Bridgestone Developing Airless, Puncture-Proof Tire

Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This sounds pretty cool. I wonder how long they last in terms of miles.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070 ... re-concept
Forget about limited mileage run-flat tires; Japanese tire giant Bridgestone has unveiled a new non-pneumatic tire concept that’s completely puncture-proof.

The key is its non-pneumatic design that does away with air entirely, with the tire instead relying on a structure of spokes for its strength and cushioning effect.

This unique structure of spokes stretches along the inner sides of the tires supporting the weight of the vehicle. There's no need to periodically refill the tires with air, meaning they require less maintenance.

At the same time, the worry of punctures is eliminated. In addition, the spoke structure within the tire is made from reusable thermoplastic resin, and along with the rubber in the tread portion, the materials used in the tires are 100 percent recyclable.

Not surprisingly, Bridgestone believes the tires will be a viable and more environmentally-friendly alternative to conventional tires in the not too distant future.

The idea of non-pneumatic tires has been around for a while. In fact, rival tire manufacturer Michelin had a similar concept back in the year 2000. However, until now such concept tires have been impractical to produce for the mass market.

The good news is that Bridgestone is currently working on this technology with the aim of practical implementation.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    some other company make some and tested them. they looked weird, as if the car was floating.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I'm surprised this hasnt been done already and hit the market.
    Then again, how else will they make money if we arent buying tires regularly?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Airless%20Tire%2003.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I'm surprised this hasnt been done already and hit the market.

the tread woudl still need to be replaced. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

the tread woudl still need to be replaced. ;)

True, but I have duct tape! :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • If the cost and life is similar to regular tires, I would absolutely buy these.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Oh, it's been done -- 40 years ago...

lunar-rover-3.jpg
  • JTH wrote:

lunar-rover-3.jpg

haha, now we just need reduced gravity highways!
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    JTH wrote:

lunar-rover-3.jpg

Kinda underscores your point though, eh? The technology has existed for decades. Why hasn't anyone adapted it for the consumer market?
  • JTH wrote:
    Kinda underscores your point though, eh? The technology has existed for decades. Why hasn't anyone adapted it for the consumer market?

Because GM is about to unveil this:

jetsons_car.jpg
  • JTH wrote:
    JTH wrote:

lunar-rover-3.jpg

Good question. I dont know.
    Maybe the same reasons why electric cars are not more prevalent.
    Maybe big tire company execs bought everybody out that was developing these.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    the answer to everything is money.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    JK_Livin wrote:
    the answer to everything is money.

This.