Anyone, not shampoo?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Not to sound like a dirty hippy, but I'm considering it.. I OCD shower twice a day, but began thinking, is there really any need to shampoo? Especially if you are a guy???

Sweat is water soluble, correct?

So long as you soap your skin up, you won't begin to smell, correct?

Why waste money or time on shampoo.. It just hair. Why strip the hair of natural oils?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• :lol: ..i need that..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    :lol: ..i need that..
    This is a random, drunk after bad day at work question, of course. 8-)
  • Gob wrote:
    all cool..i saw where you are from,so i like u anyway ,even u say you will wash the hair at 2071 :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Gob wrote:
    all cool..i saw where you are from,so i like u anyway ,even u say you will wash the hair at 2071 :D
    I'm so fuckin confused right now. :D
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I was curious about this after I read your post, not to try, but just to see what people say. From what I can see most people recommend using baking soda to clean your hair if you're not going to use shampoo.

The strangest thing is that all of these articles say your hair will go through a "detox" period as it adjusts to a shampoo free existence. Claiming for a week or so hair was very oily, there was some discomfort, etc. But once that's over people swear by it.

I'll stick with the shampoo, but you're not the only one considering this apparently. But all seem to agree that water alone doesn't cut the mustard. They advocate alternatives like baking soda, apple cider vinegar, etc.

Good Luck!!!

phil_spector_052005.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    With a shaved head i havent had a bottle in the house for many years now... :D
    But my use of after-shave has grown... :)
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Gob wrote:
    I'm so fuckin confused right now. :D
    its the Greekglish do that..dont pay attention//
    im saying you are from Chicago...i love it :)
  • appie wrote:
    With a shaved head i havent had a bottle in the house for many years now... :D
    But my use of after-shave has grown... :)
    :D
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    You classify having a shower twice a day as OCD? :?

I've showered twice a day my entire life.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

thats why u shinning :D
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    ZiggyStar wrote:

thats why u shinning :D

I shower twice a day. I like to be clean....makes up for my mind! ;):lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I have heard that if you leave it hair becomes self cleaning.

Wouldn't work for me I don't believe, I'll end up looking like someone had spilled fat on my head.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I wash my hair most days...

Don't know why, I just do...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Gob wrote:
    Sweat is water soluble, correct?

Aye, but it's not just sweat you're washing off when you wash your hair, is it? It's the grease, possible styling products, pollution and all. :think:
    Gob wrote:
    Why waste money or time on shampoo.. It just hair. Why strip the hair of natural oils?

Because if you let those oils build up, they smell? When you wash your body, you're stripping it of it's natural oils, but it's for a good cause. :P There's skin under all that hair too.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i haven't used shampoo since i was a teenager. i just use soap to wash my hair but my hair is always short.... not sure how that would work with longer hair
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I'm widely regarded as having some of the most awesome, healthiest hair that many people have ever seen. (Just sayin' - not to toot my own horn, but just to offer credentials. :D ) People stop me on the streets to talk to me about my hair. Ed's girlfriend stopped me in the middle of one of his solo shows to compliment my hair. Everyone always asks how I get it so healthy & my secret is: don't wash it. Don't never wash it, but just wash it minimally. My hair's long, so I wash it about once a week (or more as needed, if I've been around people smoking or something). I don't use any kinds of products that would need to be washed out. There will probably be an adjustment period, but your hair really will produce less oil if you stop stripping it away every day. It's just really bad for your hair to wash it all the time and there's no reason to do it - we only do it because we've been taught to believe in some arbitrary social standard that benefits no one but the cosmetics/beauty industry. I don't think it's good to rinse it all the time either, since water can be harsh & I think that strips some of the oils as well. I haven't tried the baking soda routine, so I don't know about that. And I don't have any issues with it smelling bad, by the way. So that's my $0.02.