Options

Holy Grails! If you got 'em, let us see!!!

LeatherMosquitoManLeatherMosquitoMan Posts: 4,034
edited December 2011 in Lost Dogs
Finally. After 13 years, 8 months and 9 days (Yeah, i used an online counter) I have this in my possession.

Wasn't cheap, but that doesn't matter. It's from my first show on 3/15/98 and completes the poster-for-every-show quest.

IMG_0598.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

securedownload1.jpg
-Chris
Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
2003 Brisbane 1
2006 LA 1 & 2
2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
2011 St. Louis (EV)
2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    Very very nice...was looking at that today online...congrats on the acquisition :D
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    That is awesome that you were able to track down your holy grail. I love that you already have it proudly displayed on your wall.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Congratulations! :clap::clap::clap:

It looks very nice on your wall. Did you paint the wall to colour coordinate with the print? :D
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    That is awesome that you were able to track down your holy grail. I love that you already have it proudly displayed on your wall.

Thanks Jason. It wasn't easy, as anybody trying to track down pretty much any 1998 poster would know. It only arrived yesterday afternoon before i left for work, and i went out and bought a frame this morning. I will get one made to custom fit it, it's a weird size, like 14 x 22 or something like that, so i just got an 18 x 24 for the moment to at least get it up on display. It definitely makes me smile.

Hopefully you get yours as well sir. 8-)
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    Very very nice...was looking at that today online...congrats on the acquisition :D

It really is beautiful. I mean, you can tell it's nearly 14 years old, but it's beautiful. And in all honesty, it's more about the sentiment and what it means as opposed to what it is or what it's worth.
    Suziemay wrote:

It looks very nice on your wall. Did you paint the wall to colour coordinate with the print? :D

Thank you! :D And no, that was the wife's choice of colour a few months ago... honestly, i'm not a fan of it, lol but it suits Pontius Pilate and his Dog.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    my holy grail is a poster that doesn't exist, from the 93 summer canadian tour, a month or so before they started doing gig posters. an artist friend of mine is designing one for me right now. once it's done, i'll post a pic.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

Thanks Jason. It wasn't easy, as anybody trying to track down pretty much any 1998 poster would know. It only arrived yesterday afternoon before i left for work, and i went out and bought a frame this morning. I will get one made to custom fit it, it's a weird size, like 14 x 22 or something like that, so i just got an 18 x 24 for the moment to at least get it up on display. It definitely makes me smile.

Hopefully you get yours as well sir. 8-)

You are right about the 1998 posters - they are not easy to find.

Very cool that you have the posters from every show that you have attended. I have all of mine except the 1998 Chicago (first show and holy grail poster) and 2000 Chicago (the last one I saw sold for more than $1500).
  • Options
    my holy grail is a poster that doesn't exist, from the 93 summer canadian tour, a month or so before they started doing gig posters. an artist friend of mine is designing one for me right now. once it's done, i'll post a pic.

Please do! I would love to see it.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

Thank you! :D And no, that was the wife's choice of colour a few months ago... honestly, i'm not a fan of it, lol but it suits Pontius Pilate and his Dog.

Your wife must have known you were gonna get the poster :D
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:

Lol shhh. What poster?
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    Suziemay wrote:

Lol shhh. What poster?

:lol::lol::lol:

Uh-oh.
  • Options

Please do! I would love to see it.

I gave her my design thoughts, and she said she'll be busy for a while with xmas and all, but hopes to have it done early in the new year. Can't wait. Already have a spot on my basement wall for it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    securedownload2.jpg

securedownload1.jpg
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    That is a really cool poster! Congrats. My holy grail is Dallas 98 poster, one of my favorite shows that I attended. I will never get that damn poster :lol:

Also, the MSG II Donkey Kong. When I got to the merch booth they were all gone :( I got the ramones and buzzsaw shirt however.

Once again, awesome poster man!
    "Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age, and beyond color straight to the mind and heart of all people." - Ben Harper
  • Options
    MattCam420 wrote:
    That is a really cool poster! Congrats. My holy grail is Dallas 98 poster, one of my favorite shows that I attended. I will never get that damn poster :lol:

Also, the MSG II Donkey Kong. When I got to the merch booth they were all gone :( I got the ramones and buzzsaw shirt however.

Never say never. I had begun to think that way about this one, and i'd only seen it on ebay maybe 3 times in 5 or 6 years. And everybody on ebeans with it never wanted to sell.

