Best tv shows on Premium channels?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
While one could certainly make a case that AMC is creating shows that are some of the best in history with breaking Bad and Mad Men, and although i havent seen it yet, Walking Dead certainly has gotten widespread acclaim. That said, the premium channels like Showtime, Cinemax, and HBO are known for creating amazing tv shows (the wire, the sopranos, six feet under etc...). Does showtime and or HBO have any really good shows on right now, currently airing that rival any of the above listed shows? How is Dexter? broadway empire? In treatment? Treme? In terms of the premium channels, what are the essential shows to be watching right now?

Additionally, i need to catch up on alot of tv shows. I want to see the first season of Broadway Empire, see the first seasons of True Blood, basically catch up on all the seasons of all the major HBO shows of the last few years. I have a netflix account, but i can really only afford the 8 dollar instant streaming one. And few HBo show are streaming. I know their is HBO go, but i dont own HBO or a tv. Is their another non netflix way to watch tv shows, showtime, and HBO shows, streaming?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Dexter and Homeland. Both on Showtime.
  • how do i check those out beyond buying the DVD's? I know Dexter is well into its 6th season. How do i catch up? Where can I watch season one and not have to spend a ton of money either buying the full box set of DVDs or spending chunck of cash on netflix which as i said is a pain because i'm impatient. i want to watch it one after another after another. i dont have the cash at the moment to up my netflix account so that i can have multiple dvds out at the same time, and dont have the patience to watch one single DVD at a time. I know Homeland just started right?

Where can i watch these streaming, in legal places i guess? Another place other than netflix or HBO GO
    how do i check those out beyond buying the DVD's? I know Dexter is well into its 6th season. How do i catch up? Where can I watch season one and not have to spend a ton of money either buying the full box set of DVDs or spending chunck of cash on netflix which as i said is a pain because i'm impatient. i want to watch it one after another after another. i dont have the cash at the moment to up my netflix account so that i can have multiple dvds out at the same time, and dont have the patience to watch one single DVD at a time. I know Homeland just started right?

Where can i watch these streaming, in legal places i guess? Another place other than netflix or HBO GO

I believe Dexter is on Netflix streaming. Also Homeland is in the first season.
    DS1119 wrote:
    how do i check those out beyond buying the DVD's? I know Dexter is well into its 6th season. How do i catch up? Where can I watch season one and not have to spend a ton of money either buying the full box set of DVDs or spending chunck of cash on netflix which as i said is a pain because i'm impatient. i want to watch it one after another after another. i dont have the cash at the moment to up my netflix account so that i can have multiple dvds out at the same time, and dont have the patience to watch one single DVD at a time. I know Homeland just started right?

I believe Dexter is on Netflix streaming. Also Homeland is in the first season.

Just checked and it's not sorry.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    Weeds is a trip....
    Life & Times of Tim is pretty damned funny...
    Love Bored to Death
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Dexter and Homeland. Both on Showtime.

+1

Boardwalk Empire is great as well
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    It's a shame Netflix removed dexter from instant stream (idiots).

I'm midway through season 4 DVDs and it's great. I havent watched it in months but I'm starting it again this week.

Boardwalk Empire is great.

Curb your emthusiam and eastbound and down are also good.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    In order of best to worst of current shows (for me):

1. Dexter
    2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    3. Eastbound and Down
    4. Shameless
    5. Boardwalk Empire
    6. True Blood
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Hard to top the brilliance of The Wire, but I think the below shows are very good:

Game of Thrones!! I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet...just finished watching the first season and it's awesome!!

Also check out Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Curb your Enthusiasm (comedy), True Blood, and Dexter

True Blood is good and entertaining in a campy way...really enjoy it. Game of Thrones, Homeland and Boardwalk are just excellent dramas...definitely the best shows on TV, IMO.

To be honest, I think Dexter has really gone down hill from its amazing first few seasons. It's still worth watching, but I think it's gotten kind of ridiculous. I see others on this thread may disagree though.

Did you ever watch The Shield, which aired on FX? If you liked The Wire you might like it as well...it's VERY good and definitely worth checking out.

In my opinion, Homeland, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk are the only ones that would come close to the wire, but the others are also good.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City