Currently passing a Kidney Stone

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Im no rookie to these things, but the past 24 hours are killing me. Severe abdominal pain as it works its way through......Any one have any advice? And yes the meds are already in the system.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    No, but . . . sorry, that's a bitch
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    edited December 2011
    YES! I've tried this on two separate occasions and I swear to you that this helps.

mix equal parts fresh-squeezed lemon juice with extra virgin olive oil and drink the mixture as fast as you possibly can. If you think you can handle it, go with four ounces of each. If not, try two ounces of each.

The taste is nowhere near as bad as it sounds.

***EDIT -- I left out the word "drink". I've corrected that above.
    Post edited by JTH on
  • Had my first stone about 3 weeks ago. A friend swore from experience that drinking Apple Cider Vinegar would help dissolve them. The smell was so nauseating that I couldn't possibly bring myself to actually drink it, but maybe you can try it? I was advised to mix it with orange juice, if that helps.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • cranberry juice please!!! that works very well!
    Usually known as...........
    Arnhem 2006 - Nijmegen 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Nijmegen 2010 - Amsterdam I 2012
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    don't mean to derail this thread, but I have a question for those of you who have had kidney stones. did you drink a lot of milk before you had stones?

I have heard that milk drinkers are more susceptible to getting stones. I drink milk like water, I absolutley love it. at home I drink it with everything...pizza, pasta, whatever.

my father was same way and he developed stones. I'm kinda paranoid about getting them, but I don't see myself giving up milk...it's too good.
    The Fixer wrote:
    don't mean to derail this thread, but I have a question for those of you who have had kidney stones. did you drink a lot of milk before you had stones?

I have heard that milk drinkers are more susceptible to getting stones. I drink milk like water, I absolutley love it. at home I drink it with everything...pizza, pasta, whatever.

my father was same way and he developed stones. I'm kinda paranoid about getting them, but I don't see myself giving up milk...it's too good.
    No, but I drink a lot of coffee (black). that's also supposedly a contributing factor. but I guess there are different types of stones. So if they're calcium stones, then I guess dairy could be the culprit.
  • The Fixer wrote:

i have it sometimes with beer....
    Usually known as...........
    Arnhem 2006 - Nijmegen 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Nijmegen 2010 - Amsterdam I 2012
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    Sorry to hear it!! :( I've had these twice (and I am not a big milk drinker). I didn't try anything other than the prescribed narcotic medication (darvocet, I believe). I liked using a heating pad on my back...I never tried any of the recommended concoctions mentioned here. Good luck and I hope it passes quickly.

Have you had a CT to see what the size is (as in, is it small enough to pass without lithotripsy?)
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Carey wrote:
    Sorry to hear it!! :( I've had these twice (and I am not a big milk drinker). I didn't try anything other than the prescribed narcotic medication (darvocet, I believe). I liked using a heating pad on my back...I never tried any of the recommended concoctions mentioned here. Good luck and I hope it passes quickly.

Have you had a CT to see what the size is (as in, is it small enough to pass without lithotripsy?)

I've passed so many stones in my life that I've given up on the CT/lithotripsy. For me, salt is the contributing factor. My stones are made of sodium, I avoid salt like its a poison! I've tried all the home remedies mentioned above, and was just hoping that someone might have one I've never heard of.....Two vicodin down the hatch right now isn't helpin a whole lot!!!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I have no helpful input except that I just want to say that I have a big fear of getting a kidney stone, and having to pass it. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I have no helpful input except that I just want to say that I have a big fear of getting a kidney stone, and having to pass it. :(
    You don't want to ever get one. You may get lucky but the odds are against it never happening in your lifetime

I'll tell you one thing. The part that you probably envision as being the most painful is actually the least painful.
  • JTH wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    You don't want to ever get one. You may get lucky but the odds are against it never happening in your lifetime

I'll tell you one thing. The part that you probably envision as being the most painful is actually the least painful.

Yep - the stone moving from your kidney to your bladder is what will really hurt.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Eek! never experienced that but I hope you get over that pain quickly.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me