Just be patient.... there'll be one out there, somewhere, eventually. I literally checked ebay every single day for the past 6 months. And one day, there it was.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,147
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeo26I14jf4

Thanks to Lost Dogs friends back in January of this year I was able to finally complete my PJ vinyl collection that started in 1994. A little thank you video card for all those involved.

http://www.ligerskickball.blogspot.com/

In 2010 my "real" holy grail was given to me by my childhood best friend. 1998 Ames from St.Louis. We went to the show together. I bought the poster you see outside the frame and regretted not getting the "official" city/show poster. He randomly gave me the Ames print - with the condition that I never get rid of it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Thanks to Lost Dogs friends back in January of this year I was able to finally complete my PJ vinyl collection that started in 1994. A little thank you video card for all those involved.

In 2010 my "real" holy grail was given to me by my childhood best friend. 1998 Ames from St.Louis. We went to the show together. I bought the poster you see outside the frame and regretted not getting the "official" city/show poster. He randomly gave me the Ames print - with the condition that I never get rid of it.

That's awesome dude. 1998 Posters are extremely hard to come by. Good for you, and it looks great. I can't wait to get mine in a custom fit frame.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    why are 98 posters so hard to find?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    Just watched that video, haha got a kick out of it! Congrats man, thats awesome. I too am now only missing LO2L, and Benny. Glad to see others who have completed the Quest for the Holy Grails... gives me hope!

BTW, know where a guy can score LO2L haha?

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    MattCam420 wrote:

Never say never. I had begun to think that way about this one, and i'd only seen it on ebay maybe 3 times in 5 or 6 years. And everybody on ebeans with it never wanted to sell.

Just be patient.... there'll be one out there, somewhere, eventually. I literally checked ebay every single day for the past 6 months. And one day, there it was.

agreed....it'll turn up if you're willing to pay the going rate ;)

IMG_3117.jpg

the donkey kong, I wouldn't think would be too tough...
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    photo3-2.jpg

1998 Kansas City

i'm still floored that it's actually on my wall. several friends on this board banded together to get it for me. i can't say thanks enough...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

They weren't seen as collectibles. People hung them up on their walls with pin tacs or just folded them up...treated them like any other college-dorm room poster.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,071
    Yeah was lucky to score my first 10c poster from here in 98 .. rushmore!
  • Options
    HussaHussa Posts: 111
    That's so dope, man! Congrats!!
    Sept. 4, 2005 - Calgary Saddledome
    Sept. 21, 2011 - Calgary Saddledome
    Dec. 2, 2013 - "THE BLIZZARD SHOW" -Calgary Saddledome
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    they made very limited editions of 1998 posters

editions ranged from 1000, to 500, to 350, a few with less, a few with more....and they were actually good posters as well.

that Alpine valley 98 evaded me for years, I finally got lucky this year, although it is signed right in the front of the print by Frank Black...so fucking what!

Think of everything is being limited now and what a bitch/cluster it is getting the stuff like vinyl and posters, well it was pretty much like that for all the 98 posters. It wasn't an obsession like it is now. I remember seeing the Alpine poster at the show and passing since it was just a fucking poster and I would rather have a t-shirt (insert sound of me hitting my head against a wall). I had 40 bucks for merch and a t-shirt was really what I wanted!
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    photo3-2.jpg

1998 Kansas City

i'm still floored that it's actually on my wall. several friends on this board banded together to get it for me. i can't say thanks enough...

I know the feeling. I came home today and my wife had it hanging on the wall right inside our front door. I got this huge grin!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    they made very limited editions of 1998 posters

editions ranged from 1000, to 500, to 350, a few with less, a few with more....and they were actually good posters as well.

that Alpine valley 98 evaded me for years, I finally got lucky this year, although it is signed right in the front of the print by Frank Black...so fucking what!

Think of everything is being limited now and what a bitch/cluster it is getting the stuff like vinyl and posters, well it was pretty much like that for all the 98 posters. It wasn't an obsession like it is now. I remember seeing the Alpine poster at the show and passing since it was just a fucking poster and I would rather have a t-shirt (insert sound of me hitting my head against a wall). I had 40 bucks for merch and a t-shirt was really what I wanted!

yeah. I was the exact same way in 1998. And i lost that fucking yueld tour shirt too. Gun to my head, i'm taking the poster first, every time.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options

Go through anyone's holy grail that's a poster, and i'd say a high percentage are from 1998. That year was also a LOT of people's first shows... and with such limited copies, now that posters are relevant and collectors items, pretty much any copy of any poster belongs to someone that actually wants it.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options

They weren't seen as collectibles. People hung them up on their walls with pin tacs or just folded them up...treated them like any other college-dorm room poster.

I got a '98 poster from 2-feign-reluctance that was apparently hung in a college dorm. So I am carrying on its legacy and it is hanging in my college dorm. :D
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    I'd just like to put out a word of caution to anyone finally getting their holy grail poster: Do not let it sit in an ill-suited frame for too long. Humidity and such will get to it and create waves in the print. It's best not to sit on true glass, though plexi isn't as much of a concern.