European Travel

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I just booked a flight to Amsterdam. Planning on hitting up the Netherlands show, then Belgium, then France in June/July. I've never traveled out of the US. Anyone want to give me some advice? I see you can purchase a 3-country rail pass which I'm guessing is the best way to get around over there when traveling between shows. Now I just need to find out how to get home! I'm crazy...totally cannot afford this but you only live once, right?
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• saidsaid Posts: 3
    bienvenu en Europe mon pote et on se reverra a arrass
    casablanca/ orleans
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    So, I just booked a flight to Amsterdam. Planning on hitting up the Netherlands show, then Belgium, then France in June/July. I've never traveled out of the US. Anyone want to give me some advice? I see you can purchase a 3-country rail pass which I'm guessing is the best way to get around over there when traveling between shows. Now I just need to find out how to get home! I'm crazy...totally cannot afford this but you only live once, right?

I spent a month in England and Ireland when I was in college and here's some advice. Don't spend all of your money on late nights at pubs and sleeping until 4 or 5 the next day while running so short on money you can no longer afford to visit Paris while you were there. Also, take pictures. I came home with exactly one and it was Big Ben. I could have gotten a postcard for that one. :lol:

Oh and reading your posts here I realize you are a nice person, but this is for some other Amercians who may be reading this. Be nice and be respectful. You are guests in their country. Represent us well. :thumbup:
  • ^ In that vein, please remember that SPEAKING ENGLISH LOUDER...AND...SLOWER... WILL NOT HELP ANYONE WHO DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH TO UNDERSTAND YOU.

It only makes any American who does it look like a total moron with a rude streak. :lol:

That said, most people in Europe speak enough English to give you directions, etc. Just be polite and people generally are very nice and helpful in most countries I've been to.
  • enjoy to have fun with the coolest pj fans,,,my favo Dutch people :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Hub. wrote:
    Don't drink tap water

Finnish tap water is actually delicious. :mrgreen:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2011
    Stay safe.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    eMMI wrote:
    Hub. wrote:
    Don't drink tap water

Ours is OK (it depends on the area), but it was more a joke about preconceived ideas some Americans have about Europe and France especially. :mrgreen:
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Hub. wrote:
    eMMI wrote:
    Hub. wrote:
    Don't drink tap water

Ours is OK (it depends on the area), but it was more a joke about preconceived ideas some Americans have about Europe and France especially. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I figured you were joking. About the injections anyway. :lol:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    You should watch the movies In Bruges and Before Sunset, to cover some ground for Belgium (Bruges) and France (Paris).

In Bruges is really funny, typifies how the locals see the brash American (and to a lesser extent, Aussie) travellers. Shows you the prettiness of Bruges.

Before Sunset is 50% constant dialogue between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, 50% travelogue with Paris as the star. On one of the trips I made there it was purely based on going to all the places they went - all the nice spots of Paris the guidebooks won't point out to.

Do try to learn a few words of the local lingo. Well, moreso French than Dutch. Dutch pronunciation is bloody hard.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • thanks everyone...so I've heard from a few friends that youth hostels in Europe have an age limit of 25 and under...that true?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Being half Danish/Scottish and half French Indian and Polish, I have always wanted to go see Canada, Scotland and Denmark.. so when I saw the show for Copenhagen, I almost did it..especially since it is booked for five days after my birthday.. but with things as they are here, it just wouldn't work..It would be a very selfish thing to do..Anyhow have fun, especially in Amsterdam..And stay safe.. sounds like everyone has given you some really good advice.. and enjoy getting to see the world.. there's nothing like seeing another country!!
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    thanks everyone...so I've heard from a few friends that youth hostels in Europe have an age limit of 25 and under...that true?
    Very few do. The overwhelming majority don't. I'm still a hosteller at 28. Friends who are in their high 30s have been with me in my rooms.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!