Congrats Ron Santo!!!

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Just wish you were here in more than spirit to accept. Such a class act. 8-) :thumbup: :clap:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    better late than never though, but sad he isn't around to appreciate it
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    very happy to read this today. great news
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    DS1119 wrote:
    Just wish you were here in more than spirit to accept. Such a class act. 8-) :thumbup: :clap:
    :clap: :thumbup:

This is great news and about time!
    I lost a bet...
  • Black4Black4 Posts: 59
    About time! it is a shame though that those sorry fucks from the HOF didn't do it sooner.
  • They wait till he dies, then vote him in - What a bunch of pricks!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    oh no
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    The sad thing is that he specifically said he didn't want to go in posthumously. Though I'm sure he would take this over nothing, and he mainly meant that he wanted to be alive to see it, but still, it's sad.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • This was well deserved but should have happened many years ago because this day would have meant so very much to him!

Here are some other quotes

In a city that loved people with one name—Jordan … Ditka … Sweetness … Ernie …—it’s not an exaggeration to say the name they loved the most was Ronnie.

And in his life, too short but incredibly well lived, he wanted two things more than anything—a World Series title for his Cubs and to hear someone say, “Ronnie, welcome to the Hall of Fame.”

I wish we could all see him push himself out of his chair on that stage this summer, surrounded by Hall of Famers—fellow Hall of Famers—and fumble and mumble and shriek his way through a speech that wouldn’t leave a dry eye anywhere in Cooperstown.

Yes, this is a happy day. It’s a sad one, too.
    I have faced it,... A life wasted,...
    I'm never going back again.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    PrlJamin10 wrote:
    This was well deserved but should have happened many years ago because this day would have meant so very much to him!

In a city that loved people with one name—Jordan … Ditka … Sweetness … Ernie …—it’s not an exaggeration to say the name they loved the most was Ronnie.

And in his life, too short but incredibly well lived, he wanted two things more than anything—a World Series title for his Cubs and to hear someone say, “Ronnie, welcome to the Hall of Fame.”

I wish we could all see him push himself out of his chair on that stage this summer, surrounded by Hall of Famers—fellow Hall of Famers—and fumble and mumble and shriek his way through a speech that wouldn’t leave a dry eye anywhere in Cooperstown.

I'm a Yankee fan but I hope Cubs fans come in masses and take the town over! :thumbup: :clap:
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Best news of the day was the Santo got into the HOF.

It is sad that its about a year too late. Makes me hate Joe Morgan even more.
    Seems like a good day to bump this thread. :)
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    PrlJamin10 wrote:
    This was well deserved but should have happened many years ago because this day would have meant so very much to him!

Good stuff.

MLB Network aired "This Old Cub" yesterday. He really was an amazing guy.

Congratulations Ron.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    johnyatari wrote:
    They wait till he dies, then vote him in - What a bunch of pricks!

If he wouldn't have died he wouldn't have got in.
    DewieCox wrote:
    johnyatari wrote:
    They wait till he dies, then vote him in - What a bunch of pricks!

If he wouldn't have died he wouldn't have got in.

They changed the voting process for this year's class. My guess is that Santo was going to get in this year under the new process but he just wasn't around long enough to get to enjoy it.

Have not seen This Old Cubs yet but have heard that it is a great tribute to Ronnie.
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    he just wasn't around long enough to get to enjoy it.

I bet you he's enjoying it with a big beer and a huge smile. 8-)
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    he just wasn't around long enough to get to enjoy it.

I bet you he's enjoying it with a big beer and a huge smile. 8-)
    Long overdue!!

Why do you assume he's drinking a beer? Do you think that on the "other side" they have commercial beer? I wonder if they have some sort of super-awesome Heaven Beer?!? Hmmmm.... :?

If that info was in the bible, I just might have to give religion a try! :lol:

....I also wonder if he got his legs back. :?
    mca47 wrote:
    Long overdue!!

Why do you assume he's drinking a beer? Do you think that on the "other side" they have commercial beer? I wonder if they have some sort of super-awesome Heaven Beer?!? Hmmmm.... :?

If that info was in the bible, I just might have to give religion a try! :lol:

....I also wonder if he got his legs back. :?

I believe heaven is what you want it to be. :D
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Long long long overdue! Congrats Ronnie, one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Truly a shame it took so long and he wasn't here to enjoy it, yeah I'm yelling at Joe Morgan for this. One of my treasured sports possessions is an autographed picture of myself with Ron. Just wish I would have gotten the chance to have him add HOF to the picture. It just hasn't been the same listening to cubs games on 720.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14