Options

Lisbon, Portugal - September 4th, 2006

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited May 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
With the amazing shows in 2007 just gone, i'd forgotten just how brilliant the 2006 Euro tour was. The Astoria was my first show but Lisbon was my first proper tour show.

I don't think night 1 gets enough credit because most people remember the great setlist from night 2. I just re-read the fanviews from night 1 and it seems some people were initially a bit disappointed while others were blown away, and some thought it was great but not as great as past shows in Portugal.

So i just wanted to raise my can of Cherry Coke (no alcohol nearby) and make a toast to the first night in Lisbon! It was a scorching hot day, and sitting in the tenclub line under the baking sun wasn't brilliant but we got talking to a lovely couple from Chicago so they told us about what it was like at the two Chicago shows from '06.

We got in the arena and managed to get front row on Mike's side but a bit further over. We had a fantastic view though, and Mike kept coming over and showing off as he so often does! :)

I think although the setlist looks fairly standard, the band absolutely played out of their skins and the setlist staples sounded better than they had in years. Animal, Corduroy, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Do The Evolution, Small Town, Jeremy, Black, Alive etc all sounded super powerful! I'm hard pressed to find better recent live versions of those songs.

The clowd clapping from the very beginning of Wishlist is beautiful, as is the call and response during the tag. Stone's solo in DTE is just frantic and gets my heart racing every frickin' time! And just listen to the crowd at the end of 'Black' singing 'We Belong Together' so frickin' loud that i get goosebumps. I think that's the loudest 'we belong together' i've ever heard!

I ramble on, but basically i just wanna appreciate how good that first night was. And it was only the beginning of a magical journey that would continue into 2007 and end on a beautiful summer's night in Nijmegen.
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I must've been the only person at this show then :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    Hell no, I was stood right by ur side!

It was an awesome night, and we had a kick ass time in Portugal those few days, it was amazing. We met 2 FANTASTIC people who shared the tour with us, we waited in THE hottest line ever! Then getting front row on Mike's side was amazing for our first gig!

I got Mike's pick and he even laughed at me cause all through Betterman I couldn't stop smiling!

I couldn't believe the crowd was so intense, there was no shoving, no madness, just pure love for their music, that's what a concerts all about, and it's a night I won't ever forget.
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    HELL YEAH!

I loved Portugal (had so great a time I swore I'd be back ANY time PJ plays there.. luckily didn't have to wait long and had another awesome time there this year), and although the setlist might have been better the second night on paper, I'm amongst those (and I know a few) that think night 1 was better:
    better crowd, better atmosphere, better energy...I listened to the boot couple few days ago, and man, the crowd was awesome, on par with Milan I'd even say (and far more friendly if you were in the pit :rolleyes: ).

sure Milan, Prague, Dublin were really cool too..but on a subjective pov, to me, Lisbon 1, Reading and Zagreb are the true highlights of 2006 (Astoria too obviously, but not part of the 'Tour')..best time I had at the shows!
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    HELL YEAH!

I loved Portugal (had so great a time I swore I'd be back ANY time PJ plays there.. luckily didn't have to wait long and had another awesome time there this year), and although the setlist might have been better the second night on paper, I'm amongst those (and I know a few) that think night 1 was better:
    better crowd, better atmosphere, better energy...I listened to the boot couple few days ago, and man, the crowd was awesome, on par with Milan I'd even say (and far more friendly if you were in the pit :rolleyes: ).

sure Milan, Prague, Dublin were really cool too..but on a subjective pov, to me, Lisbon 1, Reading and Zagreb are the true highlights of 2006 (Astoria too obviously, but not part of the 'Tour')..best time I had at the shows!

You got it right! The crowd was much friendlier than other shows we went to. Both nights, there was minimal pushing or shoving, everyone had space to rock out and go nuts! Pure, safe energy all night long.

• Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    You know my opinion on this show :)

Much respect and love for Lisbon night 1.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    KlavdioKlavdio Posts: 7
    Well .. 2 years afterwards .. i still remember watching the whole show alone with my backpack on my shoulders and i wouldnt trade it for any other day.

And yes .. i know the topic has been " buried " for a long time but i needed to share.