Cocktail attire

Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Invited to a benefit dinner. My wife and I are guests. It's evening and cocktail attire is the dress choice.

What should I wear? Can I go with regular suit minus the tie?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    Invited to a benefit dinner. My wife and I are guests. It's evening and cocktail attire is the dress choice.

What should I wear? Can I go with regular suit minus the tie?

Traditionally it means a nice suit and tie optional.

I know that may not be too much of a help, but as long as you are wearing a nice suit, you should be good to go with cocktail attire. I would bring a tie just in case. And make sure your shoes are polished! :D
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,551
    can't go wrong with something like this:

ferrellgoulet%20sep14.jpg
    www.myspace.com
    can't go wrong with something like this:

ferrellgoulet%20sep14.jpg

:lol:
    Nobody does cocktail attire better than Goulet. Or Ferrell as Goulet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_Vtb2nZMM
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    a green plastic visor and a speedo works every time.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I've never understood why you would bother putting on a suit if you're going to skip the tie.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    JTH wrote:
    I've never understood why you would bother putting on a suit if you're going to skip the tie.

i have to wear a suit and no tie to work and it is the best thing in the world. a man's neck has to breathe!

although, since i do not wear one to work, i do like to wear one every now and then to functions when it is optional.
  • black-tuxedo-shirt-lg.jpg
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    black-tuxedo-shirt-lg.jpg

Classy.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    here ya go...suit, no tie

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4-nU4Z6pIDoH2-HzYajhDMr7ucyAqVvPWc9trbD2MBEhuYTcH

it's perfect!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    RKCNDY wrote:
    here ya go...suit, no tie

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4-nU4Z6pIDoH2-HzYajhDMr7ucyAqVvPWc9trbD2MBEhuYTcH

it's perfect!

:lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    rival. wrote:
    JTH wrote:

i have to wear a suit and no tie to work and it is the best thing in the world. a man's neck has to breathe!

although, since i do not wear one to work, i do like to wear one every now and then to functions when it is optional.
    Do you have to wear a full-on suit? Or can you wear a sportcoat with a separate pair of pants?

Lauren-by-Ralph-Lauren-2button-sportcoat-brown.jpg

For whatever reason, I think a suit just looks unfinished without a tie, but it's OK for a jacket/trousers combo.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I have a feeling it is more relaxed then back in the day

most important be comfortable and be yourself

nothing worse than putting your self out there when you do not feel confident

clothes make the man (woman) but they must be yours and be right for you

Enjoy! :D