Alternative medicine

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone explored anything alternative in relieving a medical condition?

I have a fractured femur that is not healing even though I had bone graft surgery. I'm considering acupuncture, reiki, laser therapy, etc. But it all costs money and I certainly can't waste it trying to find out what works. Any one with any ideas for bone healing with alternative medicine? All the typical western medicine theories of taking vitamins, exercise, and surgery is not working.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Healing time for a fracture can take up to 18 months . Double that if you are a smoker.
    Have patience and continue weight bearing exercises under the guidance of a PT.
    Do not dismiss vitamins and minerals. You must remember vitamins and minerals work best in the form of natural foods and NOT SUPPLEMENTS. Nutrients work synergistically (together ) as in food. Not isolated as in supplements. Supplements are like PJ touring missing band members. Better than nothing, but get your nutrients from fresh foods.
    If can forward any info on other options I will
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Healing time for a fracture can take up to 18 months . Double that if you are a smoker.
    Have patience and continue weight bearing exercises under the guidance of a PT.
    Do not dismiss vitamins and minerals. You must remember vitamins and minerals work best in the form of natural foods and NOT SUPPLEMENTS. Nutrients work synergistically (together ) as in food. Not isolated as in supplements. Supplements are like PJ touring missing band members. Better than nothing, but get your nutrients from fresh foods.
    If can forward any info on other options I will

Sure, I welcome more info. It's been 20 months, with 6 total fractures at both ends of the bone. After being given meds for nerve pain in my hand for a few months, I found out that the meds were bad for bones without any of my doctors telling me for months. So the bone was a non-union, no signs of healing whatsoever. I had bone graft surgery 14 months ago, and it healed the other fractures. The last fracture is at the high end of the femur which gets the least amount of blood flow, which is why I walk every day. (the rod in my leg is great). Your advice is what I've been following for over almost two years now! And it's not working. And that's why I'm seeking alternative therapies. Thanks!
  • I had plantar faciitis for about a year and a half. Tried PT,massage therapy, cortisone injections nothing worked.I then tried acupuncture and the pain was gone 3 weeks later. It may have been a combo of all the RX, or just the acupunture that relieved the pain. It may have just healed over time and acupuncture had no impact. Contact an MD who's has a masters n Oriental med. It is worth a shot
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I had acupuncture regularly for a period of months several years back.

I have a couple chronic illnesses for which there are few treatment options via western medicine.

Acupuncture is fantastic!

It alleviate many of the symptoms (chronic pain, insomnia, cognitive difficulties, lack of appetite, tremors, "seizure-like episodes," etc), and cured my sciatica.

I highly recommend it.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I've been wondering about acupuncture, but originally thought it was only for chronic pain. I'll have to look more into it, I'm skeptical it would actually heal a bone fracture, but I'm willing to look into everything. Thanks!
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I've been wondering about acupuncture, but originally thought it was only for chronic pain. I'll have to look more into it, I'm skeptical it would actually heal a bone fracture, but I'm willing to look into everything. Thanks!

Oh, acupuncture is for a whole lot more than pain!

My aunt had her multiple chemical sensitivity cured through acupuncture. If you know anything about that condition, you know it's a bitch to live with.

It might be able to do some good for your fracture, perhaps just be promoting healing.
  • Acupuncture can increase blood supply, which translates in to healing
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    If you are looking for homeopathic remedies/medicines I would try: Osteoheel

http://www.drugnatural.com/p/165169

I worked with this line of products with many many many good results. Also Traumeel can help, that's a pain reducer/anti-inflammatory. I like the cream/ointment version.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • It is important to note that, in the more than 200 years of exiistence, homeopathy has never been able to demonstrate that it actually works. Scientific advances have lead to a rapid decline of homeopathy.
    It is important to note that, in the more than 200 years of exiistence, homeopathy has never been able to demonstrate that it actually works. Scientific advances have lead to a rapid decline of homeopathy.

that's cool for you...personally, I have seen it work. in a medical setting. On several dozens of patients.

Acupuncture is also related to 'alternative medicine' so in essence, when you dismiss homeopathy, you are also dismissing acupuncture...which BTW you seem to place in high regard.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • In an earlier post I stated that I was unsure of the true benefits of acupunture. I recieved treatments and the pain went away within 3 weeks. Prior to that, i tried PT, MT,MD therapies with no relief. Things may have finally healed from multifactorial influences. It may have been the acupuncture alone . I am not sure.
    Increasing blood flow with acupuncture the AMA has concluded valid.
    Since many diseases and conditions are cyclical, symptoms may alleviate on their own. Time and the body's ability to heal without assistance can eliminate many diseases of their own accord. Another words things are more complex than taking a homeopathic (so called remedy ) and attributing the healing to it.
    I NEVER said 'just take this and you shall be healed' :roll:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    If you are looking for homeopathic remedies/medicines I would try

In conjunction with other alternative medicines, i.e. chiropractic, acupuncture, reki, etc. People have found relief using homeopathy.

Also you should learn to use correct English wording in your sentences, I had to re-read your statement a few times to understand what you were trying to say:
    Another words things are more complex than taking a homeopathic (so called remedy ) and attributing the healing to it.

Jeanwah asked for suggestions, my statement was merely that, a suggestion, not a 'fact' or 'truth'.

If you would like to discuss the validity of homeopathy, please take it to AMT because that discussion does not belong here.

Thanks.

- Christopher McCandless
  • It took you so long to read my post, because you had to find the dictionary.
    I would like to continue this discussion. I can learn from it, and so can you.
    It took you so long to read my post, because you had to find the dictionary.
    I would like to continue this discussion. I can learn from it, and so can you.

I realize you are new here...but kindly re-read the posting guidelines...they are located at the top of each forum. I have pasted the most important ones for your reading pleasure.

Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines

The Ten Club Community forum is an all-ages, topical and moderated forum. We'll be talking about Pearl Jam's music, new albums and tours and all Pearl Jam and Ten Club activities. Most of all...please be kind and take care of each other and we hope you have lots of FUN!!

Posting Guidelines
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

4. Please respect topic integrity by not derailing discussions from the original poster’s intent (OP). You can begin a new topic of your own in the appropriate forum.

- Christopher McCandless
  • You are so misguided and inaccurate with your statements. You flip fop from one post to the next.
    Now you are putting your tail between your legs and grasping for the forum rules.
    I did not violate any rules .I was just having a debate and my opponent was no match.