My kid's first guitar rig

Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
edited December 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I posted this pic on the porch as part of a story, but probably worth posting here too :)

This is in my stepson's bedroom.

guitar.jpg

What do you think as a kid's first guitar set up. He's 13 and is pretty dedicated so I decided to drop some coin and get him good gear rather than struggle on the cheap strat copy he had.

2011 USA Gibson Les Paul Studio (lighter worn model). Killer sound and neck - feels awesome.
2011 USA Fender Stratocaster American Special. Has a nice humbucker, pic does not do the colour any justice.
Orange 20w Amp.
The accoustic is a Chinese Fender - actually not too bad.

The sound coming out of his room is killer! ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AWESOME!

i did not pick up a guitar until i was 18 and did not have good gear until age 23 or so. i think you did the right thing by getting him some nice gear. i hated playing on my learner guitars. once i invested some money in my gear you immediately know where that money went. and if for some reason he decides he does not want to play anymore, that stuff holds it's value so you can always sell it and not be out very much money.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • awesome Paul!! :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Very lucky kid!
    Those are nice guitars, wish someone would buy me a Gibson. And an Orange amp. Haha!

Cool poster there too, I've got that one!
  • AWESOME!

i did not pick up a guitar until i was 18 and did not have good gear until age 23 or so. i think you did the right thing by getting him some nice gear. i hated playing on my learner guitars. once i invested some money in my gear you immediately know where that money went. and if for some reason he decides he does not want to play anymore, that stuff holds it's value so you can always sell it and not be out very much money.

I didn't start to take great steps in improvement until I got my first Gibson. I had a 1967 Gibson Les Paul gold top.

You don't need to tell me about musical equipment holding its value (or appreciating). I sold the gold top for $1200 in the 90s when i switched over to playing bass. I'd probably get 5 figures for it now. I have an awesome Fender Limited Edition Jass bazz, but with I had the Gold Top still.
  • Very lucky kid!
    Those are nice guitars, wish someone would buy me a Gibson. And an Orange amp. Haha!

I was at the show :)

My concert video channel:
    http://youtube.com/pauljam2009
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Fender is gnarly. I love that color.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited December 2011
    They are great guitars - was a good time to be in the USA shopping with Aussie dollars :)

Among those picks on the poster frame are:

Eddie Vedder Evil Kenvil (from Perth PJ 2009 gig)
    Mike Backspacer (from Perth 2009 PJ Gig)
    Dave Grohl (from LA 2011 FF Gig)
    Chris Shiflett (from Perth 2011 FF gig)

He's a pick magnet - he scored them all at gigs himself. Next time we go to PJ I'll have to get him up on the rail on Stone's side to try for one of those elusive picks. 8-)
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • Very lucky kid!

I was at the show :)

My concert video channel:
    http://youtube.com/pauljam2009

As was I. Great show under the sky, even though Ed was sick. PJ better come back to Aus soon!
    Fender is gnarly. I love that color.

I love that Gibson. Its wicked. :twisted:
  • The set up on that Gibson is insane. I love it.

It has the low tech brown worn finish with great pickups and a neck that just begs to be played. To tell you the truth, it is one of the best Les Paul's I've held - and so much lighter which is perfect for him. The rawness of the wood seems to give it this really nice warm tone. Going through a tube head and quad is sweet. The guys in Sam Ash on Sunset in LA (Scotty is a legend) plugged him into a marshall and an big orange and let him make some very loud noise for a while when he was trying out guitars (we tried about 20 in that store).The little 20w orange does it justice though - I thoroughly recommend it as a practise amp.
  • Sweet! You got me wanting to buy a Les Paul studio now!

I hear Orange amps are fantastic too. Would love to get a hold of one of them.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited December 2011
    Sweet! You got me wanting to buy a Les Paul studio now!

I was amazed at the quality of the Les Paul Studio actually, I'd always thought they were the poor cousin of the Deluxe or Standard, but this one really made me respect the guitar - I can recommend Scott V and the crew at Sam Ash in LA on Sunset in West Hollywood if you are near there - he looked after Marcus with patience and genuine superior caring service.

The orange is just a solid state prac amp, but it is better than the Roland Cube I used to use in the 90s - and I loved that amp.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • Great rig. I don't know how he could go in his room and not play for hours with that arsenal. Way to go!!!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....

I was amazed at the quality of the Les Paul Studio actually, I'd always thought they were the poor cousin of the Deluxe or Standard, but this one really made me respect the guitar - I can recommend Scott V at Sam Ash in LA if you are near there - he looked after Marcus with patience and genuine superior caring service.

The orange is just a solid state prac amp, but it is better than the Roland Cube I used to use in the 90s - and I loved that amp.

Well im in Australia, NSW, but am looking to purchase either a Gibson Les Paul or Fender American Telecaster (Ash) in the near future, so I got some researching to do.

I have a Cube 30, it packs a punch!

I was amazed at the quality of the Les Paul Studio actually, I'd always thought they were the poor cousin of the Deluxe or Standard, but this one really made me respect the guitar - I can recommend Scott V at Sam Ash in LA if you are near there - he looked after Marcus with patience and genuine superior caring service.

Well im in Australia, NSW, but am looking to purchase either a Gibson Les Paul or Fender American Telecaster in the near future, so I got some researching to do.

I have a Cube 30, it packs a punch!

I asked Scotty about mail order to Australia - he said he';d gladly package and ship a new guitar to Australia, form LA to Sydney is a very small hope these days and you'd get the guitar for near on half price. If you want his details shoot me a pm.
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    My 13 yr old out grew his cheap ibenez micro last year...hey, it was better than nothin and looked cool...

i need to let him pick out his own, next one...

in the mean time...he just plays my Les Paul...but he loves strummin' my Fender acoustic also...

Way cool set up there for him...would love to have an Orange someday...

PS...Also wish my crib was that clean!!! LOL.......Way Cool Poster too....
  • I asked Scotty about mail order to Australia - he said he';d gladly package and ship a new guitar to Australia, form LA to Sydney is a very small hope these days and you'd get the guitar for near on half price. If you want his details shoot me a pm.

Cool thanks! Not sure when I will have the funds, hopefully soon :? , but I will definately keep it in mind. it's probably the wise thing to do to order directly from the US.
  • I asked Scotty about mail order to Australia - he said he';d gladly package and ship a new guitar to Australia, form LA to Sydney is a very small hope these days and you'd get the guitar for near on half price. If you want his details shoot me a pm.

Cool thanks! Not sure when I will have the funds, hopefully soon :? , but I will definately keep it in mind. it's probably the wise thing to do to order directly from the US.

Just allow $100 for a flight case.