally "equal opportunity."

it's the old saying..it's not what you know, it's who you know...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

That sounds totally "equal opportunity."

It does suck but that's the way it goes. A lot of the business world is based on contacts and who you know.
    DS1119 wrote:
    It does suck but that's the way it goes. A lot of the business world is based on contacts and who you know.

So the college experience is more about kissing a bunch of fat corporate ass as opposed to actually educating yourself.

Fuck that.

I wonder if a frat boy got that radio job over me? :twisted:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

So the college experience is more about kissing a bunch of fat corporate ass as opposed to actually educating yourself.

Fuck that.

no, the frat life is about hanging with your new buddies, drinking beer and rapeing women. :o :?

but it does provide a built in network once you reach the real world.

also remember, you are in a big network here.....i have card carrying 10c member at the bottom of my resume
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Fuck that.

look up who was in the 'Skull and Bones' frat. I cannot find the article for the life of me...but it explained a LOT about why congress members get away with what they do...frat boys will cover for other frat boys...no matter what they do.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Fuck that.

look up who was in the 'Skull and Bones' frat. I cannot find the article for the life of me...but it explained a LOT about why congress members get away with what they do...frat boys will cover for other frat boys...no matter what they do.

Amongst many other things, this frat information is filling in a few more blanks as to how in the fuck W got elected.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL