Options

Possible fake 98 Hartford

pjungerspjungers Posts: 77
edited December 2011 in Lost Dogs
I saw this poster on ebay and thought it was interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARL-JAM-HARTF ... 500wt_1016

The guy might be right about it being a reproduction. The images on Expresso Beans show it says "Ames Design" at the bottom, not "Ames Poster". So does that make this one a fake?

Also, why do some images of this poster show the background as orange-ish and some have it as yellow?

If this is fake, I'm surprised that someone was still willing to spend almost $200 on it. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yes, definitely a fake. this one looks wrong, not just the wording. to my mind it is worthless.
  • Options
    That's definitely a fake. The colors are off. Here's what a real one looks like and you can see the "Ames Design" in the last pic.
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sha ... 1486797472
    So, yea, it's already at $200, wait til it ends. Unbelievable what people are pulling these days on some PJ fans who obviously have money to burn. I mean $500 for a backpack or a dvd, are you kidding me! And some people won't pay that for a true limited item like a real poster from 98 :)
    pjungers wrote:
    I saw this poster on ebay and thought it was interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEARL-JAM-HARTF ... 500wt_1016

The guy might be right about it being a reproduction. The images on Expresso Beans show it says "Ames Design" at the bottom, not "Ames Poster". So does that make this one a fake?

Also, why do some images of this poster show the background as orange-ish and some have it as yellow?

If this is fake, I'm surprised that someone was still willing to spend almost $200 on it. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I want this fucking poster so bad but there's no way I'm paying 500 plus for a legit one. I've been thinking about having an artist friend paint it on some canvas for me so I can just hang it in my man cave.
  • Options
    ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    theres been a bunch of weird prints lately on the bay that seem counterfeit to me - especially the ones from a seller that all the posters are size 20"x26", and they are all off-color and off-centered.

be careful what you bid on! :lol:
  • Options
    this was posted on BRY back in 2007.

Real on the left, fake on the right.

ebay_3_050111.jpg
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938

ebay_3_050111.jpg

Really off... I noticed that auction but the colors were so weird that it wasn't even worthy :|
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    arq wrote:

ebay_3_050111.jpg

Really off... I noticed that auction but the colors were so weird that it wasn't even worthy :|
    yep, the fake looks too bright and way less earthy than the real thing.
  • Options
    I don't get why fakes are obviously not the real thing. I mean come on! Make some fakes that look at least similar to the real poster!
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    Thanks for the visual. Although I must say, the fake in the side-by-side looks a lot like the "real one" in the slide show in the 3rd post above (i.e. yellow vs orange-ish).
  • Options
    Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound UK Posts: 345
    edited December 2011
    pjungers wrote:
    Thanks for the visual. Although I must say, the fake in the side-by-side looks a lot like the "real one" in the slide show in the 3rd post above (i.e. yellow vs orange-ish).
    think that's mainly due to the lighting in the slide show 3rd pic. the real one is definitely yellowy-orange in real life, rather than the bright yellow of the fake imo.

I think that's probably why the fake is not very similiar in colour to the original - I assume the person that made them used a picture off the net and therefore got the colour wrong.
    Post edited by Planet of Sound on
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    arq wrote:

ebay_3_050111.jpg

Variant :lol:
  • Options
    DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    What is weird is they can copy it all perfect and mess up the color?? I can put a pic on my $200 printer/scanner from Target and do a better job than that....They get the paper and ink and??? Yall think they did it purposely; oh I dont have that version?
  • Options
    ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    DAMON wrote:
    What is weird is they can copy it all perfect and mess up the color?? I can put a pic on my $200 printer/scanner from Target and do a better job than that....They get the paper and ink and??? Yall think they did it purposely; oh I dont have that version?

the ink they used was probably cheap ass paint, wasnt colorfast. the colors might have matched at one time, but probably discolored over time. or maybe they were just bad at mixing ink.

and i doubt this was forged using a web pic - the size and details look like theyre matching closely according to the pics (though i havent seen either in person) - there would be way too many measurement flaws.
  • Options
    eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    I like the fact that the seller on eBay says it's fake on the description, and people still spend that kind of money on it.... WTF??? :?
  • Options
    I like the fake one better
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    Chicagone wrote:
    So, yea, it's already at $200, wait til it ends. Unbelievable what people are pulling these days on some PJ fans who obviously have money to burn. I mean $500 for a backpack or a dvd, are you kidding me! And some people won't pay that for a true limited item like a real poster from 98 :)

who is "pulling" anything?

it's called reality... people are paying stupid prices for stuff so that makes people sell stuff

i understand it seems silly... but to say someone is pulling something makes it seems like there's something shady or illegal about it
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    Chicagone wrote:

it's called reality... people are paying stupid prices for stuff so that makes people sell stuff

i understand it seems silly... but to say someone is pulling something makes it seems like there's something shady or illegal about it
    I think by pulling, he just meant "pulling in" in terms of $$, not anything to do with a scam..just my thought
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    branscop wrote:
    Chicagone wrote:

I think by pulling, he just meant "pulling in" in terms of $$, not anything to do with a scam..just my thought

but he says "pulling these days on some PJ fans"

i see your point on pulling in... but he says pulling on

anyhoo... people will learn soon when they buy this stuff to flip and then get stuck with it